Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • greenman407
    Admiral
    • Feb 2009

Peter, here are the four "Known" Akula types. Which one do you have? Just curious.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Akula first and second types.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	75677Click image for larger version

Name:	Akula third and forth types.jpg
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	75678
    Last edited by greenman407; 01-08-2013, 05:58 PM.
    IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• Peter W
      Captain
      • May 2011

It is supposed to be based on K-157 Wild Boar or Vepr. So I imagine the 2nd 1 down. I believe that it depicts an Akula II of which there were only 1 or 2 of the other 2 apart from Gepard which is designated as Akula III are Akula I and Improved Akula. I understand that the term Akula II is overused based on there only being a few hulls but if you read up on the Russian forums it seems every Akula hull was different in some way or other.

Peter.

Comment

• greenman407
        Admiral
        • Feb 2009

If you look at the fourth one down youll notice a difference between it and the others as far as the large scoop.

Comment

• Peter W
          Captain
          • May 2011

Hello Mark found this picture shows the difference between the old and the new. The old one looks the same as the Sierra class scoop.

Name:	akula 99999999993.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	75725

Peter

Comment

• greenman407
            Admiral
            • Feb 2009

Now that you mention it................................................ .........................................do you have a picture of a Sierra scoop? You posted one the other day but it doesnt stick out very far. Are we sure its the same one as on the Akula? Take a look if you get a chance.
            Last edited by greenman407; 01-09-2013, 06:30 PM.

Comment

• Peter W
              Captain
              • May 2011

Mark, that isn't the reactor scoop, it seems to be a sensor of some sort but google translate doesn't help much on the Russian sites when they start getting technical. I have only seen the scoop for the Sierra in plans but whether those plans were trustworthy I don't know. I think they follow the design of the Typhoon but obviously smaller.

Typhoon scoop

Name:	typhoon 991.jpg
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	75743

Peter

Comment

• Peter W
                Captain
                • May 2011

Hello all me again not done as much as I would have liked this weekend. Hospital, kids and all that but I have managed to finish the holes in the lower hull. Unsure of what to do next. I think I may start opening up the holes in the upper hull next then I can start looking at bracing the hull, a common theme with the Scaleships hulls seems to be slight twisting etc. If I do the holes first I will then know where not to put the bracing. besides I like filing holes, don't know why just do.

All the holes filed.

Name:	Akula b 97.jpg
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	75867

Peter

Comment

• Peter W
                  Captain
                  • May 2011

We continue,

I have now moved on to the upper hull, the holes I am filing out at the moment all have etch fit to them so I am not filing out to the marked line but am stopping just short so as to give the brass something to fix to. I have decided that all the flaps for these holes will be open, I prefer that look.

Name:	Akula b 993.jpg
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	75925

Name:	Akula b 994.jpg
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	75926

21 down 9 to go.

Peter.

Comment

• alad61
                    Commander
                    • Jan 2012

Looking good so far Peter.

There is something about the look of Russian subs that is to me a little enigmatic. I have the Sheerline one and that is a great boat to drive but not overly accurate like the scale ships one. It would be intersesting to know if Chris's wtc worked in the Scale shipyards one.
                    Cheers,
                    Alec.

Reality is but a dream...
                    But to dream is a reality

Comment

• Peter W
                      Captain
                      • May 2011

Alec,

Years and years ago I nearly bought the Sheerline Akula but went with Trafalgar instead, possibly a patriotic move on my part who knows. Anyway I have been wondering whether the WTC from the Trafalgar would go in the Akula, I am not confident though as the external fixings that hold the WTC together probably make it too wide to go in. When I have the time I will get the Trafalgar out from where it is docked and have a play.

Just to save confusion though this Akula is the Scaleships model not the Scale Shipyards one.

All the best,

Peter

Comment

• Subculture
                        Admiral
                        • Feb 2009

Pretty sure Sheerline use 11cm diameter PVC poo pipe for their WTC's. The rod will add two or three centimetres at least, so it might just squeeze on width wise, but I have my doubts that it will fit lengthwise, as the Trafalgar is a much larger scaled boat.

Comment

• Peter W
                          Captain
                          • May 2011

Andy, think you are going to be right about the length of the WTC.........................poo pipe, how quaint.

This weekend I got a fair bit done for me. 64 holes and counting.

Name:	Akula b 997.jpg
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	75942

After the vent holes were all dealt with I had to have a play with the etch and indulged by having a look to see how pretty they looked.

Name:	Akula b 999.jpg
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	75943

I have decided to have them all open but thought I would show them in both positions.

Next I moved onto the 4 vents on the sides of the sail. SIDENOTE, although this is a stunning model and I am really happy with it there are 1 or 2 little issues with it. Here is 1 of them.

Name:	Akula b 991.jpg
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	75944

As you can see there is a slight resin deposit on the said indents. The indent on the right is as it came, the one on the left is after I grew a pair and went at it, freehand, with a diamond burr. This side wasn't too bad to deal with but the other side bore the full amount of my extensive foul language. Ultimately however, I eventually got the desired result.

Name:	Akula b 995.jpg
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	75945

I am now faced with more vent holes with etched parts along the top of the hull but these ones have no indented marks to help so I expect more foul language, it is good that I have an extensive vocabulary in swearing or it could get boring. I do have a reasonably good idea of how I am going to do it though.

Peter

Comment

• Subculture
                            Admiral
                            • Feb 2009

Are the parts you need to indent the same size? If so couldn't you make a fence out of some scrap metal, that should speed thinks up a bit. The boats I've seen converted have used 100mm diameter acrylic pipe, in an effort to keep the cylinder below the waterline and minimise displacement.

Comment

• Peter W
                              Captain
                              • May 2011

Andy, the fence is a good idea the only problem I face is the vents I now need to do are nearly all marked but the marks aren't recessed so getting the brass flush is going to be harder. ( recessed is probably a better word than indented, sorry)

I was thinking 100mm pipe. I do have 3m of 80mm pipe aswell ( long, long story) but haven't really thought too hard about that bit yet.

Peter

Comment

• alad61
                                Commander
                                • Jan 2012

Hi Peter. There's no confusion on my part. I have the sheerline akula & you have scale shipyards. I was just wether the etc in my akula would fit the one you are doing is all.
                                Cheers,
                                Alec.

Reality is but a dream...
                                But to dream is a reality

Comment

Working...