Scaleships Akula II
Collapse
X
-
This is one fine looking kit! Are they still available, and if so, where do I buy?
MLeave a comment:
-
Juan, nice picture. They will be done soon.
Yesterday I fitted the 2 round things ? the Russian translation on the plans doesn't make sense so.....round things. Again these need to be rebated into the hull so I started with a 1/16" drill bit in the centre of the mark and made it progressively bigger upto 6.5mm ( As a Brit my drill stock is metric and imperial with equal measure but 6.5 mm is about a 1/4")this was then very lightly drilled backwards with a 11/32" drill bit , the round thing is said diameter, till I had the correct depth rebate.
The round thing was then glued into place I used a little poetic licence and made 2 of the hole slightly bigger.
Front Back
I also managed to get the upper rudder started.
I also started on the grates I talked about the other day.
PeterLeave a comment:
-
-
Nope. The Commie's don't use cleats. They use bollards.
MLeave a comment:
-
Ok all the vents have now been done even the one I screwed up.
As it happened I hadn't got all of them. Consulting the plans I noticed that 2 of the vents are not marked on the hull. Now these 2 run in the opposite direction to all the rest and are affected by the safety rails so are a worthwhile detail to add.
Marked by the thin red squares.
So I set out to mark them out then to drill and file the hole before rebating for the vent to fit flush, as I have previously explained and finally fitted the brass.
Next are 2 side vents that are basically square grilles that are 2/3rds of the way down the Submarine on the top half but there are a further 12 possibly to fit on the lower hull, I am as yet undecided as to wether I will fit these or not.
PeterLeave a comment:
-
Ok Port side coming along nicely, found an easier way to go about the vents which is typical half way through doing them.
I also have to admit to a mistake. I have learned not to sand the vent covers back too far otherwise you get the result in picture 2. Too thin a piece of brass to take anymore treatment.
We live and learn.
PeterLeave a comment:
-
Juan,
Hello mate, I am enjoying it a lot, the overwhelming thing is the brass etch and the amount of work to get the bit fitted properly ie. recessed into the hull but thee brass detail and things like the SOKS and reactor scoops make this an exciting prospect and I have always wanted a Russian sub with a pod on the rudder.
just hope it looks as good as yours on the water. ( and under)
All the best,
PeterLeave a comment:
-
Keep coming. It's a nice model of this sub to build and you'll enjoy a lot her at the pond because performs really well.Leave a comment:
-
Ha to all you all you doubters who thought here we go another 7 months silence, I am back and within 24 hrs.......just.....give or take.
Anyway the vents on the starboard side are now all fitted, just the 14 on the port side to go.
Hopefully the pics are a bit better now as I have found the old digital camera and its PC lead.
PeterLeave a comment:
Leave a comment: