Scaleships Akula II

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Peter W
    replied
    Not much of my build is going to be new to many of you, quite a lot of what I do has been gleaned from the other builds here, notably the other Scaleships builds and especially Mark's very thorough account of his Oscar II.

    OK then, I have started this project by opening up the 28 or so holes on the bottom of the hull. On the etch fret you get a cover for each one that can be shown open or closed.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	Akula b 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	75593

    In the picture above you can see the brass in position, all you do is drill, cut file the depressed mark in the hull a little bit shy of the edge and this give you the platform needed to attach the etch to the hull.

    I am however building this as a working boat and have decided not to fit the brass and have filed out all of the depressed mark.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	Akula b 8.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	75594

    I have already filed out 20 of the holes so there are 8 of them remaining. I will be adding another 4, in 2 lots of 2, as there are 2 points where there is quite a stretch between holes. 1 thing I have learned about sailing my Sheerline Trafalgar is that, within reason, you can't have too many holes in your lower hull to let in water.

    Peter
    Last edited by Peter W; 03-25-2015, 08:50 AM. Reason: I am an idiot

    Leave a comment:


  • Peter W
    started a topic Scaleships Akula II

    Scaleships Akula II

    Hello all, so as to keep a close eye on my behaviour Mark has asked me to start this thread.

    As some of you may know I am also scratchbuilding a 1:144 HMS Vengeance at the moment, in fact I hadn't any plans (or money) to buy the Scaleships Akula until my Grandmother sadly died in September last year and left me a little money. My wife at the time said was there anything special I wanted to get and hey presto, Russian sub. So the Vengeance is on hold for a little while.

    Most of you are probably familiar with the kit but for those of you who are not, some info;

    Scale is 1/96 the model measures 45.8" (1163mm) long and 5.5" (141mm) beam

    you get a 7 blade prop and propshaft all the planes and rudders SOKS sensor parts, scopes/masts etc a full brass etched fret, plans, decals/transfers and 2 brass nameplates.

    I am not the fastest builder in the world as I have 3 young children but as and when I get stuff done I will post it.

    The hull
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Akula b 91.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	102136

    The planes and rudders
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Akula b 4.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	102137

    The beautiful prop
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Akula b 3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	102138

    The etched fret
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Akula b 5.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	102140

    The biggest and in my opinion the best of the masts. ( the detail on this thing is stunning compared to its size)
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Akula b 6.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	102139


    More to come,

    Peter
    Last edited by Peter W; 09-28-2013, 03:06 PM.
Working...