Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HardRock
    Vice Admiral
    • Mar 2013

Stay strong Mate. We all have to cope with the hand that we are dealt and having seen a small part of your personality revealed through these pages, I know that you will be OK. Onward!

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

Initially I thought Tom to be yet another bleeding-heart, do-gooder, bible-thump'n, straight-shooting, pain-in-the ass ...

... and he is!

However, over time, I found him also to be a trustworthy, straightforward resolver of problems -- both of the mechanical and personal kind. I've used him often as a sounding board and confidant. I value his counsel immensely. Even so, it took a lot to draw out of him his health issues. In this reguard, Tom is the strong-silent-type; you'll never hear him playing the 'Oh, poor me' card.

I like Tom. I like his work, and I particularly like his overall conduct. A good guy.

(Hey!, what's this! It's stuck!!! I got my nose so far up his ass I can't get it out!!!!!........ HELP!)

David
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Peter W
        Captain
        • May 2011

Stay strong Tom.

Peter

Comment

• MFR1964
          Detail Nut of the First Order
          • Sep 2010

Tom,

Glad to hear you're on the road of recovery, must have been hard times, thumbs up buddy!!!!

Manfred.

David, just blow, Pussy!!!!!
          I went underground

Comment

• HardRock
            Vice Admiral
            • Mar 2013

Geeezzzeee Manfred. You and Dave should get a room!

Comment

• Aug 2008

Talk about disturbing imagery!

M
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
                Admiral
                • Jul 2011

HAHAHA
                Thank you all, I appreciate the sentiment, although the imagery will take time to get out of my mind.

If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by trout
                  HAHAHA
                  Thank you all, I appreciate the sentiment, although the imagery will take time to get out of my mind.

Drano! Works for me.

M
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
                    Admiral
                    • Jul 2011

So, this past weekend there was a fun run in CA at the Yorba Regional Park. There were rumors of rain, but not a drop fell instead it was mostly sunny with a cloud cover rarely occurring until the afternoon.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	Gato_FunRun03_2017.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	248.8 KB
ID:	120887

The Gato ran so well. It was a wonderful run with no issues. The only issue was not getting many photos because I was running subs. I also brought the Neptune SB-1, which also ran well. Sam ran that sub as he was learning some techniques for filming from the Neptune. His first lesson is it is hard to get good shots.
                    Post mission, not a drop of water in the dry spaces. I knocked off the periscope top. this is the 5th time it is happened. I need to make a new one out of brass and make it attach differently.
                    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• trout
                      Admiral
                      • Jul 2011

And another photo of the Gato from a couple of weekends ago. It has been 6 1/2 years ago that I put this together. Still runs well and is always an
                      eye catcher.

Name:	IMG_3427.jpeg
Views:	314
Size:	241.0 KB
ID:	128071

It was a drizzly day, but she ran great. I just keep knocking bits and pieces off. You will notice that the periscope is missing the top, sigh, 5 millionth time replacing it. When I got home, I broke the Deck gun support..... Not a big deal. Still my favorite submarine.

Comment

• trout
                        Admiral
                        • Jul 2011

This is probably the last outing of 2020.
                        Took the Gato out to the Colorado river (and a couple of other subs). There is a lagoon at the Big Bend recreational park near Laughlin.
                        The Gato gave me fits as I was testing her prior to letting her loose. It took some adjusting of the vent, but it finally would let the air out and blow the cylinder.
                        Once running, life is great.

Name:	Gato_Split_01a.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	145270Click image for larger version

Name:	Gato_on_Surface.jpeg
Views:	234
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	145271

Comment

• Bob Gato
                          Captain
                          • Feb 2019

Now, as you might know Tom, on RCG I started and hosted a model boat photo contest-over the course of several weeks and then I moderated a vote for winners-1st 2nd and 3rd.- It was a lockdown diversion. ...Those fleet boat photos would have been real crowd pleasers!!-BG

Last edited by Bob Gato; 11-22-2020, 03:59 PM.

Comment

• trout
                            Admiral
                            • Jul 2011

Thank you. I did not know of the contest. I am glad you like the photos.
                            It was a perfect temperature and quiet day. So relaxing.

Comment

• Bob Gato
                              Captain
                              • Feb 2019

We only had a couple of subs entered -there was a total of 176 entries and it ran from July to September...save those for next year!

Comment

• QuarterMaster
                                Rear Admiral
                                • Sep 2015

Originally posted by trout
                                This is probably the last outing of 2020.
                                Took the Gato out to the Colorado river (and a couple of other subs). There is a lagoon at the Big Bend recreational park near Laughlin.
                                The Gato gave me fits as I was testing her prior to letting her loose. It took some adjusting of the vent, but it finally would let the air out and blow the cylinder.
                                Once running, life is great.

Name:	Gato_Split_01a.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	145270
                                That photo is VERY "Destination Tokyo" Tom.

I WILL run there with you one day.

Ed

PS: Bob is right, wish that was in the Contest.
                                v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
                                NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
                                USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

Working...