Revell Gato 1/72 - Newbie no more Part duex

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• beeryboats
    replied
    Tom, those are great photos. I always wondered why I didn't see any exhaust outlets on the hull. I'm still too busy trying to get mine balasted to worry 'bout detail work. Maybe I'll get more done this weekend after I pull the sailboat out of the rapidly evaporating lake:(

Jay

Leave a comment:

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
    replied
    Don't fret, Alec. Tom has taken us all back to school on this matter. Including me. Thanks .... Tom!

David

Leave a comment:

• trout
    replied
    Alec,
    Never to late to touch up, if you feel the need, but I think your Gato is fine. Just because I did not find a photo like yours, does not mean it did not exist. I understand about being ones own worst critic, I am right up there with you on that one. Ha!
    Peace,
    Tom

Leave a comment:

• alad61
    replied
    Thanks Tom I'll be modest & agree but on seeing the pictures you found I reckon I over did it on the bow limber holes and could have used more back where the exhaust mufflers are located. Also I am my worst critic... LOL

Leave a comment:

• trout
    replied
    Why? Your Gato looks great!

Leave a comment:

• alad61
    replied
    Damn Now I wish I had taken more web time on research before I painted and weathered up mine... Scuba Diving

Leave a comment:

• trout
    replied
    That is a great suggestion! Indeed diesel pours out sulfur dioxide.
    You're point on exhaust would definitely contribute or could be the source. I do not know.
    The more I dig, I am finding more of this rust on the aft. Also just different states that our subs were in. Here are a few more.
    I think my conclusion is, I was wrong to judge some peoples models by how much rust they put on, maybe arrogant in my thinking that U.S. subs always looked good and maybe perpetuated the thought that our subs were always in great condition. Now that being said, I am not saying some rust is bad condition, after all salt and steel have a nasty relationship.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Gato_Color_14.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	68331

Name:	Gato_Color_18.jpg
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	68332

Name:	Gato_Color_20.jpg
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	68334
    Now back to painting and trying to get the hull the way I want.......
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• vital.spark
    replied
    Actually you will find that the exhaust gass contains a large amount of sulpher and when mixed with water creates sulpher dioxide or sulfuric acid which will cause rust!

Leave a comment:

• trout
    replied
    Doing more research, I ran into this Pic, look at the sub on the right (a Sargo class - I think).

Name:	Reason for Rust.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	68328
    Those mufflers are right by the areas that have shown rust on the Gato/Balao. If the Gato/Balao had them in the same area (which I think they do) heat from those massive mufflers cooked the paint and promoted rust.

Name:	Gato_Color_13.jpg
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	68329

Leave a comment:

• trout
    replied
    Ha! Thank you Manfred, that will make this more palatable.

Leave a comment:

• MFR1964
    replied
    Use salt and pepper and try to nibble off small pieces.

Manfred.

Leave a comment:

• trout
    replied
    Gaulllllleeee, this thing is purdy. Don't taste so good. How you use this thing?

Name:	Color Wheel.jpg
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	68315

Leave a comment:

• trout
    replied
    LOL, I know, my problem.....I will get a color wheel, I used to have one several decades ago, but now is as good a time as any.

Leave a comment:

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
    replied
    Not my problem. Ha!

David

Leave a comment:

• trout
    replied
    Will that be on your MasterCard or Visa?

Leave a comment:

Working...