• He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Damn! You're good, Kerry!
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• beeryboats
      Lieutenant Commander
      • Jun 2011

Ah, one of the few sub movies I've missed. I am partial to diesels anyway. After all I work for a diesel shop.....
      Jay

Comment

• Aug 2008

So, you have no low-freqency hearing. Welcome to the party, pal!

Ice station Zebra is a very well mounted, directed, and told story -- pure cold-war evilness for nearly 3-hours!

Exterior shots are of a GUPPY-3, interior is pretty good Hollywood submarine (hello, CONALOG), and the miniatures make it out as a SKATE class. Excellent effects and the music is fantastic. Get a copy of this on DVD.

David
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• ADDINGTON
          Lieutenant
          • Sep 2008

Ice Station Zebra was Howard Hughes favorite movie when he still favored hygiene.
          It is one of my favorites in the workshop DVD jukebox. Just listening to the audio is great.
          Spectacular photography with cameras lashed to the Guppy. Production quality surpassing Red October in addition to a bigger cast with better lines.
          After pulling out of a sabotage-induced dive beyond crush depth, a young crewman says
          "Thank God."
          To which captain Rock Hudson replies:
          "Yes son, and I'll thank the Electric Boat Division-that way we're covered either way."

Comment

• Aug 2008

" ... just GET ME THERE!"

"It seems almost ... benevolent".

"Put it in the Red!"

"That's all right, Son. I have".
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• beeryboats
              Lieutenant Commander
              • Jun 2011

A mini update here. The fine grit Clover valve laping compound works wonders for line boring the prop shafts. The slow speed drill seems to work better but takes longer than the moto tool. The moto tool heats up the plastic too fast. The shafts will fall out if held upright now. Just perfect! One question for the group is the indexing of the forward dive planes. They deploy perfectly level, but the one on the left does not retract all the way flush to the hull. The gears already favor that side, and the push rod does not bottom out against the side of the drive shaft. Is that normal? I could change the gear mesh one tooth, but then it wouldn't be level with the other side when deployed. Any ideas?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Clover! I remember the name, we used that goo to lap the poppet-valve inboard stops on the TRUTTA's tubes. Man, what a name will bring to mind after all those years -- I can even smell the stuff in my head as I think about it. Thanks. (Whowa! ... is that **** and diesel I smell too?!)

As to your drooping plane: I bet it will tighten up when retracted if you adjust the length of the bow plane operating shaft (the two-pieces resin part in the GATO fittings kit.

David,
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• beeryboats
                  Lieutenant Commander
                  • Jun 2011

Not much adjustment to do. If you let gravity take over the right side hangs out equal to the left. Looks good to me! I think I took a bath in diesel today. You know it's bad when I notice the smell. I may have a future bubble head at work. I showed him some photos of my progress and he wants to be at the launching next spring.

Comment

• Aug 2008

... the infection spreads!
                    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• beeryboats
                      Lieutenant Commander
                      • Jun 2011

I've made the "tricky" cuts fore and aft prior to deck glue down. I need to make a hold down fixture and Dremel tool fixture for cutting the top off the sub next. Yikes! I don't even like to say that! But I have not had much luck finding a serated cut off wheel. I've been using the abrading type wheel so far and don't like the mess and melting. I found at Lowes a Dremel EZ lock system kit with the same old wheels but bought a gold colored wood cutting wheel that looks very similar to what David uses in the DVD. Maybe not as aggressive, but it sure looks better than dealing with that tiny screw on the old style mandrel. And yes David it's an infection like Malaria, it may lay dormant for years then it becomes very infectious and passed on to others....

David, I assume you place the hull in the fixture so the fore and aft verticle cut ends are level and cut between them fore and aft.

Comment

• trout
                        Admiral
                        • Jul 2011

I found mine at www.gyrostools.com - although tonight I tried to go to the site and it failed. Maybe search on gyros tools. It was last week that I ordered from them, so maybe in the morning it will be up? Anyway they have the circular saw that you are looking for that will work with the Dremel or other rotary tool.
                        Peace,
                        tom
                        If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Thanks for helping out Beeryboats with the tool source, Trout.

Yeah, you want that hull securely mounted to the work-table before you track that cutting tool around it -- don't skimp on the securing task here or the blade will jump on you terring up your boat and ripping the very fabric of the space-time continum, killing us all!

David
                          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• beeryboats
                            Lieutenant Commander
                            • Jun 2011

Oh ****, I don't want to do that. It could ruin a great weekend of beer drinking and hanging out with biker friends. I looked at Lowes tonight for a router type holder for the Dremel. No dice. I do like the idea of the plastic coated shelf for a base. I was thinking of a way to hold the sub securely from just one side to leave the other open to cut. But I'm afraid too much pressure will bind the blade. Now I'm thinking of two hold downs, two fore and two aft. Cut past one, then secure it, then release the second and keep cutting. More work but less chance of the sub moving on you.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by beeryboats
                              Oh ****, I don't want to do that. It could ruin a great weekend of beer drinking and hanging out with biker friends. I looked at Lowes tonight for a router type holder for the Dremel. No dice. I do like the idea of the plastic coated shelf for a base. I was thinking of a way to hold the sub securely from just one side to leave the other open to cut. But I'm afraid too much pressure will bind the blade. Now I'm thinking of two hold downs, two fore and two aft. Cut past one, then secure it, then release the second and keep cutting. More work but less chance of the sub moving on you.
                              Now you're talking. And no big deal. After you're done you have only four points that have to be finished off with a razor saw -- goes very quickly.

OK ... talking parts done. Get to it.

David,
                              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• beeryboats
                                Lieutenant Commander
                                • Jun 2011

More great strides made in modeling. After mowing the %@@# yard! A private airstrip is a blessing and a curse at times. I made the cutting tool jig for the Dremel tool and made a sub stand out of PVC tube and fittings. My cutting board is a bit narrow so I'm thinking of making it a one sided cutting board. I will have to turn the sub around to cut the other side. That will give me more surface area for the cutting jig to move around and stay flat to the board.

Comment

Working...