• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Thorbrandr
    Lieutenant Commander
    • Mar 2022

Type UB1 WTC selection

All,

what WTC would you recommend for one of the 1/30 scale UB1 builds?

Thanks
  • neitosub
    Lieutenant Commander
    • Nov 2021

I would imagine something like a 2.5in WTC. Either dual motor or single motor going to a twin output gearbox.

Nate

Comment

• DrSchmidt
      Captain
      • Apr 2014

UB 1 is single prop?

Comment

• RCSubGuy
        Welcome to my underwater realm!
        • Aug 2009

Oto's site shows the side profile of the model with a stubby 90mm (3.5") cylinder in there. OAL at that diameter is only 15", so no room for a ballast system.

I'd go with a 300 Series SubDriver, single shaft. Those boats didn't have a tremendous amount of freeboard. I'm guessing at something like a 7 or 8 inch tank for adequate buoyancy.

I've never built one, so the hull profile could limit the cylinder length. It may not be a bad idea to hold off on a cylinder order until you have the boat in hand (printed and assembled) in order to know exactly what you have to work with.

Comment

• Albacore 569
          Commander
          • Sep 2020

The model of a UB-1 in 1/30 scale is 36.8 inches long and 4 inch beam.

Comment

• Thorbrandr
            Lieutenant Commander
            • Mar 2022

Need to see how this thing prints up. The hull form on UB1’s cuts up from the midsection. Longer cylinders are possible higher in the hul, but the prop shaft offset will be an issue.

The ballast tank should not need to be too big. I have a 7” x 4.25” dia on my R-Class, which is much larger.

Comment

• Subculture
              Admiral
              • Feb 2009

You can get some idea of ballast volume from a 1/32 kit supplied by Norbert Bruggen, which is about 420ml via trimmed down Engel piston tank, with the caveat that the boat is a dryhull design, so probably a bit more freeboard than a wet-hulled boat with a separate module, although that might be mopped up by the usually higher material thickness of a 3d print versus a composite hull, plus the slightly larger scale of the printed UB1.

I think Bob's answer suggests a commercial option for a cylinder with ballast system from ND is unlikely, so unless Oto has a suggestion you'll have to build or adapt a cylinder of your own. But a ballast system isn't out of the question if you package the equipment carefully.

Comment

Working...