X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • B800Kaluga
    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
    • May 2023

1/72 Scorpene Build

Hello Everyone! My name is Eric and I am currently in the process of constructing a 1/72 Scorpene. This will be my second submarine build, the first being a Type 212A kit from Maximus-Modellbau, for which I will make a separate topic. The hull is 3d printed using an Elgoo Saturn2 and SirayaTech ABS-Like resin. So far I've got the hull glued together , my WTC bulkheads installed as well as the temporary linkages and driveshaft bushings installed. My current linkages are made from drilled out servo arms with wheel collars which will soon to be replaced with brass control arms. I am going to use a R&R 70mm WTC and a 2.4GHz Radio-link radio. I finished up the WTC electronics installation last night, but during testing one of the Mtroniks 10A ESC blew up or shorted out on me (Separate topic) which caused a significant amount of wiring damage, and now I have to wait on its replacement. While I'm waiting on that I'll continue to fill and sand the hull as well as fabricate new stern and fair-water plane linkages.

​​​
  • DrSchmidt
    Captain
    • Apr 2014

I like the Scopene Class....sleek boats. Did you design the CAD files for the print yourself? Seems like even the waviness of the sail planking is there. Or is it faceting due to too coarse resolution ;-) .

Comment

• RCSubGuy
      Welcome to my underwater realm!
      • Aug 2009

Comment

• B800Kaluga
        Lieutenant, Junior Grade
        • May 2023

Originally posted by DrSchmidt
        I like the Scopene Class....sleek boats. Did you design the CAD files for the print yourself? Seems like even the waviness of the sail planking is there. Or is it faceting due to too coarse resolution ;-) .
        I also really like the Scorpene-class, they're my favorite class of submarines, and its a shame that there aren't more of them in service. I had Bob draw these files up for me a while ago, and the fit and finish is excellent. The parts fit together will with a little bit of fitting here and there. The faceting is from the files and the resin 3d printing that was used, but 200 Gr sandpaper makes quick work of them.

Comment

• B800Kaluga
          Lieutenant, Junior Grade
          • May 2023

Over the past few days I've gotten bottom part of the hull filled and sanded. I also started to fill and sand the upper hull as well as clean up the WTC. This weekend I'm going to tackle making the control arms for the stern-planes as well as the fair-water planes from wheel collars and brass sheet.

Comment

• B800Kaluga
            Lieutenant, Junior Grade
            • May 2023

Sanding and filling has been completed, and I've got the first coat of primer on. For this build I'm using automotive filler primer to help fill in the faceting from the 3d printing. I still need to do a bit more sanding and filling in certain areas as well as tighten up the gap where the upper hull meets the lower hull near the stern. My new ESC has arrived and I'll be getting the WTC together.

I've received several comments on my other thread and they seem to indicate that Mtroniks isn't the best choice for ESCs. What brands/models of ESCs are reliable and have good quality?

With regards to ESC placement, I'm thinking about moving them to the front compartment of my R&R WTC. Will having the ESCs close to the 2.4GHz receiver cause any interference issues?

Comment

• neitosub
              Lieutenant Commander
              • Nov 2021

I run the HobbyWing 1060 brushed ESC in my USS Blueback, it’s a tried and tested ESC in the RC car world and it has the forward/reverse functionality suitable for RC boats and subs.

Nate

Comment

• B800Kaluga
                Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                • May 2023

Originally posted by neitosub
                I run the HobbyWing 1060 brushed ESC in my USS Blueback, it’s a tried and tested ESC in the RC car world and it has the forward/reverse functionality suitable for RC boats and subs.

Nate
                Thank you for the suggestion! Do you use the HobbyWing ESCs for ballast and propulsion, or just for propulsion?

Comment

• neitosub
                  Lieutenant Commander
                  • Nov 2021

I’m using it for propulsion, for ballast I’m simply using a forward/reverse switch. Here’s a video I made explaining my setup:

Nate

Comment

Working...