X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DrSchmidt
    Captain
    • Apr 2014

1:35 mideget submarine "Hecht" (Micro Mir) - display model

The "Molch" project was so much fun and I really enjoy the result. So I thought by myself, that a second one, also with interior, would be nice. The midget sub "Biber" would be nice but hard to realize, as the torpedos are positioned in a way, that would make the opening for a cutawya display very, very small and nothng could be seen inside. The "Seehund" would be much better in that respect, but it was a real sub with a very complex interior. That's wouldn't be a small side project bit a full blown research and build job. Not what I'm looking for right now. So it boils down to the fourth and I guess least known one, the "Hecht". Very simple Hull with a single torpedo hanging below the keel. Plenty of space to position an opening for the cutaway display and a simple but interesting enough interior. So I started as usual with a 3D cad model. Gonna be fun....here's what I got so far.

The boat was a big failure as it was slow, had a very limited range and it was almost impossible to control the boat. In the first versions i hat no dive planes but trim weights that were controlled by spindle drives. Slow and very ineffective. Later on stabilizing fins at the stern and bow planes were added to almost no effect. The boat had a gyro compass and was armed either with a magnetic mine attached to the bow or a torpedo underneath the keel. In latter version, the nose held three extra batteries.

A bizarre little boats that never saw combat but were solely used for training crews e.g. for the Seehnund.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Hecht-001.jpg Views:	0 Size:	35.2 KB ID:	167785

Click image for larger version  Name:	Hecht-002.jpg Views:	0 Size:	68.4 KB ID:	167786

Click image for larger version  Name:	Hecht-003.jpg Views:	0 Size:	56.0 KB ID:	167787
    Attached Files
    Last edited by DrSchmidt; 12-17-2022, 04:43 PM.
  • rwtdiver
    Vice Admiral
    • Feb 2019

Andreas,

I do not believe that I ever saw your RC version of the "Hecht" boat! I can imagine it was a great looking boat. I for one am looking forward to seeing your display model of this boat!

Rob
    "Firemen can stand the heat."

Comment

• DrSchmidt
      Captain
      • Apr 2014

I never had a RC version....what I wrote about the boat, that it was almost impossible to drive, was about the original ones. Nevertheless, there arc RC versions by OWT and RCSUbs

Comment

• rwtdiver
        Vice Admiral
        • Feb 2019

Originally posted by DrSchmidt
        I never had a RC version....what I wrote about the boat, that it was almost impossible to drive, was about the original ones. Nevertheless, there arc RC versions by OWT and RCSUbs
        OK! Sorry for the misunderstanding on my part. Now that I read your entire description, I see what you were saying. None the less we are all looking forward to seeing this model progress, so make sure you keep those photos coming!

Rob
        "Firemen can stand the heat."

Comment

• DrSchmidt
          Captain
          • Apr 2014

A little more progress....the seats are in, the AEG AV 76 electric motor is sketched as is the motor-generator for the gyro compass and the aft trim weights for the dive angel control

Click image for larger version

Name:	Hecht-004.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	167816

Comment

• DrSchmidt
            Captain
            • Apr 2014

Here's a first sketch of the pulley mechanism that was used to position the trim weights left and right of the commanding officer (back seat). By shifting the control stick back and forth a geared frame set an axis in motion that scrolled the wires that were connected to the trim weights. The Kinda medieval ....

Name:	Hecht-005.jpg
Views:	363
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	167837

Comment

• DrSchmidt
              Captain
              • Apr 2014

And a more complete version with the pulley mechanism for the rudder....

Click image for larger version  Name:	Hecht-006.jpg Views:	0 Size:	55.0 KB ID:	167844

And in the boat....quite crammed in there.

Attached Files
              Last edited by DrSchmidt; 12-20-2022, 04:11 AM.

Comment

• GwenB
                Lieutenant
                • Oct 2022

Nice work! That thing would have been totally claustrophobic-making...

Comment

• tifosi12
                  Commander
                  • Jul 2020

Originally posted by GwenB
                  Nice work! That thing would have been totally claustrophobic-making...
                  Could be worse, could have been a Marder.

Comment

• DrSchmidt
                    Captain
                    • Apr 2014

I think as long as it is a death trap it doesn't matter how much space you have ;-)

Comment

• DrSchmidt
                      Captain
                      • Apr 2014

A little bit of progress....I've detailed the motor converter for the gyro compass. I got the dimensions from a blueprint and the details like service openings, cable feedthroughs and such from photos of an identical converter that can be found on the starboard electric motor of U-995, the last remaining VIIc. In front of the engineer, on the gyro compass casing was a Papenberg depth gauge. I designed mine from a sketch out of Gabler's book "Unterseebootbau". The sketch is depicting a depth gauge like it cn be found in U-99f, so I guess it's just fine for the "Hecht"....

Name:	Hecht-008.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	167878

Comment

• DrSchmidt
                        Captain
                        • Apr 2014

The compass repeater on port and the depth gauge on starboard are in. On top of the negative tanks are alkaline cartridges for the air renewal. Getting more and more crammed....

Name:	Hecht-009.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	167902

Comment

• DrSchmidt
                          Captain
                          • Apr 2014

Little update.....more alkaline cartridges and detailed racks. Started sketching the speed controller (cylindrical shape with hand wheel) on the starboard side of the front seat (engineer)...

Name:	Hecht-010.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	167912

Comment

• DrSchmidt
                            Captain
                            • Apr 2014

Further progress....the electric motor was coupled to the prop shaft via a two-stage belt gear reduction. That and the thrust bearing block are in place. Left and right to the prop shaft are a compressed air and an oxygen bottle respectively.

Name:	Hecht-011.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	168030

Name:	Hecht-012.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	168031

Comment

• DrSchmidt
                              Captain
                              • Apr 2014

The big parts are done....last bit was the cooling equipment for the gyro compass on starboard....

Name:	Hecht-013.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	168088

Comment

Working...