Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DrSchmidt
    Captain
    • Apr 2014

Again a little update: The bow trim weights and the sea mine were manipulated by hand wheels by the engineer (front seat). The hand wheels acted via bevel gears on axis that turned the chain drives of the trim weights and the sea mine. All that is in place. Some holding brackets, the periscope and the hand drive of the bow hook still need to be added. Soon...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Hecht-014.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	168115

Comment

• DrSchmidt
      Captain
      • Apr 2014

Continued to detail the CAD files to actually fit the model. The hull thickness of the kit of course is not to scale. So I hade to scale down the CAD model in two dimensions a bit to fit the kit. Now some detail work to make everything into a printable interior....

Name:	Hecht-Modell.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	172031

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
        • Aug 2008

My God! the size of the MG set and gyro-compass! Well... you gotta work with what ya got!
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• DrSchmidt
          Captain
          • Apr 2014

That thing was a complete disaster....did you notice the cylindrical things left & right of the aft seat? Movable weights that acted as pitch control....as there were no actuated dive planes. Worked like **** and later they installed dive planes. Didn't make anything better. The nose was a detachable mine. Basically you screwed it loose with a hand crank. When the mine was detached the boat hat an almost flat nose. How immensely clever....all in all the boat was not usable and the few that were built acted as school boats. I guess the idea was, that f you'd be able to steer that thing, you'd be great an´t anything better.
          Last edited by DrSchmidt; 07-09-2023, 03:21 PM.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by DrSchmidt
            That thing was a complete disaster....did you notice the cylindrical things left & right of the aft seat? Movable weights that acted as pitch control....as there were no actuated dive planes. Worked like **** and later they installed dive planes. Didn't make anything better. The nose was a detachable mine. Basically you screwed it loose with a hand crank. When the mine was detached the boat hat an almost flat nose. How immensely clever....all in all the boat was not usable and the few that were built acted as school boats. I guess the idea was, that f you'd be able to steer that thing, you'd be great an´t anything better.
            I can imagine trying to shift weights mechanically to anticipate and attenuate the boats pitching -- you'd never get on top of that curve! And what was the function of the non-driver? CO2 absorbent can swapper and moral support?

But to be fair, halting steps like this design did eventually evolve into Seehund. German's are first-class mechanics and Engineers... with the occasional mean-streak breaking out every half-century or so.
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• DrSchmidt
              Captain
              • Apr 2014

The guy in the front controlled the throttle (cylindrical canister on the right), released the mine (or fired the torpedo) and actuated the trim weights left and right of the batteries (to correct general trim when the mine was detached). I guess he also operated the ballast tanks.

I think the Hecht midget submarines and the midget submarines in general were a reaction to the successes of X-Crafts against the Tirpitz (Operation Source), which also used mines. That lead to the founding of the "Kleinkampfverbände" (small arms units) which the midget subs were a part of.

I agree, the first generation of midget submarine (Hecht, Molch, Bieber, Neger) were not really usable and came close to the Japanese suicide subs in terms of fatalities of the drivers. One has to imagine the time: late in the war, resources and time became scarce. Desperate tries. And then stupid requirements form the naval command, like e.g. the gyro compass.
              Last edited by DrSchmidt; 07-10-2023, 01:32 AM.

Comment

• DrSchmidt
                Captain
                • Apr 2014

Added some more bits in pieces. The model contained all major parts when I left it, but for actually make it printable, there is still much fine tuning to do...

Name:	Hecht-Modell.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	172069

Comment

• DrSchmidt
                  Captain
                  • Apr 2014

Wile doing the monotonous jobs on my Discovery, I converted the CAD model into a printable version and added the additional battery nose that could be used when the boat carried a torpedo instead of a mine. As the boat is going to be cut away, I had to remove some equipment of the starboard side to allow for an unobstructed view into the interior.

Name:	Hecht-016.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	172627

Then I started by printing the frames, keel and battery bulkhead for the port side as one piece that acts as inlay for the kit's hull. Tiny and really hard to handle, but in the end, the result looks quite O.K.

Name:	Hecht-017.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	172628

Name:	Hecht-018.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	172629

Comment

• DrSchmidt
                    Captain
                    • Apr 2014

After building a shelf and starting the build for a display box for the Discovery I found again some time to work on the Hecht. Started with the battery section. It contains two floors, some kind of grating construction, that hold two torpedo batteries in the middle and one on the top. The third battery sits directly downstairs on the keel. Left and right of the bottom battery are the movable trim weights. The sit on thread rods taht are actuated via chain drives by the front driver of the boat. Another chain drive on the front bulkhead was used for mine release and was actuated by the front driver as well. Left and right of the top batter are two compressed air bottles. Tight fit and especially the chain drives were quite challenging, as they are very, very small.

Name:	Hecht-019.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	173232

Name:	Hecht-020.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	173233

Name:	Hecht-021.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	173234

Name:	Hecht-022.jpg
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	173235

Name:	Hecht-023.jpg
Views:	180
ID:	173236

Name:	Hecht-024.jpg
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	173237

Name:	Hecht-025.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	173238

Here's an overview of the current status with the nose battery section that was used in the torpedo version.

Name:	Hecht-026.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	173239

Comment

• DrSchmidt
                      Captain
                      • Apr 2014

Continued with the interior of the crew compartment. The base color (flat white) was applied and weathered using gray filters and washes. Then the gyro compass and its housing were painted, weathered and glued into place as were the respective switch boxes and the motor converter. Starts to get crammed in there....

Name:	Hecht-027.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	173359

Name:	Hecht-028.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	173360

The battery nose was also airbrusched and weathered and then the batteries glued in place. The batteries are flat black. To make them look like somethimng I applied a weathering with gray filters and then I gave them some conturs using dry brushing.

Name:	Hecht-029.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	173361

Name:	Hecht-030.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	173362

Comment

• DrSchmidt
                        Captain
                        • Apr 2014

Continued with the drive train. The rpm of the electric motor was reduced by a dual belt drive that then coupled to the propeller axis. According to the drawings, the thrust bearing was simply attached to steel girder that was welded into the pressure hull. Simple enough. Left and right of the propeller axis were pressure bottles (air and oxygen). I chose to paint my depicted port one green for oxygen (no reference photos telling otherwise, so I can opt for more color). I also installed the steering column with its mechanics for the cable pulls for rudder and trim weights. Flimsy, but I got it in place without damage. On the port ballast tank a shelf with alkaline canisters found its place, and on the front side of the gyro compass cowling one can see a Papenberg depth gauge.

Name:	Hecht-031.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	173424

Name:	Hecht-032.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	173425

Name:	Hecht-033.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	173426

Comment

• DrSchmidt
                          Captain
                          • Apr 2014

Worked allot in the interior. Most of the central and port side equipment is in. I also added the wire linkages to the trim weights and the rudder. Next were the seats, gauges, valves and tubes. I like it. To get an impression of the finished boat, I also cut the view ports in the starboard hull.....I like it!

Name:	Hecht-034.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	173476

Name:	Hecht-035.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	173477

Name:	Hecht-036.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	173478

Name:	Hecht-037.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	173479

Name:	Hecht-038.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	173480

Name:	Hecht-039.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	173481

Name:	Hecht-040.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	173482

Name:	Hecht-041.jpg
Views:	105
ID:	173483

Name:	Hecht-042.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	173484

Comment

• Das Boot
                            Rear Admiral
                            • Dec 2019

Simply marvelous.
                            Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”

Comment

• DrSchmidt
                              Captain
                              • Apr 2014

Progress on my 1:35 scale midget submarine Hecht with interior. Printed and glued the starboard frames and regulating tank into the inside of the hull. Then added the trim weight, bilge pump, and gyro compass cooler. Painted all with flat white and neutral gray (Vallejo) and gave it a weathering job with filters and washes. Finally the two micro LEDs were installed, wired, and connected to the constant current source in the nos. The port side of the hull got it's finishing touches with the installation of the periscope and the starboard pulleys for the trim weights.

Name:	Hecht-045.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	174288

Name:	Hecht-046.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	174287

After all this, it was finally time to join the two hull halves.

Name:	Hecht-047.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	174289

And then, of course, the firts lighting test.....nice!

Name:	Hecht-048.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	174290

Comment

• DrSchmidt
                                Captain
                                • Apr 2014

After the glue dried, I cleaned the seams, closed gaps with putty and sanded everything smoot and into shape. Then I added the few remaining parts on the outer hull. Quick fix...Then I masked the openings with tape and the clear dome with Vallejo masking medium. Finally -> Primer on.

Name:	Hecht-049.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	174667

Name:	Hecht-050.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	174669

Name:	Hecht-051.jpg