X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GwenB
    Lieutenant
    • Oct 2022

Gwen's 1/48 scale Arkmodel Type VIIC

I recently finished most of the work on my Arkmodel Type VII C build. All that's really left now is trimming. Here are some photos of my sub. The decks are attached with magnets for easy removal. I replaced all the kit-supplied railings on the deck and the conning tower with soldered brass railings I made. I made my own attack periscope (which also serves as the air intake for the ballast system) from aluminum tubing and an aluminum rod I turned to the shape of the head of the periscope. I also made my own Kriegsmarine flag by printing it on some fine cotton fabric with my inkjet printer. I'm still debating whether I went a little too heavy on the rust or not...

Gwen

Click image for larger version  Name:	20221207_205242.jpg Views:	0 Size:	43.3 KB ID:	167594
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20221206_224202-1200.jpg Views:	0 Size:	51.9 KB ID:	167595Click image for larger version  Name:	20221207_205008.jpg Views:	0 Size:	57.4 KB ID:	167596
    Last edited by GwenB; 12-10-2022, 12:16 AM.
  • GwenB
    Lieutenant
    • Oct 2022

Here's a photo of the brass wintergarten railing before paint, as well as the flag I made. Also a photo showing the turnbuckles I built for the conning tower antenna rigging.

Gwen

Click image for larger version  Name:	20221206_194438.jpg Views:	0 Size:	57.1 KB ID:	167600Click image for larger version  Name:	20221101_014929.jpg Views:	0 Size:	60.0 KB ID:	167598
    Last edited by GwenB; 12-09-2022, 11:13 PM.

Comment

• JHapprich
      Captain
      • Oct 2017

Great model! Rust is nice, id add a scum line to do something about the "clean" look. Show us the inerts!

You were involved with SH III Wolfpack?

I did a ton of SHIV modding back then.

Regards Jörg

Comment

• tifosi12
        Commander
        • Jul 2020

Fantastic job! Love every detail about it.

Comment

• Davjacva
          Lieutenant Commander
          • Nov 2022

Fantastic work. For the rust, if it bothers you, I'd put some areas of dark and medium brown within the areas (old rust vs newer rust) and it will pop out. Having it on is just fine, it's just shows that it's either on patrol or at the end.
          With your flag, it looks great. I use very fine cotton like that's found with pillow cases. Often people use a much coarser cotton (like for uniforms, etc) and it just doesn't look scale. My principle hobby are 1/16 scale tanks, and doing stuff like canvas mantlet covers with cloth, a pillow case is always my go-to. In 1/48 its even tougher. To see if somethings going to bother me, I set it across the room and look at it for a few weeks. You gain perspective to yourself which is more important than people's opions (which are many). Then you either take out the chainsaw and go to town, or you feel okay with it. Again, really superb work.

Comment

• GwenB
            Lieutenant
            • Oct 2022

Thanks for the positive feedback guys! For my first RC sub build I am pretty pleased with my results.

I did add a pretty obvious scum line. You can see it in a couple of the photos I posted, including the side view at the very top and the third one down. Some were shot before I added it. Oh, and yes, I play SHIII and a number of other sub sims. These days I mostly play Wolfpack.

You can see my complete build log on the forums at https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=253849

Lastly, when I look at the sub from a distance I think the rust looks great. So I'll keep it as it is and maybe add a few other colors to it. =)
            Last edited by GwenB; 12-10-2022, 01:32 PM.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
              • Aug 2008

Originally posted by GwenB
              Thanks for the positive feedback guys! For my first RC sub build I am pretty pleased with my results.

I did add a pretty obvious scum line. You can see it in a couple of the photos I posted, including the side view at the very top and the third one down. Some were shot before I added it. Oh, and yes, I play SHIII and a number of other sub sims. These days I mostly play Wolfpack.

You can see my complete build log on the forums at https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=253849

Lastly, when I look at the sub from a distance I think the rust looks great. So I'll keep it as it is and maybe add a few other colors to it. =)
              Less is more!!!!!
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• rwtdiver
                Vice Admiral
                • Feb 2019

Originally posted by GwenB

Hi Gwen,

I went to your subsim forum and your Arkmodel Type Vllc build also to see the complete build. I was impressed by how well all the primary functions worked. No binding, full capacity throws on the rudders and the dive planes. I built the same boat (it's a model now) I for some reason just had a lot of problems getting it all to work properly, but it turned out OK as a model.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ARKMODEL FINISHED 3.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	167709

I have not made any attempt at doing weathering on this boat as of yet. I think your boat looks great, and if you are happy with it, that is all that counts!! Personally, I prefer all sub builds to like pre sea trails, out of the hangar! I have certainly had my share of criticisms for that, but that is what I like!

Job well done, and you should be very proud of the build! :-))

Rob
                "Firemen can stand the heat"

Comment

• GwenB
                  Lieutenant
                  • Oct 2022

Originally posted by rwtdiver

Hi Gwen,

I went to your subsim forum and your Arkmodel Type Vllc build also to see the complete build. I was impressed by how well all the primary functions worked. No binding, full capacity throws on the rudders and the dive planes. I built the same boat (it's a model now) I for some reason just had a lot of problems getting it all to work properly, but it turned out OK as a model.

Name:	ARKMODEL FINISHED 3.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	167709

I have not made any attempt at doing weathering on this boat as of yet. I think your boat looks great, and if you are happy with it, that is all that counts!! Personally, I prefer all sub builds to like pre sea trails, out of the hangar! I have certainly had my share of criticisms for that, but that is what I like!

Job well done, and you should be very proud of the build! :-))

Rob
                  "Firemen can stand the heat"
                  Thanks Rob! It took a lot of work for me to get the full range of travel on the rear control surfaces as well as getting the drive shafts to turn smoothly. I had to grind a channel inside the hull on both sides to allow space for the U-joints in the drive train. Your boat looks great. Like you said, you are the one who needs to be happy with it. =)

Gwen

Comment

• GwenB
                    Lieutenant
                    • Oct 2022

A few more photos of my finished U-96

Name:	20221217_210633.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	167793Click image for larger version

Name:	20221217_210642.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	167794Click image for larger version

Name:	20221217_210605.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	167795
                    Gwen

Comment

• rwtdiver
                      Vice Admiral
                      • Feb 2019

Gwen,

It looks like you may have lightened up the rust and added some light touches of rust on the rivets! Nice looking boat!!:-))

Rob
                      "Firemen can stand the heat."

Comment

• GwenB
                        Lieutenant
                        • Oct 2022

Originally posted by rwtdiver
                        Gwen,

It looks like you may have lightened up the rust and added some light touches of rust on the rivets! Nice looking boat!!:-))

Rob
                        "Firemen can stand the heat."
                        Thanks again Rob, I'm really happy with the way it looks. I just did the initial addition of ballast weight and foam. Next I'm going to stack bricks to form a 1'x1'x6' tank space and line it with plastic sheet so I can fill it with water and trim the boat.

Comment

• GwenB
                          Lieutenant
                          • Oct 2022

Here's a short video of a systems check on the boat:

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                            • Aug 2008

Swap the wheels. Right hand pitch on the Starboard, left hand pitch on the port.
                            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
                              Admiral
                              • Jul 2011

Well done Gwen!
                              If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

Working...