• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Norantio
    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
    • Oct 2022

1/32 Flying Sub, a different take.

Hello everyone!

Long time lurker. I'm many moons into a Flying Sub conversion and wanted to finally share a little progress. I've been interested in RC subs for as long as I can remember. Made my first one when I was around 12 out of a papertowel tube covered in tape with a 9V battery, a motor "borrowed" from my dad's casette player, and a lego propeller, it worked, and I was hooked. A few years later I discovered Bob Martin and the Nautilus Drydocks, and found out I wasn't the only person into this obscure hobby! My passion renewed, I wanted to make something different, and I wanted it to be as complicated as possible as a challenge to myself.

I started this about 2 years ago completely from scratch, no 3D printing knowledge, no 3D modeling knowledge. I've still got a long way to go, but I'm very happy with the project and thought I'd finally show it.

There's a lot more progress behind the scenes on the electronic(s), ballast, battery, and some surprise systems. I can't promise I'll update much, as I promised myself not to push myself too hard on this and burn out, but I'll share more if anyone is interested.

Note: Most of the mechanical bits are only for show and for fun, and honestly, to make this as ridiculous as possible, and I'm in no hurry. They also won't be strong enough to hold up the weight of the finished model. That's for the next version.

Here are more, higher quality pictures:
    Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users like Norantio.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Norantio; 12-03-2022, 06:36 PM.
  • Norantio
    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
    • Oct 2022

The captions I wrote were too long, so here they are in order:
    1. Here is a top view of bottom shell of the model, we can see the right side landing bay door structure, with a flap to open and close 1/3 of the landing bay doors. The middle structure is my pride and joy. The 6DoF maneuvering system. That white printed part is a circular pump will spin clockwise on the bottom, another will spin counter clockwise on top (to counter act the centrifugal forces), and will push water up into a centrol donut shaped area with different output channels that will be opened and closed with smaller servos.
    2. Same as before, but with the door as closed as possible. The opening is fine considering this area will be open to the water anyway.
    3. There is another shell with practice cuts and the remaining 2/3 of the door flap thingies. Little preview of the legs as well.​
    4. Inside tests from a while ago. That is a 16 channel servo controller IC2 board that will be used to control most of the servos needed. The electronics for this will be incredible, and I'm excited to share that when they're further along.
    5. Even tho I'm managed to designed everything small enough to fit inside without needing the extra height, I've got a few more tricks up my sleeve.
    6. A previous version, the water pump has significantly changed since then. With the added height, and buoyantcy of PP filament, I'll be able to add many more 18650 cells, and a lot more nonsense.
    7. All of the prints so far are prototypes and are under constant change. Material is PLA. When I go to print the final version, it will be done in PP (Polypropylene) which is both buoyant and hydrophobic. Stay tunned!​
    Last edited by Norantio; 12-04-2022, 10:10 AM.

Comment

• RCSubGuy
      Welcome to my underwater realm!
      • Aug 2009

Following this with interest!

Comment

• Norantio
        Lieutenant, Junior Grade
        • Oct 2022

Thanks Bob!

I've uploaded some more videos and pictures here:

Videos of door and bottom pump:
        Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users like Norantio.

A new door opening mechanism I've spent too much time on:

I'm working on getting all of the door and leg deployed done with one servo... for 3 doors. I'm close.

Comment

• Norantio
          Lieutenant, Junior Grade
          • Oct 2022

A little work on the landing leg structure from yesterday:

Comment

• Norantio
            Lieutenant, Junior Grade
            • Oct 2022

A little progress report before a break to move (back) to Houston.

Found 80-100rpm waterproof motors on Aliexpress for $2.76, and servo control boards for $0.30 each so going with a lot of those for all of the non-propulsion mechanics instead of heavy complicated gearing. Having a little difficulty designing the back landing door/leg, but am close. Additionally, I'm shooting for a ridiculous of batteries: 15, 18650 cells.

So far the side legs/doors, bottom iris door, and bottom water impeller are working as intended. Next up is back door, front door, map out the top half of the FS model shell, and install the main drive motors. There is a lot of programming happening as well to get all of the servos to move in the correct sequence, but that's for another time.

That's all for now! Thanks for viewing.
            Attached Files

Comment

• Norantio
              Lieutenant, Junior Grade
              • Oct 2022

Those thumbnails won't upload correctly so here is an imgur link:

Comment

• Norantio
                Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                • Oct 2022

A little clarification on how it'll move water around

Comment

• redboat219
                  Admiral
                  • Dec 2008

No being a skeptic but do you have proof of concept or technology demonstrator for this?
                  Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• redboat219
                    Admiral
                    • Dec 2008

Loose the iris and make/use something like this

Last edited by redboat219; 01-27-2023, 09:47 PM.

Comment

• redboat219
                      Admiral
                      • Dec 2008

Hydromea’s ultra-slim, rim-driven DISKDRIVE™ thruster is the future of propulsion for compact vehicles, both underwater and on the surface.

Comment

• Norantio
                        Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                        • Oct 2022

The iris door won't be used to move water around, it'll just open and close for a fun addition. There are two large pumps that spin counter-clockwise to push water from the top and bottom into a central chamber that isn't visible. From there, water will go out tubes that I will be able to open and close with servos, thus giving me maneuvering capabilities. There will be a little room left over, and I'm thinking about adding some more motors to give me quicker forward movement, but I'll only add those when the rest of the stuff is modeled out.

I do like those thrusters, and took a little inspiration from them. They're so expenseive tho, can't believe it.

Comment

• Norantio
                          Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                          • Oct 2022

Here's a pic of the bottom half of the central chamber
                          Attached Files

Comment

• Norantio
                            Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                            • Oct 2022

Have the beginnings of the water outlet tubes, this part will take some time:

Attached Files

Comment

• Norantio
                              Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                              • Oct 2022

Guess I wasn't taking a break after all.

Comment

Working...