X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SubDude
    Captain
    • Dec 2019

1/48 3D printed I-400

I have been printing a large I-400 for one of my sons. He has been fascinated with the I-400 since seeing a YouTube video about them. At 1/48 scale this one chimes in as the second largest sub I have printed at 100" long with about a 12" beam. Hull is printed in ABS on my trusty Ender 5+ while the sail is resin printed. I will post up some additional stats later. I am leaving the bulk of the cleanup, sanding, filling, detailing, priming, painting and outfitting up to him so he can learn the process.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20221124_195819.jpg Views:	0 Size:	57.7 KB ID:	167073
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20221124_195828.jpg Views:	0 Size:	66.5 KB ID:	167074
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20221124_200056.jpg Views:	0 Size:	55.6 KB ID:	167075
    Last edited by SubDude; 11-25-2022, 01:33 AM.
  • trout
    Admiral
    • Jul 2011

Your son(s) are outstanding. Enjoyed our discussions and his passion to learn. Look forward to seeing him make it through the hands on and move beyond the theoretical stuff! He will be unstoppable.
    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Sinksalot
      Commander
      • Mar 2020

Looking good Steve. How many spools did you use printing that? Your printer is a dam work horse. Best money you spent for that printer.

Comment

• SubDude
        Captain
        • Dec 2019

Originally posted by trout
        Your son(s) are outstanding. Enjoyed our discussions and his passion to learn. Look forward to seeing him make it through the hands on and move beyond the theoretical stuff! He will be unstoppable.
        Thank you Tom for sharing your sub knowledge with them.

Comment

• SubDude
          Captain
          • Dec 2019

Originally posted by Sinksalot
          Looking good Steve. How many spools did you use printing that? Your printer is a dam work horse. Best money you spent for that printer.
          I actually lost track of the number of spools. Somewhere around 12? I still have to total the hours and of course I did not print the sail parts.

Comment

• tifosi12
            Commander
            • Jul 2020

Where did you get the STL files from?

I have been looking for the files of this ship for a long time. Only found some basic ones online which didn't quite cut it. BTW: Not looking for a freebie, happy to buy them if they are for sale somewhere.

Comment

• rwtdiver
              Vice Admiral
              • Feb 2019

Originally posted by tifosi12
              Where did you get the STL files from?

I have been looking for the files of this ship for a long time. Only found some basic ones online which didn't quite cut it. BTW: Not looking for a freebie, happy to buy them if they are for sale somewhere.
              Hi tifosi12,

Here is the files I used from Thingiverse!

I posted a photo of mine on this blog 6 posts above. And here is my build blog! Japanese Sen Toku I-401 Submarine Build - The Sub-drivers Forum (rc-sub.com)

Rob

Comment

• rwtdiver
                Vice Admiral
                • Feb 2019

Steve,

I hope it was OK that I jumped your blog, and gave "tifosi12" information as to where I got my files for the i-400?

Rob

Comment

• SubDude
                  Captain
                  • Dec 2019

Not a problem Rob. My files did come from a different source. I will let him chime in on the subject if he wishes as I have no say concerning the files.

Comment

• tifosi12
                    Commander
                    • Jul 2020

Originally posted by rwtdiver

Hi tifosi12,

Here is the files I used from Thingiverse!

I posted a photo of mine on this blog 6 posts above. And here is my build blog! Japanese Sen Toku I-401 Submarine Build - The Sub-drivers Forum (rc-sub.com)

Rob
                    Thanks mate. Yes, I knew about those files. Now reading the author's comment I notice he redid his original files. So I'll have to download this version.

Thanks also for the build thread. Will have to read that in detail.

Comment

• tifosi12
                      Commander
                      • Jul 2020

Originally posted by SubDude
                      Not a problem Rob. My files did come from a different source. I will let him chime in on the subject if he wishes as I have no say concerning the files.
                      Yes, would still love your source if you care to share.

Comment

• tifosi12
                        Commander
                        • Jul 2020

Originally posted by SubDude
                        I have been printing a large I-400 for one of my sons. He has been fascinated with the I-400 since seeing a YouTube video about them. At 1/48 scale this one chimes in as the second largest sub I have printed at 100" long with about a 12" beam. Hull is printed in ABS on my trusty Ender 5+ while the sail is resin printed. I will post up some additional stats later. I am leaving the bulk of the cleanup, sanding, filling, detailing, priming, painting and outfitting up to him so he can learn the process.
                        What diameter is your SD?

...somehow that sounds dirty. :) sorry
                        Last edited by tifosi12; 11-30-2022, 07:26 PM.

Comment

• SubDude
                          Captain
                          • Dec 2019

Originally posted by tifosi12

What diameter is your SD?

...somehow that sounds dirty. :) sorry
                          In these bigger boats I use a modular system so no SD.

Comment

• Das Boot
                            Rear Admiral
                            • Dec 2019

Another monster.
                            Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”

Comment

• tifosi12
                              Commander
                              • Jul 2020

I'm still wondering what scale does this ship have to be to work with a 3" SD?

Comment

Working...