Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spankey
    Lieutenant Commander
    • Aug 2010

So I did what you suggested, and I've mounted bulkheads (tacked them down) for the WTC. See photos. The center of the ballast tank will be 1" fwd of the geometric center of the boat.
    Next thing to work on is getting that CG slightly forward of the center as well, then trimming.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	76364
    Attached Files

Comment

• spankey
      Lieutenant Commander
      • Aug 2010

Next Update,

Just soldered up a prop linkage from the shaft on the hull to our Most Esteemed Leader's WTC. As you can see, the WTC is presently positioned aft so that the Center of the Ballast tank is ~1 inch forward of the center of the boat (lengthwise). Thanks Admiral Greenman.

With no battery installed, the CG is somewhere near the aft 1/3 of the boat.

I'm planning on a 6 Volt, 14 AH Werker Gel cell, unless someone wishes to correct the abhorrent error of my ways. This cell weighs ~6.1 lbs, which should drive the dry CG into the forward 1/3 of the boat.

Is there a rule of thumb for where the CG should be in relation to the Center of the Ballast tank, which is positioned as stated above?

Name:	photo (2).jpg
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	82371Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	82372

Comment

• greenman407
        Admiral
        • Feb 2009

Spankey, 6.1 lbs seems like a lot. Looking at what youve got there, youve got plenty of room for a battery WTC up front. Inside you could put a LIPO or a stick NIMH. Im sure that you could make the 6 pounder work.............
        As far as center of gravity in relation to center of ballast tank Id start with 1" forward of that and just see how she handles. On my Albacore I had to play around with that, but thats only because I wanted to go fast.
        IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• greenman407
          Admiral
          • Feb 2009

Im thinking that if you put that much weight in there that you would have to put a heck of a lot of foam in there as well to help your ballast tank float that much weight.
          IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
            • Aug 2008

4Ahr's is plenty, and like Mark said, too much battery!

M
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Slats
              Vice Admiral
              • Aug 2008

I concur with advice above - big problem I have learnt to avoid from the masters in this game is keeping weight down.

Too much weight =Too much mass momentum

Mass momentum is basically the ability of an object to continue under its own momentum on a straight track. The higher the weight - the greater the mass momentum that needs to be overcome to turn the boat. In short - heavier boats don't turn as well as lighter ones.

My first subs used heavy wet area SLAs - yes your sub will work this way, but a better method in my experience is adopting a dry space for a Nimh or Lipo. You could see if you could buy a simple cylinder section from Caswell's to achieve this to work with that old Subdriver you have there.

A conversion I did is found here: http://forum.sub-driver.com/showthre...=Collins+class

Apart from the higher weight issue that a SLA means, you are also fighting with the COG.
              COG should be achieved dead centre under the ballast tank. Here the SLA weight forward of that location makes it a hard task to achieve.

Finally I have had numerous sealing methods of external wires over the years. All work fine but longevity of these connections becomes a problematic issue.

For all these reasons I successfully convinced David to manufacture the 3.5" SD with a conduit through the ballast tank connecting a forward and aft dry space. This keeps battery weight down through use of LIpo / Nimh battery, connections are always dry. As for battery capacity I only use a 3AH nimh 7.2v I find the run time is excellent (about an hour).

Hope that helps

John
              John Slater

Sydney Australia

You would not steal a wallet so don't steal people's livelihood.
              Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                • Aug 2008

And I'm most grateful John finally convinced me to provide a forward dry space in the re-designed 3.5" SD's, in which are now housed the battery -- a much more user friendly and rational design than my initial one which put the battery in the wet.

John Slater is my most reliable and informative Beta-tester! Much of the current crop of SD's feature elements suggested or re-designed by guys like John. The products I produce are very much a collaborative activity between me, Mike, and our experienced customers. The soon to be released line of 3" SD's is an example of such cross pollination.

M
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• spankey
                  Lieutenant Commander
                  • Aug 2010

So, I went back to the drawing board with the battery...I dug up an old 12V, 2.5 AH battery I had lying around. It weights 2.5#, so more reasonable than 6 #.

I would prefer to get everything dry in a forward compartment, BUT I've been doing this boat for over 2 years now, and Its the only obstacle in my way of getting another boat.... the 1:72 Skipjack, so I'm going to wait on fixing up a dry compartment until I get that Skipjack.

I did some trimming yesterday in the kiddie pool, and discovered some leaks...

One of them, probably the most concerning was a slow leak from the pushrod seal on the Ballast tank bulkhead. I put some silicone on that pushrod, and we'll see how that works.

The other two leaks were embarrassing...there are four (4) pushrod exits on the 3.5" WTC, and I'm only using two of them. Last time I checked, 4 minus 2 equals 2, which leaves two pushrod exits still open. Yup, there was water in the enginerooom.

I'll deservedly get my pee pee schwacked by the boss for doing that, but I guess live and learn. No real damage done.

Below are pics of the battery location, and the pushrod exits, NOW PLUGGED!

Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	82408Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (3).jpg
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	82409Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (4).jpg
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	82410

Comment

• spankey
                    Lieutenant Commander
                    • Aug 2010

Thank you for saving me from 6 lbs of a battery, I would have needed a lighter than air substitute to trim the boat!

Right now, the CG is within +/- 0.5" of the center of the ballast tank, which is 1" forward of the geometric center of the boat.

And, the boat is wet.....

Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	82411Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (3).jpg
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	82412Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (4).jpg
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	82413Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (5).jpg
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	82414

Comment

• Woogey
                      Ensign
                      • Mar 2016

Good day sir, I’m throwing this question out all over the place hoping I get an answer sooner than later. What propeller are you using for your LA? Do you have a link to the purchase site by chance?

-Preston

Comment

• spankey
                        Lieutenant Commander
                        • Aug 2010

I bought it from Prop Shop UK. The model number is....MS/28/7/RH/BR. https://www.prop-shop.co.uk/

I ordered a prop with a 20mm hub diameter, but I believe if you email them, they also have one in a 15mm hub diameter.

Hope this helps.
                        Last edited by spankey; 02-28-2022, 09:49 AM.

Comment

• SSBN659
                          Commander
                          • Feb 2009

When we moved to Arizona I gave up my Greg Sharpe LA plans along with several others. Now I'm sorry I did that. The LA plans I found online are suspect. Can someone tell me the following dimensions?
                          a. Length of bow to fwd parallel mid-body hull
                          b. Length of parallel mid-body hull
                          c.Length of after end mid-body to fwd end of prop.

This will help as I start another model using 3-1/2 inch PVC pipe as my parallel hull.
                          . Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6717.jpeg
Views:	213
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	161832

SSBN659
                          Will Rogers

Comment

• Das Boot
                            Rear Admiral
                            • Dec 2019

I love it when a 9 year old build comes back to life.
                            Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”

Comment

• trout
                              Admiral
                              • Jul 2011

Originally posted by SSBN659
                              When we moved to Arizona I gave up my Greg Sharpe LA plans along with several others. Now I'm sorry I did that. The LA plans I found online are suspect. Can someone tell me the following dimensions?
                              a. Length of bow to fwd parallel mid-body hull
                              b. Length of parallel mid-body hull
                              c.Length of after end mid-body to fwd end of prop.

This will help as I start another model using 3-1/2 inch PVC pipe as my parallel hull.
                              . Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6717.jpeg
Views:	213
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	161832

SSBN659
                              Will Rogers
                              Will,
                              Did I get those plans from you? If so, I will dig them up and send them to you.
                              peace,
                              tom
                              If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• SSBN659
                                Commander
                                • Feb 2009

Tom,
                                I don't think I sent the plans to you but if you are able to loan me yours I will return them after I get the information I need.
                                Thanks
                                SSBN659
                                Will Rogers

Comment

Working...