Clear All
  • Albacore 569
    Commander
    • Sep 2020

Comment

• JHapprich
      Captain
      • Oct 2017

A really nice, large and extraordinary boat, though i always found the early french post-ww2's a bit too exotic to my taste. I dont know what that flag chat is about, but i enjoyed watching the video very much. Thanks for sharing, Bob!

Comment

• Albacore 569
        Commander
        • Sep 2020

Originally posted by JHapprich
        A really nice, large and extraordinary boat, though i always found the early french post-ww2's a bit too exotic to my taste. I dont know what that flag chat is about, but i enjoyed watching the video very much. Thanks for sharing, Bob!
        I looked for many years looking at designs after nothing but Type 7 U boats. S Russian Alphas, and Akulas and Typhoons, even the wonderful Fleet boats. I love them all too , but model choices in a sea of historical significant or advancing designs evolution has always been limited. The impression then becomes only sub Innovation and history is limited to German, American and Russian subs? What about the British, Swedish, Dutch, Japanese, and French too? Modelers just had nothing else to build. In Norman Friedmans 'classic tech book 'Submarine Design and Development he mentions the 'Arethuse; class as remarkable little effective well balanced design for the mission task assigned then as Hunter Killer subs. 3d printing for these models for those that can afford them, with the right research material, (plans) affords a much broader range of choices of subjects. I wanted Arethuse to demonstrate that. I had to be persistent.

I thought, one propeller, (keep the propulsion arrangements simple and basic. Its a small sub, only 162 feet long, making it 61 inches long in 1.32 scale. So it will fit in the Car Trunk. Also it is a small boat bulild in a large scale (more opportunity for details easily). I didn't know French, but letter writing and emails using Google translate solved that, or at least good enough to get across what I was looing fo rand needed. The French National Museums were friendly & helpful if they had anything to share. Many didn't have, other had wonderful plans. I learned the French Arethuse used many design and features associated with the American Fleet boats! They adopted American Diesel Electric Fleet boat arrangement for the first time in French's Naval architecture. No diesel on a long prop shaft to clutch and de clutch . The diesels ran electic generators to the ships power, battery's, Propulsion Motor. Thn the motor arraignment was flexible to the designers where to place. It was efficient if a little heavier, but it was the only way in so small a hull anything else with sufficient power would work. The Periscopes on the Arethuse used the American ST radar ranging given by the Americans.

Those cool bow planes with both retracted is a great idea on the German 209's and the Arethuses. Bob mentioned streamlining in the Video which is exactly correct, but more, it minimizes flow noise for the passive sonars in those big upper and lower domes in Arethuses surrounding those bow planes. If the sonars where to be effective, the bow planes in design concept, there is always a reason why its this way or that. To me the bow planes also demonstrates simple physics, the control surfaces are small, but like a playground teeter tauter - its that long 'moment arm' the model demonstrates.

I'm so excited about Bobs new Radio's. The model submarine community has had an onus over its head because manufacturers stopped producing lower frequency Christal radios. Modeler submarine enthusiasts had to hoard and save. Bobs new 900 Hrz radio with it's powerful broadcasting (1/2 to 1 watt!) is a big breakthrough. I will be happy to show off Argonaute at regattas. The model will represent Nautilus Drydocks excellent work and innovations - & the future of Model submarines.

Steve

''
        Last edited by Albacore 569; 07-31-2023, 04:21 PM.

Comment

• RCSubGuy
          Welcome to my underwater realm!
          • Aug 2009

While I understand that a comment was posted in jest, it took away from the value and pride in this project. I say this not only as the one that built this boat, but speaking also from the perspective of many who frequent these forums. I've removed those comments in order to keep this thread clean.

Let's get back to the correct topic, shall we?

This was a challenging, but very rewarding build. It is a subject that is unusual and offered me a much needed break from the standard modern cigar tubes and fleet boats that sit on everyone's shelves. Bravo to Steve for persevering not only with me but with previous builders on this project. He willed it into reality and I'm happy he kept on me to get it done.

Now... we just need to get it to him in California in one piece....
          Last edited by RCSubGuy; 07-31-2023, 05:24 AM.

Comment

• JHapprich
            Captain
            • Oct 2017

Then here come two others for you, Steve: Swedish Hajen & Aborren II!

Comment

• Das Boot
              Rear Admiral
              • Dec 2019

What’s the weight come in at?
              Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                Welcome to my underwater realm!
                • Aug 2009

Hmm.. don't know that I weighed it dry. I'm guessing maybe 35lbs.

Comment

• Das Boot
                  Rear Admiral
                  • Dec 2019

Originally posted by RCSubGuy
                  Hmm.. don't know that I weighed it dry. I'm guessing maybe 35lbs.
                  Not bad for that behemoth. Nice looking boat.
                  Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”

Comment

• Albacore 569
                    Commander
                    • Sep 2020

Originally posted by Das Boot
                    What’s the weight come in at?
                    Weighs dry 26 pounds.

Comment

Working...