Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by SubDude

I sense more Tribute is in order at Subfest.
    Cold this time... damnit!
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• SubDude
      Captain
      • Dec 2019

Added control horns to the rudders and stern planes. I have a plan for how I am going to set up the linkages. Here is a short video of how the stern planes work.

And some pics of the inside of the tail cone. I haven't added set screws yet to the control horns. So far everything moves freely and the entire tail section can be easily disassembled.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220807_192218.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	163551

Name:	20220807_192240.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	163552

Comment

• Aug 2008

Well done, Steve!
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• SubDude
          Captain
          • Dec 2019

I decided to change the appearance of the WAA's to be closer to scale. The two most aft ones have convex edges as is proper whereas the remaining four have concave edges. A simple reshaping of the edges with a Dremel sanding drum would be in most cases sufficient but the shapes of the WAA's is also off a bit for me. Having the Trumpeter 1/144 model as an example of what they should look like is a big help. After translating some measurements to the scale of my boat I cut some 0.020 thick Styrene sheet to the proper size and shape for the aft Port WAA. Because the aft most arrays have more of a contoured shape I knew they would be more a challenge to adhere the Styrene properly. I cut some blue foam camping mat to the same shape as the Styrene and using a couple small pieces of plywood clamped the foam tight to help shape the Styrene to the intended surface after applying black Starbond CA to glue it down. Worked like a charm. Once set I did a little grinding work around the edge with the Dremel to clean it up. The new array shape was smaller than the old array which left a large area to remove and was just too much to tackle with the Dremel so I got one of those vibrating saws and used it to cut the remaining array loose. Then it was a simple matter of some Rage Evercoat bondo, sanding, Nitro Stan, sanding and now it is proper. After I do the Starboard side the four remaining WAA's will be a snap. There is also some rework I am going to do regarding the torpedo doors that will come later.

The Trumpeter WAA I am trying to achieve.

Name:	20220810_212803.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	163625
          Before... (Starboard side)

Name:	20220811_080620.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	163626
          After... (Port side)

Name:	20220811_080548.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	163627
          Close enough for me.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Careful, Steve. If the coefficients of expansion between your WAA substrates are at any significant variance between themselves and your printed hull, the WAA's will evidence cracking as you quench your noon-day sun heated model into the cool waters of Red Clay Resort.

David
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• SubDude
              Captain
              • Dec 2019

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
              Careful, Steve. If the coefficients of expansion between your WAA substrates are at any significant variance between themselves and your printed hull, the WAA's will evidence cracking as you quench your noon-day sun heated model into the cool waters of Red Clay Resort.

David
              ABS is 40-60% Styrene which helps and I try to keep a very close eye on sun exposure to my boats no matter what material they are printed out of. It's a left over habit that was developed with flying foamy airplanes. I will certainly be watching out for it.

Comment

• SubDude
                Captain
                • Dec 2019

All of the printing is done. It took over 1500 hours total and 15 spools of filament. Still a lot of finish work to do but I got a cradle made for it today.

Name:	20220818_132801.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	163959

Name:	20220818_132815.jpg
Views:	336
ID:	163960

Comment

• hywel
                  Lieutenant
                  • Aug 2022

Click image for larger version Name:	20220719_233128.jpg Views:	0 Size:	85.4 KB ID:	163045
                  Close up of the same where the extension is located with my custom tube anchors.
                  Awesome build, I can't imagine how huge this thing is in person! I had a question - would you make the STL for your custom tube anchors available for a fee by chance? I'll need to use something similar on my Typhoon so buying vs. modeling is always better if it's possible. Thanks for your consideration!

Comment

• Sinksalot
                    Commander
                    • Mar 2020

All of the printing is done. It took over 1500 hours total and 15 spools of filament. Still a lot of finish work to do but I got a cradle made for it today.

Name:	20220818_132801.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	163959

Name:	20220818_132815.jpg
Views:	336
ID:	163960
                    Very nice build Steve. 1500 hours is a long time.

When are you going to cut the hole in the roof. For the crane for lifting it.

Comment

• SubDude
                      Captain
                      • Dec 2019

Originally posted by hywel

Awesome build, I can't imagine how huge this thing is in person! I had a question - would you make the STL for your custom tube anchors available for a fee by chance? I'll need to use something similar on my Typhoon so buying vs. modeling is always better if it's possible. Thanks for your consideration!
                      No charge. Just need an email to send it to. PM me your email.

Comment

• hywel
                        Lieutenant
                        • Aug 2022

No charge. Just need an email to send it to. PM me your email.
                        Thank you, it looks like it's going to work out awesomely.

Comment

• SubDude
                          Captain
                          • Dec 2019

Preparing for Subfest has had me working on my other boats to get them ready as well as getting my trailer ready to haul everything so I have not been able to get much done on this project until today. Made some good progress gluing the top sections together. So far things seem to be lining up well. It is always a process of tweaking, filling and sanding but it will get there.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220903_214731.jpg Views:	0 Size:	56.6 KB ID:	164386
                          I didn't like how much unsupported hull I had fore and aft so I added two more supports to the cradle. I still have a lot to do before it is ready for primer.

Comment

• DrSchmidt
                            Captain
                            • Apr 2014

Bloody helll....that thing is huge.

Comment

• rwtdiver
                              Vice Admiral
                              • Feb 2019

Originally posted by DrSchmidt
                              Bloody helll....that thing is huge.
                              Andreas, said it well!!

Do you realize the "Jimmy Carter" would not even fit into my building room, width and length no way, diagonally, may be! That's one beautiful boat Steve!

Rob
                              "Firemen can stand the heat"

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                                Welcome to my underwater realm!
                                • Aug 2009

I love it, Steve! The HMK Seawolf kit that I got from Erich's estate looks like it was going to be cut up and extended as Jimmy Carter. That got reversed when we got our hands on her, but you have me re-thinking the idea! I'd love to see this at SUBFEST, functional or no...

Bob

Comment

Working...