1/48 3D Printed USS Jimmy Carter

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SubICman
    replied
    Okay, i didnt see a picture in your post Steve.

In answer to the previous question of a "tooth". A little further research shows that there is a pintle "tooth" bearing at the end of the stabilizer. I can upload a sketch later.

Leave a comment:

• SubDude
    replied
    Originally posted by SubICman
    Steve, whatever you do will be fine. The hull is big enough that it shouldn't be too much of a problem, but if you decide to stay with what you have, it will still work.
    The picture is kinda misleading. The cuts have already been made. Doing a little Bondo work where I joined the tip parts together and then time to do some careful drilling.

Leave a comment:

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
    replied
    Originally posted by SubDude
    This is what I am going with. Drilling the additional shaft hole in the fixed planes for the tip planes and keeping it straight will be a bi**h but I am going to give it a try. Ehh, it's just plastic.

(You do know... Steve!... this is pay-back for making me add those vertical stabilizers to my THRESHER models).

Leave a comment:

• SubICman
    replied
    Steve, whatever you do will be fine. The hull is big enough that it shouldn't be too much of a problem, but if you decide to stay with what you have, it will still work.

Leave a comment:

• SubDude
    replied
    This is what I am going with. Drilling the additional shaft hole in the fixed planes for the tip planes and keeping it straight will be a bi**h but I am going to give it a try. Ehh, it's just plastic.

Leave a comment:

• SubICman
    replied
    Well let's see my references. MY EYEBALLS, I saw Seawolf and JC in drydocks while they were still in Groton. Yes that is a Viginia stern and no it isn't the same as a Seawolf. And to cover the other bases, previously qualified COW/DOOW on 88's and previously qualified pilot/copilot on VAs.

Leave a comment:

• Sam Victory
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	SSN23_1_new.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	163358

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by CC Clarke
    Not sure where people are getting stern shots of the SSN-21 class from, but this is the stern of a VA class with a split stern plane config and it looks completely different from what's being displayed. Here's a VA stern shot:

CC
    The title says, "... USS JIMMY CARTER". A SEAWOLF class design lengthened for spooky-poo stuff. Where does the VIRGINIA class come in here as source material for Steve's model? Or am I all wrong here?

VIRGINIA ain't SEAWOLF. Duh.

David

Leave a comment:

• CC Clarke
    replied
    Not sure where people are getting stern shots of the SSN-21 class from, (let's see the reference) but this is the stern of a VA class with a split stern plane config and it looks completely different from what's being discussed. Here's a VA stern shot:

CC
    Last edited by CC Clarke; 08-03-2022, 09:12 PM.

Leave a comment:

replied

Practical and sensible as always sir. Makes total sense now that I realize you were displaying different scales in the same post. So based on the 1/96 boat the inboards were not supported by a "tooth" as I call it?
    That's right. The inboards (on my model, anyway, not sure about the prototypes) did not have an outboard bearing, supported in whole by the operating shaft.

David

Leave a comment:

• SubDude
    replied
    Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

You're spot on, sir. The larger 1/96 model had the room for independently operated stern planes -- one set inboard, the other set the full-flying outboards, each set with their own operating shafts. The smaller 1/144 model only had room for a simplified arrangement which ganged the inboard and outboard control surfaces on a single operating shaft -- a cheat.

David
    Practical and sensible as always sir. Makes total sense now that I realize you were displaying different scales in the same post. So based on the 1/96 boat the inboards were not supported by a "tooth" as I call it?

Leave a comment:

replied

David, did you use a single pivot rod for the surfaces or two? I see what looks like both ways in your pics. The finished model has two but one pic of the raw parts appears to show just one and a support 'tooth' or whatever it's called extending from the fixed horizontal plane?
    You're spot on, sir. The larger 1/96 model had the room for independently operated stern planes -- one set inboard, the other set the full-flying outboards, each set with their own operating shafts. The smaller 1/144 model only had room for a simplified arrangement which ganged the inboard and outboard control surfaces on a single operating shaft -- a cheat.

David

Leave a comment:

• SubDude
    replied
    Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

David, did you use a single pivot rod for the surfaces or two? I see what looks like both ways in your pics. The finished model has two but one pic of the raw parts appears to show just one and a support 'tooth' or whatever it's called extending from the fixed horizontal plane?

Leave a comment:

• SubICman
    replied
    Dave with the win on pics.

The newer ship control systems could handle it, but i do know that the dihedral surfaces do dampen out the roll and snap phenomena so no need to operate the split planes as such.
    Last edited by SubICman; 08-02-2022, 10:45 PM.

Leave a comment:

• SubDude
    replied
    Ok. Decision time... I gotta noodle on this one a bit.

Leave a comment:

Working...