X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bellboy1
    Ensign
    • Apr 2022

!/144 Trumpeter Kilo help

I am starting a static diving sub using the trumpeter kilo kit. I picked up one of the fitting kits from Nautilus Drydocks recently and have figured out most of the contents but have have a couple questions for those who have gone down this path before. I have read quite a few of the posts on building this boat but there is some information missing and since I am new to the static driving sub hobby I hope I can get some help on those answers. (So maybe this should be in the newbie section but oh well I can post progress here as I go along. )
    1. In the contents of the fitting kit there is a part that I thought was some type of bearing cup. Upon review of the build logs and Dave's photos I now believe this is actually the wall and lower floor for the corrected escape hatch. First is this correct? and second does the new drilled hole go exactly where the old part was? I can use the existing positioning holes to center and drill for the corrected escape hatch or move it to a correct position?
    2. Since the original cabal report links no longer work and I'm not sure there were formal instructions for the kilo conversion, Did the original builds have flood holes in the bottom section of the hull? I have to believe it did to work properly but it does not really show up in the photos I have been able to find Any recommendation on how many and where to position them?
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Bellboy1
    I am starting a static diving sub using the trumpeter kilo kit. I picked up one of the fitting kits from Nautilus Drydocks recently and have figured out most of the contents but have have a couple questions for those who have gone down this path before. I have read quite a few of the posts on building this boat but there is some information missing and since I am new to the static driving sub hobby I hope I can get some help on those answers. (So maybe this should be in the newbie section but oh well I can post progress here as I go along. )
    1. In the contents of the fitting kit there is a part that I thought was some type of bearing cup. Upon review of the build logs and Dave's photos I now believe this is actually the wall and lower floor for the corrected escape hatch. First is this correct? and second does the new drilled hole go exactly where the old part was? I can use the existing positioning holes to center and drill for the corrected escape hatch or move it to a correct position?
    2. Since the original cabal report links no longer work and I'm not sure there were formal instructions for the kilo conversion, Did the original builds have flood holes in the bottom section of the hull? I have to believe it did to work properly but it does not really show up in the photos I have been able to find Any recommendation on how many and where to position them?

Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Bellboy1
      Ensign
      • Apr 2022

Awesome. That helps a lot. Most of the other photos from your build thread were from the top or included the subdriver so I could not see the bottom of the hull. Time to start assembly!

Comment

• Aug 2008

Awesome. That helps a lot. Most of the other photos from your build thread were from the top or included the subdriver so I could not see the bottom of the hull. Time to start assembly!
        Go get 'em, Tiger!
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Das Boot
          Rear Admiral
          • Dec 2019

How in God’s name did you cram all of that into such a small cylinder? Houdini Merriman.
          Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Das Boot
            How in God’s name did you cram all of that into such a small cylinder? Houdini Merriman.
            God like talent, good looks, a charming personality, and a ****ing big shoe-horn.

David
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• RCSubGuy
              Welcome to my underwater realm!
              • Aug 2009

Small sub people are a different kind of something. Kudos to them, but I'd never go that route myself. Fingers are too big, eyes are too bad, and patience is too thin!

Bob

Comment

• Bellboy1
                Ensign
                • Apr 2022

I also do N scale trains among many other hobby pursuits so this is relatively large in comparison. Its all in the perspective!

Comment

• Aug 2008

I also do N scale trains among many other hobby pursuits so this is relatively large in comparison. Its all in the perspective!
                  Then, this **** is right up your alley. But the title of 'small r/c submarine' God goes to Manfred and Tom. I could only hope to do such small, finickity stuff!

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0006.JPG
Views:	307
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	161307

Name:	DSCN0042 (4).JPG
Views:	290
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	161308

Name:	DSCN0078.JPG
Views:	286
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	161309

David
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Bellboy1
                    Ensign
                    • Apr 2022

Uuuuhhhhmmm yeah. Let me see if I can get the Kilo working before trying to tackle that!

The linear servos and receiver /esc combo from the UMX series planes could make some real possibilities for small working models. Combine it with the super small brushless quad motors to run in the wet area and there may be some additional small model possibilities. Pushrod seals that small may be an issue. hmmmmmm, Crap now I'm thinking about it!

Kilo first! I want a working static sub in the water soon!

Comment

• Aug 2008

Uuuuhhhhmmm yeah. Let me see if I can get the Kilo working before trying to tackle that!

The linear servos and receiver /esc combo from the UMX series planes could make some real possibilities for small working models. Combine it with the super small brushless quad motors to run in the wet area and there may be some additional small model possibilities. Pushrod seals that small may be an issue. hmmmmmm, Crap now I'm thinking about it!

Kilo first! I want a working static sub in the water soon!
                      This should amplify and resolve your servo observation and question. Pushrod seals?.... we need naw stnkn pushrod seals!

Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Bellboy1
                        Ensign
                        • Apr 2022

I love it!

Comment

• Bellboy1
                          Ensign
                          • Apr 2022

Its been a few weeks now since I posted but I have been making progress between life events. The hull is together, flood ports drilled, resin parts installed, and I have rounded up all the electronics for my WTC. Now its time for my next dumb question. How did you attach your prop to the shaft? I purchased a 1/16 SS shaft but the prop holes are clearance drilled so they slip right onto the shaft. Plan one had been to cut threads on the shaft and through the prop. It seem unlikely now that that is how it was done originally. The original parts list for the Kilo conversion looks like it included the same shaft size, so do you just epoxy the prop and endcap to the shaft? At this small size it seems like that would work but wanted to confirm. My current leaning is for a dab of JB weld. I've had mixed luck with metal to metal with my regular bob smith epoxies.

Comment

• Bellboy1
                            Ensign
                            • Apr 2022

On a second subject, I also picked up the little skipjack conversion. I had a plastic kit of it so why not make it go? Dave, did you make yours a static diving sub? I read a lot of the older forum stuff on your small WTC and efforts to make it static diving compatible but I may go KISS method and just make it dynamic diving. Small 4 ch receivers are becoming a problem too.

Comment

• Aug 2008

The little SKIPJACK propeller was glued to the shaft. The slightly fatter hub of the 1/144 KILO permitted use of a setscrew to secure that propeller to the propeller shaft.

The little SKIPJACK WTC was of the dynamic diving type.
                              Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...