Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and expectations

Hello, and welcome to the forums at the Nautilus Drydocks, formerly Sub-driver.com!

We welcome anyone with a passion for submarines and a desire to learn and share knowledge about this fascinating hobby. Use of these forums indicates your intention to abide by our code of conduct:


1. No spam. All automated messages, advertisements, and links to competitor websites will be deleted immediately.

2. Please post in relevant sub-forums only. Messages posted in the wrong topic area will be removed and placed in the correct sub-forum by moderators.

3. Respect other users. No flaming or abusing fellow forum members. Users who continue to post inflammatory, abusive comments will be deleted from the forum after or without a warning.

4. No threats or harassment of other users will be tolerated. Any instance of threatening or harassing behavior is grounds for deletion from the forums.

5. No profanity or pornography is allowed. Posts containing adult material will be deleted.

6. No re-posting of copyrighted materials or other illegal content is allowed. Any posts containing illegal content or copyrighted materials will be deleted.
See more
See less

!/144 Trumpeter Kilo help

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • !/144 Trumpeter Kilo help

    I am starting a static diving sub using the trumpeter kilo kit. I picked up one of the fitting kits from Nautilus Drydocks recently and have figured out most of the contents but have have a couple questions for those who have gone down this path before. I have read quite a few of the posts on building this boat but there is some information missing and since I am new to the static driving sub hobby I hope I can get some help on those answers. (So maybe this should be in the newbie section but oh well I can post progress here as I go along. )
    1. In the contents of the fitting kit there is a part that I thought was some type of bearing cup. Upon review of the build logs and Dave's photos I now believe this is actually the wall and lower floor for the corrected escape hatch. First is this correct? and second does the new drilled hole go exactly where the old part was? I can use the existing positioning holes to center and drill for the corrected escape hatch or move it to a correct position?
    2. Since the original cabal report links no longer work and I'm not sure there were formal instructions for the kilo conversion, Did the original builds have flood holes in the bottom section of the hull? I have to believe it did to work properly but it does not really show up in the photos I have been able to find Any recommendation on how many and where to position them?

  • #2
    Originally posted by Bellboy1 View Post
    I am starting a static diving sub using the trumpeter kilo kit. I picked up one of the fitting kits from Nautilus Drydocks recently and have figured out most of the contents but have have a couple questions for those who have gone down this path before. I have read quite a few of the posts on building this boat but there is some information missing and since I am new to the static driving sub hobby I hope I can get some help on those answers. (So maybe this should be in the newbie section but oh well I can post progress here as I go along. )
    1. In the contents of the fitting kit there is a part that I thought was some type of bearing cup. Upon review of the build logs and Dave's photos I now believe this is actually the wall and lower floor for the corrected escape hatch. First is this correct? and second does the new drilled hole go exactly where the old part was? I can use the existing positioning holes to center and drill for the corrected escape hatch or move it to a correct position?
    2. Since the original cabal report links no longer work and I'm not sure there were formal instructions for the kilo conversion, Did the original builds have flood holes in the bottom section of the hull? I have to believe it did to work properly but it does not really show up in the photos I have been able to find Any recommendation on how many and where to position them?






    Resident Luddite

    Comment


    • #3
      Awesome. That helps a lot. Most of the other photos from your build thread were from the top or included the subdriver so I could not see the bottom of the hull. Time to start assembly!

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Bellboy1 View Post
        Awesome. That helps a lot. Most of the other photos from your build thread were from the top or included the subdriver so I could not see the bottom of the hull. Time to start assembly!
        Go get 'em, Tiger!
        Resident Luddite

        Comment


        • #5
          How in God’s name did you cram all of that into such a small cylinder? Houdini Merriman.
          Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Das Boot View Post
            How in God’s name did you cram all of that into such a small cylinder? Houdini Merriman.
            God like talent, good looks, a charming personality, and a ****ing big shoe-horn.

            David
            Resident Luddite

            Comment


            • #7
              Small sub people are a different kind of something. Kudos to them, but I'd never go that route myself. Fingers are too big, eyes are too bad, and patience is too thin!

              Bob

              Comment


              • #8
                I also do N scale trains among many other hobby pursuits so this is relatively large in comparison. Its all in the perspective!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Bellboy1 View Post
                  I also do N scale trains among many other hobby pursuits so this is relatively large in comparison. Its all in the perspective!
                  Then, this **** is right up your alley. But the title of 'small r/c submarine' God goes to Manfred and Tom. I could only hope to do such small, finickity stuff!

                  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0006.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	161307

                  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0042 (4).JPG
Views:	38
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	161308

                  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0078.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	161309

                  David
                  Resident Luddite

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Uuuuhhhhmmm yeah. Let me see if I can get the Kilo working before trying to tackle that!

                    The linear servos and receiver /esc combo from the UMX series planes could make some real possibilities for small working models. Combine it with the super small brushless quad motors to run in the wet area and there may be some additional small model possibilities. Pushrod seals that small may be an issue. hmmmmmm, Crap now I'm thinking about it!

                    Kilo first! I want a working static sub in the water soon!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Bellboy1 View Post
                      Uuuuhhhhmmm yeah. Let me see if I can get the Kilo working before trying to tackle that!

                      The linear servos and receiver /esc combo from the UMX series planes could make some real possibilities for small working models. Combine it with the super small brushless quad motors to run in the wet area and there may be some additional small model possibilities. Pushrod seals that small may be an issue. hmmmmmm, Crap now I'm thinking about it!

                      Kilo first! I want a working static sub in the water soon!
                      This should amplify and resolve your servo observation and question. Pushrod seals?.... we need naw stnkn pushrod seals!











                      Resident Luddite

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I love it!

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X