Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MFR1964
    Detail Nut of the First Order
    • Sep 2010

Driving the Bibers is fun, they are dynamic divers, no backbreaking efforts to get them in the water, each time i drive them people are amazed they work so well.

Controlling both Bibers happens with two equal receivers but using different channels, so that one you guessed right, that transmittor i have has two modes, PCM, which is used for the type VII, and PPM for controlling the Bibers.
    It is a computer bases transmittor, pretty much a fore runner of the Wyfly we now use, it's possible to control every channel, i've got a bible-size manual with leads the way.

Both the hulls from the type VII came from a belgium club, they wanted a flottilla of type VII's, it never materialised, some where build, as i recall right, only two or three where build as functional model.
    I got mine as part of a buy from a guy who stopped building those boats, my mentor type VII was laid down himself from the mold, the mold itself was CNC created and spliited in two, unfortunally it is missing, either placed on a dusty attic or ended up at a landfill.

Thanks for the complements, i gathered my skills from my mentor and trying each time, even when you fail, which offcourse is also a learningprocess to become better.

Manfred.

I went underground

Comment

• JHapprich
      Captain
      • Oct 2017

A shame the molds are gone, Manfred. Brings up one question, do you know if the master was built from scratch or eyeballed*twinkle* from a Schaffer U-995?

After some research and building an entire tech rack around the big 750' i decided to use the 550' instead. More versatile i have more parts for them etc. Plus the torque of the bigger engines would tear the shafts/couplings apart, i am afraid. Engel uses 540' in their Typhoon at 25 kg wet weight so i believe they are scale for an 1/50 Whiskey.

Have a nice afternoon again thanks for your advice

Jörg

Comment

• MFR1964
        • Sep 2010

Jorg,

Not eyeballed, but made after reichswerft drawings, for it's time, we talk 80's, it was a good hull to make a nice type VII.
        Good choice on the 550's, the torque should be enough, as long your Wiskey is not too heavy you've got a good combination, my pleasure to give you some advice.
        There is a guy at belgium who has made some new molds, drawn from a original hull which he has found.

Manfred.
        Last edited by MFR1964; 01-23-2022, 02:03 PM.
        I went underground

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
          Captain
          • Apr 2020

Manfred,

Speaking of future Seehund builds, have you seen the 1/35 scale kit put out by Bronco? Not sure how they measure up detail wise to the resin models from Verlinden.

Nick

Comment

• redboat219
            Admiral
            • Dec 2008

I'd like to see Manfred tackle the 1/35 British X-craft from I love kit ( Merit). Click image for larger version

Name:	images (21).jpeg
Views:	204
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	158407
            Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
              Captain
              • Apr 2020

Originally posted by redboat219
              I'd like to see Manfred tackle the 1/35 British X-craft from I love kit ( Merit). Click image for larger version

Name:	images (21).jpeg
Views:	204
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	158407
              Finish your damn kilo already

Comment

• MFR1964
                • Sep 2010

Nick,

Plastick models are only suited as wet models, running them dry is asking for troubles, it's better to make a hull from epoxy.

Your question about the Verlinden Seehund,

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220124_203652.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	158466

This is the resin hull i own, PE parts and other resin parts to make a complete Seehund.

Name:	20220124_203736.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	158467

This is the one my mentor made, i suspect he made a mold from the Verlinden Seehund, followed pretty much the same way as with the Bibers.

Name:	20220124_203834.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	158468

Name:	20220124_203842.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	158469

Same layout as with the Bibers, same method of sealing it up.

Name:	20220124_203855.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	158470

You split the Seehund this way, screw are hidden when put together.

Name:	20220124_204501.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	158471

If you like really small, builded this Marder scale 1:35 a few years ago, controlling it with a toy-transmittor, it's a suface runner, don't want it to push too far.

Romel,

That ain't gonna happen, my plate is full, got other projects to do, it seems that people forget that building micro is as hard as building big, and the result is a bathtub submarine, i'm more a open water guy.

Manfred.
                I went underground

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
                  Captain
                  • Apr 2020

Manfred,

You make an excellent point about plastic hull models versus epoxy hull models for building a dry hull boat. I’m curious as to how your friend made the epoxy Seehund and Biber hulls from the molds. Were they laid up as port and starboard halves and then epoxied together?

Nice work on the Marder!

Nick

Comment

• MFR1964
                    • Sep 2010

Nick,

Traditional build as two halves from the mold, glued/epoxied to make one hull.

Name:	20220126_192658.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	158521

This is the mold i still have from the Bibers, he used gipsen to stabilise the mold, probably started it with pusing down the resin model halfway untill the gipsen turned hard, used the same method in the past, disadvantage is, only usable a few times, i used mine one time to get me the hull i wanted, smashed it to retrieve the epoxy hull.
                    Now i build my molds to last, those days, we wanted models which were not availibe didn't matter how.

Manfred.
                    I went underground

Comment

• redboat219
                      Admiral
                      • Dec 2008

Wanted to try this with my Revell Type ViI, but doesn't gypsum undergo an exothermic reaction -gives off heat, that can warp the styrene?

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
                        Captain
                        • Apr 2020

Manfred,

Thank you for taking the time to show the mold and explain the process. Looks like he first made the soft rubber mold like rtv to capture the fine details and the gypsum as a hard support for the rubber. Very similar to using rtv rubber with a hard fiberglass backing. Very clever.

Nick
                        Last edited by Monahan Steam Models; 01-26-2022, 10:00 PM.

Comment

• redboat219
                          Admiral
                          • Dec 2008

This looks like a good technique for making molds for GRP copies of styrene hulls for personnal use. https://youtu.be/tbFzzueUcVs

The clay protects the styrene from the heat of the plaster or fiberglass strongback while it cures.

Comment

Working...