Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MFR1964
    Detail Nut of the First Order
    • Sep 2010

Batteries are done, compressor is running like a dream, adjusting the bollard system,

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220117_192726.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	158188

Rising and lowering the bollards is controlled by this sliding tooth rail, which is driven by the antennalift using a sprocket.

Name:	20220117_192750.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	158189

He used bowdencable to transfer the motion to the levers which on their turn lift the bollards, the lever at the top of the picture is in the lowest position, which means bollards down.

Name:	20220117_192810.jpg
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	158190

This is the highest position, so, bollards up, the trick is, find the softspot where the bollards retract enough and show up at the highest point without creating mayhem at the mechanism.

Name:	20220117_192820.jpg
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	158191

The bollards self are gravity controlled, so they go down as the levers stop pushing them up, trick is to clean those tubes in which the bollards run, so the slightest motion will raise or lower them.

Name:	20220119_195649.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	158192

This is a teaser, Type XVIIb is on the bench, still have to play around with the bibers, even small boats need maintenance, when done i can turn my attention to the type XVIIb, stay tuned.

Manfred.
    I went underground

Comment

• redboat219
      Admiral
      • Dec 2008

Manfred,
      can you post close up photos of the bibers. I've watched their video but would like to see more detail.
      Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
        Captain
        • Apr 2020

I was wondering what the mechanism looked like for raising and lowering the bollards. Very clever and very well done.

You are a lot further along on the type XVII than I recall last seeing in your build posts.

Yes the Bibers are cool, please post updates.

Comment

• JHapprich
          Captain
          • Oct 2017

Manfred, thank you for the detail pictures and the report.
          i would like to know more about the main engines. It is a large model and i am building a large model right now ( as you know). I am unsure about the proper engines, 550' 12v or 750' 12v high torque. The hull is 168cm long, empty weight around 6kg, i estimate another 10kg for the inerts. I tend to the larger motors, however the Robbe kits of the VIIB and XXI use small motors with roughly same hull dimensions and weight.

Best regards
          Jörg

Comment

• MFR1964
            • Sep 2010

Jorg,

Main engines are Marx Monoperms, geared 3:1, 12 V max current draw 0,75 A each, those are brushed enigines, low tech, total weight of the boat is 17 kg, lenght about 2 meters, i guess he went for scale speed and endurance, this boat is build to last at least 5 hours of continues driving full speed.
            I personally would go for 550 or if you want to have some power 750, it's more a matter of taste, speed against endurance, it's your choice.

Manfred.
            I went underground

Comment

• MFR1964
              • Sep 2010

Last step is check up on the Bibers,

Name:	20220120_190325.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	158256

Build as dynamic divers, and it is possible to fasten them on the deck of the type VII, the idea was, drive off with the type VII, lower the type VII to free the Bibers and send them on patrol.

Name:	20220120_190359.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	158257

Charging happens by taking off the left torpedohead, revealing a plug to charge the Bibers.

Name:	20220120_190426.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	158258

Maintenance is pretty straight forward, charging them to check-up the battery capacity, lubricate the shaft by taking off the two nipples and fill it up with oil, grease the steeringrods with vaseline.

Name:	20220121_193011.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	158259

Name:	20220121_193031.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	158260

Some showpictures of the bibers.

Name:	20220121_193047.jpg
Views:	146
ID:	158261

Those cradles have magnets put inside the frame.

Name:	20220121_193100.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	158262

Hidden inside the right torpedo is a reedswitch, lifting the boat will activade it.

Name:	20220121_193127.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	158263

Name:	20220121_193137.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	158264

Both the divingplane and the rudder are fuctional, ESC inside is a print retrieved from a servo,also inside there are two micro-servo's and a stripped 5 channel receiver.

Nick,

Regarding the type XVII.

I did some work in the winter of 2020, placed the compressor and some airlines, had to end the work due to the start-up of the new cave.

Manfred.

I went underground

Comment

• JHapprich
                Captain
                • Oct 2017

Originally posted by MFR1964
                Jorg,

Main engines are Marx Monoperms, geared 3:1, 12 V max current draw 0,75 A each, those are brushed enigines, low tech, total weight of the boat is 17 kg, lenght about 2 meters, i guess he went for scale speed and endurance, this boat is build to last at least 5 hours of continues driving full speed.
                I personally would go for 550 or if you want to have some power 750, it's more a matter of taste, speed against endurance, it's your choice.

Manfred.
                Thank you, it helped!

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
                  Captain
                  • Apr 2020

Manfred,

The Bibers are very cool! The fine details on each of them are awesome. What is the story on them? Are they completely scratch built or did they start off as a resin or plastic model kit that was modified?

Nick

Comment

• MFR1964
                    • Sep 2010

Nick,

I guess they started as a resin model from Verlinden, they had the Biber and the Seehund as a 1:35 model in their line, he made a casting of both models, still have the mold from which are the Bibers derived.
                    If i remember right he made both Bibers from underwear cloth and epoxy, more to catch every detail, used the PE parts to detail them, the torpedo's are made from cigartubes, rear ends from the kit torpedo's, front end turned from that strange plastick that floats on water, extra details on the torpedo's are scratchbuild.
                    I still have a Seehund scale 1:35 in the row, he had made the hull allready, bought a while back the Verlinden kit for details, it will be build, but first the type XVII.
                    If you want pictures of the inside i have to search them down in the digital archives, it took me some time to get them running, the problem was, he runned them on 6 V, micro servo's only run on 4,8V, after some time they burn through, i reduced the voltage to 4,8V and replaced all servo's
                    You can split them in two to reach inside, they are sealed by using rtv, and hold together with some M2 screws, to check for watertight, weigh them before and after the plunge, there will be some difference between dry anf wet but when you have too much difference you have a leak to sort out.
                    Before driving you have to acclimatice them in the water, after a few minutes you can seal them up, by closing the schnorkelheads.

Manfred.

I went underground

Comment

• redboat219
                      Admiral
                      • Dec 2008

Comment

• redboat219
                        Admiral
                        • Dec 2008

I had the impression that they only had rudder and throttle.

Comment

• MFR1964
                          • Sep 2010

They are as functional as they can be, goal is in the future to get the Seehund alive with shooting torpedo's and some extra gizmo's.

Manfred.
                          I went underground

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
                            Captain
                            • Apr 2020

Manfred,

Thank you for sharing more details about the Bibers. The type VII by itself is an amazing build. The detail and quality of construction put into the Bibers is also absolutely amazing. I am always blown away with the stuff you share on this forum. Top quality first class builds! Thank you!

Nick

Comment

• MFR1964
                              • Sep 2010

Nick,

I have to give my mentor the credits, since he has build all those wunderfull things on the type VII, and Bibers, i stand on his shoulders to keep the torch lit, i've got some pics from the archives about the Bibers,

Name:	P7280498.JPG
Views:	153
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	158313

Rear-end of a Biber, gearded to counteract the position of the lower shaf

Name:	P7280499.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	158314

Front-end of the Biber, both back and front have a aluminum rib, which is used to give a good seal when RTV is used and everything is hold on it's place with screws;

Name:	P7280500.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	158315

The frame which holds the servo's.

Name:	P7280502.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	158316

The removed servo's, you can they are bulged near the bottom, that was the main problem due to the too high voltage.

Name:	P7290506.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	158317

Both Bibers ripped open to reveal their gutts.

Name:	P7290510.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	158318

First servo bracket placed, there is just enough room to place the servo's

Name:	P7290513.JPG
Views:	119
ID:	158320

Servo's placed inside their rack, secured with screws, since it not possible to open the boat time after time it has to be maintenance free.

Name:	P7290508.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	158319

Last picture from the archives, i'm now turn my attention to the type XVII since everything is in working order, hope to get her run this spring.

Manfred.

I went underground

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
                                Captain
                                • Apr 2020

Manfred,

Thank you for taking the time to get these photos from your archives and post them here. I’m enjoying learning more about their construction. The level of detail and the thought that went into each of their builds is impressive. The aluminum mating flanges are just one small detail out of the many that make these so neat. They look like they would be a lot of fun to operate.

Controlling each Biber from the same transmitter at the same time is a neat trick. How is that possible? Are both Bibers on the same frequency but using different servo channels than the other and isn’t that the same transmitter that the type VII also uses?

I meant to ask you earlier about where the fiberglass hulls for both your original type VII and your mentor’s type VII came from?

When I said that your builds were top quality and first class, I was also referring to your original type VII build, your type XXIII, the type XVII and your Ko-Hyoteki. Also your electric torpedoes and launchers. You have some serious skills and talent and I enjoy seeing the stuff you build and work on.

Nick

Comment

Working...