• Show
Clear All
  • Monahan Steam Models
    Captain
    • Apr 2020

Originally posted by Ken_NJ
    Nice job. Encouraging method!
    Thanks Ken!

The type XXIII should be much easier to split the hull using this method than it was on the type VII due to the saddle tanks and thickness of the hull. The type XXIII has a much more streamline hull which will make laying out the cut line and scribed lines very pleasant to work with.

Comment

• goshawk823
      Lieutenant Commander
      • Oct 2010

Wow. Something I hadn’t considered while building my Arkmodel. I like the idea of not having to deal with removal of that last section to try and access everything as well. I’m interested to see how you’re going to tab the hull and upper deck to keep alignment across the entire boat. I’ve been worrying about all the bits that could fall off while wrestling with the limited access, too.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
        • Aug 2008

I would suggest the inclusion of indexing tabs on the lower and upper hull. You stagger them between the two hull halves and what you get is a hull half section being prevented from bowing inboard while next to it is another indexing tab on the other hull half keeping it from bowing inboard. The result is perfect registration of the longitudinally running edges of the two hull pieces. This 1/72 FOXTROT illustrates the indexing tab scheme I favor. Very much the arrangement I would use on the waterline-split 1/48 Type-7.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0119.JPG
Views:	389
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	156212

Name:	023 (8).JPG
Views:	371
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	156211

And applied to the Bronco 1/35 Type-23 kit.

Name:	DSCF4528.JPG
Views:	391
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	156209

Name:	DSCF4740.JPG
Views:	389
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	156208

Name:	DSCF4901.JPG
Views:	419
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	156207

And to a 1/72 THRESHER. Note the inclusion of 'capture lips' to supplement registration by pressing outboard on the opposed indexing tab -- needed for hulls that otherwise would be wildly out of registration.

Name:	DSCF9215.JPG
Views:	380
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	156210

David
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
          Captain
          • Apr 2020

David,

In your experience using the tabs like you’ve shown, do you prefer the style you used on the 1/72 FOXTROT or the style you used on the type XXIII? I completely agree that the tab system you demonstrate is the best way to keep everything with the two halves aligned and registered. I’m just wanting to learn more about the different tab designs you used for your builds.

Thanks!

Nick

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Monahan Steam Models
            David,

In your experience using the tabs like you’ve shown, do you prefer the style you used on the 1/72 FOXTROT or the style you used on the type XXIII? I completely agree that the tab system you demonstrate is the best way to keep everything with the two halves aligned and registered. I’m just wanting to learn more about the different tab designs you used for your builds.

Thanks!

Nick
            Your model will not present too much of a variance in alignment between upper and lower hull, so a simple set of opposed tabs will work for you on that well engineered and produced 1/48 Type-7 kit. Follow what I did with the FOXTROT and you're golden. The capture-lips are only employed with a bad miss-match between hull halves.

Name:	001.JPG
Views:	402
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	156219Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0020.JPG
Views:	367
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	156220Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0024.JPG
Views:	383
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	156221Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0114.JPG
Views:	374
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	156222Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0123.JPG
Views:	377
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	156223

David
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
              Captain
              • Apr 2020

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

Your model will not present too much of a variance in alignment between upper and lower hull, so a simple set of opposed tabs will work for you on that well engineered and produced 1/48 Type-7 kit. Follow what I did with the FOXTROT and you're golden. The capture-lips are only employed with a bad miss-match between hull halves.

David
              Okay understood, thank you very much!

Really nice work on your FOXTROT. Clean fit, finish and detail.

As far as the Arkmodel type VII goes. The horizontal cuts to the parts went very well. There are only two small areas where the cut line briefly deviates from being straight but the kerf thickness removed from the cuts are a consistent width on all parts so they all fit back on top of one another very well.

The lower hull section at mid ships along the saddle tanks has spread outboard about a quarter of an inch total compared to the upper half. Other than that, the bow and stern sections haven’t moved much.

Just thinking out loud, when it comes time to add the staggered tabs to the upper and lower halves, it would be very easy to do so now while all these sections are still all loose and not glued together. Haven’t stared at it long enough since completing the cuts to know one way or another if it would make a difference adding the tabs now or after the parts are bonded together. Clearly time for a second cup of coffee this morning…

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
                Captain
                • Apr 2020

Started to experiment with the tabs on the bow sections.

Name:	CB000173-084F-47D6-A160-710BA5E19AB4.jpeg
Views:	370
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	156234

Used .040” X .4375” styrene strips cut to one inch lengths for the staggered tabs.

Name:	8806502B-911E-406F-A674-AEF865A7A5E7.jpeg
Views:	341
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	156236

Name:	622276CF-11CC-4577-8168-D720F62E1DA2.jpeg
Views:	350
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	156235

The parts snap together and keep everything looking good.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Bingo!.......
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
                    Captain
                    • Apr 2020

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
                    Bingo!.......
                    I like the staggered tab system. Works very well!

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
                      Captain
                      • Apr 2020

Originally posted by goshawk823
                      Wow. Something I hadn’t considered while building my Arkmodel. I like the idea of not having to deal with removal of that last section to try and access everything as well. I’m interested to see how you’re going to tab the hull and upper deck to keep alignment across the entire boat. I’ve been worrying about all the bits that could fall off while wrestling with the limited access, too.
                      Removing the last section works well but like you I was also concerned about knocking all the bits off the boat. I had a few other access concerns and final assembled finish preferences too which led to the horizontal cut decision. This build will feature all four forward torpedo tubes being functional and hopefully the single aft tube as well. The necessary connections to the WTC for the launch tubes was considered and designed for last year prior to the horizontal cut. The new hull parting line just makes this a lot easier.

After assembling and disassembling the hull multiple times as designed, it became clear the parts would eventually suffer a beating over time. Above that, the multiple parts all fitting together to form a final assembly meant there are a lot joints that would be showing both on the hull as well as the deck. I much rather prefer permanently bond these multiple components together to reduce the amount of parting joints to allow for a cleaner looking, much stronger and easier to deal with final result. I plan to add a photo etched deck and other P.E. bits to the build and it seems splitting the hull this way has way has more Pro’s than Con’s for what I would like to achieve.

Also the limber hole shape and sizing as well as the rivets on this model are way wrong. I may or may not end up correcting those too. I am a bit of a rivet counter but not just in a spectator sort of way. I’ll put my money where my mouth is and fix it. Once I see it, I can’t un-see it and it will bother me until it’s corrected.

Comment

• SubDude
                        Captain
                        • Dec 2019

Removing the last section works well but like you I was also concerned about knocking all the bits off the boat. I had a few other access concerns and final assembled finish preferences too which led to the horizontal cut decision. This build will feature all four forward torpedo tubes being functional and hopefully the single aft tube as well. The necessary connections to the WTC for the launch tubes was considered and designed for last year prior to the horizontal cut. The new hull parting line just makes this a lot easier.

After assembling and disassembling the hull multiple times as designed, it became clear the parts would eventually suffer a beating over time. Above that, the multiple parts all fitting together to form a final assembly meant there are a lot joints that would be showing both on the hull as well as the deck. I much rather prefer permanently bond these multiple components together to reduce the amount of parting joints to allow for a cleaner looking, much stronger and easier to deal with final result. I plan to add a photo etched deck and other P.E. bits to the build and it seems splitting the hull this way has way has more Pro’s than Con’s for what I would like to achieve.

Also the limber hole shape and sizing as well as the rivets on this model are way wrong. I may or may not end up correcting those too. I am a bit of a rivet counter but not just in a spectator sort of way. I’ll put my money where my mouth is and fix it. Once I see it, I can’t un-see it and it will bother me until it’s corrected.
                        Just don't let the rivet counting keep you from finishing the project. It is good to see you back at it Nick.

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
                          Captain
                          • Apr 2020

Originally posted by RCJetDude

Just don't let the rivet counting keep you from finishing the project. It is good to see you back at it Nick.
                          Thanks Steve! It has been good to be back at it the last few days! Needed a bit of a break from this project after the intense development phase of the torpedoes, launchers and WTC for this project. Finally deciding on splitting the hull horizontally has given me a renewed sense of interest in picking back up on this build.

Name:	11E5B48F-255D-440A-AD67-C1222790D0B6.jpeg
Views:	349
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	156258

Spent the day making the multiple above waterline sections all one solid bonded piece. It definitely feels a lot more robust now. A lot of time was taken test fitting the parts together and removing flash from the casting process to get everything to play nice together and lay flat. Will start adding more staggered tabs to the upper and lower hull halves next.

Sam,

Where are you at on your build presently? I know you’ve probably had to deal with some of the same fits I’ve been fighting too, but have you committed to bonding any of the hull sections together? I’m still exploring the horizontal split and tabbing with my build but wondering if you might be able to still do it on your build as well. That being said I will most likely bond the aft two lower hull sections together as there is just too much going on there to not. Same goes for the center section as it is less important to separate now with the easier access. The bow lower sections I may only bond one side to the center section and leave the other to be removed due to all the torpedo junk. Curious on your thoughts.

Comment

• redboat219
                            Admiral
                            • Dec 2008

Would doing the longitudinal cut to the 1/72 Type VII be a good idea?
                            Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
                              Captain
                              • Apr 2020

Originally posted by redboat219
                              Would doing the longitudinal cut to the 1/72 Type VII be a good idea?
                              Not sure. I have two of the Revell 1/72 Type VII’s I picked up more than a decade ago but haven’t touched them. David would know best if it was a good idea or not.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Not sure. I have two of the Revell 1/72 Type VII’s I picked up more than a decade ago but haven’t touched them. David would know best if it was a good idea or not.
                                Bad idea. Do it this way:

Name:	037.JPG
Views:	351
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	156269Click image for larger version

Name:	035.JPG
Views:	331
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	156270Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0191.JPG
Views:	311