Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Monahan Steam Models
    Captain
    • Apr 2020

The improved access to the lower hull with the waterline cut has made a huge difference. The WTC drops in much easier and the access to the forward and aft sections is much improved. Considering now a fully bonded together lower hull like the above waterline assembly. Will need to modify the forward torpedo tube unit if I do decide to go this route but it looks fairly simple to do.

The staggered tabbing worked well to keep the forward and aft sections aligned great. The area around the saddle tanks because of the angle the tabs had to be mounted at proved more of a hassle for getting the upper and lower halves to click into place, so I removed them. I will be making a different connection/alignment system for that section of the hull. Should be super simple and straightforward from what I’m seeing so far.

Click image for larger version

Name:	91C1C6E4-EDFD-47F8-A3FF-7B9241848986.jpeg
Views:	321
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	156309

One side note. The orange label plastruct solvent cement I’ve been using to bond the styrene strips to the hull is garbage in this application. Parts have very little bonded strength. The white label plastruct bonding cement to bond the the kit’s parts together has been working well.

Comment

• Bob Gato
      Captain
      • Feb 2019

We all know but I'm going to say it again.. Nick your true engineer I love the way everything in that boat can be accessed to be upgraded or replaced... So many builders in these threads suffer from "get it in the wateritis." They glue the boat together such that it'll never come apart again.. then when something breaks or stops working, and it will - they give up "too much work to fix," then in the dry dock it sits... on the shelf. Your threads are a pleasure to read man -BG

Comment

• neitosub
        Lieutenant Commander
        • Nov 2021

That WTC is sitting there nice and snug! Can't wait to see her in the water!

Nate

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
          Captain
          • Apr 2020

Originally posted by Bob Gato
          We all know but I'm going to say it again.. Nick your true engineer I love the way everything in that boat can be accessed to be upgraded or replaced... So many builders in these threads suffer from "get it in the wateritis." They glue the boat together such that it'll never come apart again.. then when something breaks or stops working, and it will - they give up "too much work to fix," then in the dry dock it sits... on the shelf. Your threads are a pleasure to read man -BG
          Thanks Bob!

Coming from you, your kind compliments mean a lot! Always thankful for your keen well thought out observations and helpful input. Enjoying your meticulous skilled build of the Atlantis. Would be awesome to see your work showed off more on here!

The access in the type VII is much better now. Although the way the original kit is designed is a great boat when built as originally intended, the assembly and access to the hull did not fit in with what I would like to see as a easy to use and serviceable design in the future like you have pointed out. The multiple assembled parts create fitment issues for a clean final finish and many chances of breaking or scratching parts during assembly or disassembly.

Before a build looks good it needs to be mechanically built good and be serviceable. The hull is really a fairing these days. Technology is always changing and upgrades will be inevitable. Like I’ve said in building classic cars, and other technologies, anything is possible, just pick the final shape you like and pour on the work an it will happen.

That being said, enough of us who have built things over the years can agree with what Bob has pointed out, things will break and will need to be repaired or replaced. Make your boat solid but repairable. Don’t lock yourself into a unrepairable design.

Just last week I resurrected a tug boat I built 30 years ago with my father to bring it into running another number of years of operation.

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
            Captain
            • Apr 2020

Originally posted by neitosub
            That WTC is sitting there nice and snug! Can't wait to see her in the water!

Nate
            Thanks Nate, I really enjoy the work you’ve done on your build recently. Keep up the great work!

Nick

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
              Captain
              • Apr 2020

Made a little bit more progress today. Focused attention on the aft section of the boat.

Name:	13FCA797-2034-43A0-8FD7-22CA95E8C273.jpeg
Views:	337
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	156469

Carefully and gradually enlarged the inner diameter of the areas in the moldings that carry the port and starboard stuffing boxes a few thousands at a time with a series of multi-flute straight cut readers. The 6mm OD nylon tubes provided in the kit were not going to cut it. Replaced these with a set of .250” OD brass tubes with 4mm ID oilite bushings that I made today.

Name:	D8A8DFFA-E9B0-40C7-8E66-EDD5B467F14D.jpeg
Views:	276
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	156470

A quick mock up fit and new stuffing boxes fit snug in the hull and while the shaft alignment is perfect and smooth.

Name:	9770FEE3-688E-4459-89C2-3184C21490C5.jpeg
Views:	271
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	156473

I started the design of the “in the wet running” brushless motor, stern planes and rudder servo mount months ago when I took a break from the project. Finished up the design and assembled it today.

Name:	EF5C838A-488D-4494-B838-7286EFA952E1.jpeg
Views:	275
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	156471

Here is it mounted in the hull. It was designed to fit into the profile of the kit’s original mounded bulkhead or frame shapes.

Name:	49CB3364-C60F-4881-8DEE-55F036E33477.jpeg
Views:	282
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	156472

Another view of the same mount assembly fitted into the hull.

The next bit of work will be trying something new with the motor to prop shaft connection. I will be using universal joints to make up for the alignment between the motor centerlines and the shaft centerlines but I’m thinking of designing a center-lined captured magnetic drive interface with the motors. Meaning the connection between the motors and the shafts would be coupled together and driven by magnets. The idea behind this is allowing for the props to be snagged or bound up while allowing for slippage of the motor to shaft connection with out overloading and tripping the main system fuse.

Besides that “what if” experimental nonsense, I’ve been focusing on making the rear dive plane hardware robust and compatible with bonding the two lower hull halves together. Think I finally have something with that. The last orders of business are the rudder mechanisms and last but not least the almighty stern torpedo tube.

Spent a bit of time on figuring out if it would be possible to modify the Arkmodel type VII hull to have a scale size functional aft torpedo tube and the answer is yes. It will require bonding the two hull halves together but the final result will not alter the external molded appearance. Designing a jig and tool for making this modification to the hull. We will see how it goes…. Not really worried

Comment

• gantu
                Commander
                • Apr 2009

Regards Gantu

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
                  Captain
                  • Apr 2020

Gantu,

Thank you sharing these photos. My prop shafts measure 44.9mm between centerline.

Regards

Nick

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
                    Captain
                    • Apr 2020

Jumped ahead a couple steps today to focus on the work that needed to be done to the hull for the eventual addition of the aft torpedo tube.

Name:	4E078C6A-31B4-437E-AF4E-2B8D4B030D06.jpeg
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	156520

Designed and printed the fixture that will guide the cutting bit that will be used to correct the stern area for the torpedo tube. The fixture uses the rudder shafts as well as tabs molded into the hull to properly set and hold everything centered and parallel to the waterline.

Name:	EA719335-37EA-4FB7-B84F-D384A9425FB9.jpeg
Views:	259
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	156529

Side view

Name:	BE4E14CE-D159-4CB9-B1DB-BCB28C58A3A6.jpeg
Views:	243
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	156521

Fixture with cutting tool guide shaft pressed into it.

Name:	B6259CE7-BAF6-4265-A050-A7E10C628F96.jpeg
Views:	256
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	156524

Scratch made 1/2” hole saw cutting tool I made for doing the job today.

Name:	75C25448-E566-42E4-9E7F-8A4545409D4B.jpeg
Views:	260
ID:	156523

The holes saw slides over the guide shaft inserted into the fixture.

Name:	BB6F8AAE-3467-41B7-9F20-27D00380C970.jpeg
Views:	255
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	156522

These molded in hull tabs for the fastener between the rudder supports will need to be cut out.

Name:	7266AB16-8448-4D32-8E58-960AAB35F4D3.jpeg
Views:	257
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	156525

Removal if the tabs is quick and easy with a razor saw.

Name:	FA09924D-6FE7-4AA8-9A59-F06CB2C51A1D.jpeg
Views:	264
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	156527

Once the hole saw has made the new stern tube opening cut, I wrap self adhesive 320grit sand paper around the cutter and by hand rotate the cutter down the length of the guide shaft to slightly open up the cut diameter.

Name:	1EA0E489-2A15-458C-81D9-BB9A0D9C79A0.jpeg
Views:	262
ID:	156526

Again all the work is done slowly by hand to ensure a nice precision job is done.

Name:	67860DA2-AC86-4B7D-931E-559B9A1E58B0.jpeg
Views:	267
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	156528

One of the torpedo tubes I use normally for testing new torpedo designs placed in the newly corrected stern launch tube opening.

Still need to design the aft launch tube components but they will be similar to the bow launch tubes I developed last year. That’s all I have for now.

Nick

Comment

• Ken_NJ
                      Captain
                      • Sep 2014

Nice clean job Nick! I like the precision of your work.

Comment

• goshawk823
                        Lieutenant Commander
                        • Oct 2010

Originally posted by Monahan Steam Models
                        Jumped ahead a couple steps today to focus on the work that needed to be done to the hull for the eventual addition of the aft torpedo tube.

Name:	4E078C6A-31B4-437E-AF4E-2B8D4B030D06.jpeg
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	156520

Designed and printed the fixture that will guide the cutting bit that will be used to correct the stern area for the torpedo tube. The fixture uses the rudder shafts as well as tabs molded into the hull to properly set and hold everything centered and parallel to the waterline.

Name:	EA719335-37EA-4FB7-B84F-D384A9425FB9.jpeg
Views:	259
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	156529

Side view

Name:	BE4E14CE-D159-4CB9-B1DB-BCB28C58A3A6.jpeg
Views:	243
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	156521

Fixture with cutting tool guide shaft pressed into it.

Name:	B6259CE7-BAF6-4265-A050-A7E10C628F96.jpeg
Views:	256
ID:	156524

Scratch made 1/2” hole saw cutting tool I made for doing the job today.

Name:	75C25448-E566-42E4-9E7F-8A4545409D4B.jpeg
Views:	260
ID:	156523

The holes saw slides over the guide shaft inserted into the fixture.

Name:	BB6F8AAE-3467-41B7-9F20-27D00380C970.jpeg
Views:	255
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	156522

These molded in hull tabs for the fastener between the rudder supports will need to be cut out.

Name:	7266AB16-8448-4D32-8E58-960AAB35F4D3.jpeg
Views:	257
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	156525

Removal if the tabs is quick and easy with a razor saw.

Name:	FA09924D-6FE7-4AA8-9A59-F06CB2C51A1D.jpeg
Views:	264
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	156527

Once the hole saw has made the new stern tube opening cut, I wrap self adhesive 320grit sand paper around the cutter and by hand rotate the cutter down the length of the guide shaft to slightly open up the cut diameter.

Name:	1EA0E489-2A15-458C-81D9-BB9A0D9C79A0.jpeg
Views:	262
ID:	156526

Again all the work is done slowly by hand to ensure a nice precision job is done.

Name:	67860DA2-AC86-4B7D-931E-559B9A1E58B0.jpeg
Views:	267
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	156528

One of the torpedo tubes I use normally for testing new torpedo designs placed in the newly corrected stern launch tube opening.

Still need to design the aft launch tube components but they will be similar to the bow launch tubes I developed last year. That’s all I have for now.

Nick
                        Very slick. I have very little clearance for the control linkages for the rudders and planes in my install. I can't even fit the kit supplied plastic part that is the rear tube due to the space needed for the rudders and planes. Can't wait to see how you fit all that in that space back there.

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
                          Captain
                          • Apr 2020

Originally posted by Ken_NJ
                          Nice clean job Nick! I like the precision of your work.
                          Thanks Ken! Much appreciated. I love the work you’ve done on your Marlin!

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
                            Captain
                            • Apr 2020

Originally posted by goshawk823

Very slick. I have very little clearance for the control linkages for the rudders and planes in my install. I can't even fit the kit supplied plastic part that is the rear tube due to the space needed for the rudders and planes. Can't wait to see how you fit all that in that space back there.
                            Thank you!

Yep, there is very little room back there like you said! At the moment in the build, I am less concerned about the rudder control linkages. The rear dive plane linkage has been the main focus. With the addition of the aft tube, I have less vertical room for the dive plane control linkage. I have worked out a plan that I believe will work out well but want to study it a bit more before going with it. Getting the aft tube in place first will allow me to see what room I have to work with.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                              • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Monahan Steam Models

Thank you!

Yep, there is very little room back there like you said! At the moment in the build, I am less concerned about the rudder control linkages. The rear dive plane linkage has been the main focus. With the addition of the aft tube, I have less vertical room for the dive plane control linkage. I have worked out a plan that I believe will work out well but want to study it a bit more before going with it. Getting the aft tube in place first will allow me to see what room I have to work with.
                              bevel gears.
                              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
                                Captain
                                • Apr 2020

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

bevel gears.
                                Agreed. Gears have been on the table as an option. Mechanical stuff doesn’t scare me in the least bit. The good news is, there’s lots of options

Comment

Working...