Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and expectations

Hello, and welcome to the forums at the Nautilus Drydocks, formerly Sub-driver.com!

We welcome anyone with a passion for submarines and a desire to learn and share knowledge about this fascinating hobby. Use of these forums indicates your intention to abide by our code of conduct:


1. No spam. All automated messages, advertisements, and links to competitor websites will be deleted immediately.

2. Please post in relevant sub-forums only. Messages posted in the wrong topic area will be removed and placed in the correct sub-forum by moderators.

3. Respect other users. No flaming or abusing fellow forum members. Users who continue to post inflammatory, abusive comments will be deleted from the forum after or without a warning.

4. No threats or harassment of other users will be tolerated. Any instance of threatening or harassing behavior is grounds for deletion from the forums.

5. No profanity or pornography is allowed. Posts containing adult material will be deleted.

6. No re-posting of copyrighted materials or other illegal content is allowed. Any posts containing illegal content or copyrighted materials will be deleted.
See more
See less

Engel Type IXD2 First commission build

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Engel Type IXD2 First commission build

    I am personally not as much into the WWII Era U-boats as I am into the more modern subs but I decided to take on my first ever commission to build a German Type IX. It is the 1/45th Engel kit and belongs to David Ruiz. So far I have been working on cutting the vast number of vent holes in the hull, fabricating the optional sail for a late D2 version and making new stanchions for all of the railing. Basically just getting a feel for how it will go together. While I am working on this, David has been busy resin printing new guns, ammo drums and other bits and pieces for the sail. Overall it is a nice kit and the more I look at it the more I like it. Can't believe I just said that. In any event, here are some pics so far. I am not done working on the vents as they are basically just roughed in at this point. If all goes well I hope to have it done for SubFest.

    Click image for larger version  Name:	20210709_115013.jpg Views:	0 Size:	80.9 KB ID:	151273
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20210709_115345.jpg Views:	0 Size:	75.5 KB ID:	151276

    Click image for larger version  Name:	20210707_125105.jpg Views:	0 Size:	55.5 KB ID:	151274
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20210702_212138.jpg Views:	0 Size:	71.7 KB ID:	151275

  • #2
    Awesome! Can’t wait to see the progress.

    Comment


    • #3
      Nice work. How did you cut the vent holes? What tool?

      Comment


      • #4
        Looks Fantastic so far. I love the Engel kits. really nice quality. Funny how some people like WWII and earlier and some like post war, Seems sort of un-common for someone to be into both but judging from your background everyone likes the Disney Nautilus!!

        Jason

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by tifosi12 View Post
          Nice work. How did you cut the vent holes? What tool?
          This little set of bits that I got off of Amazon in my Dremel. They have been one of the best things I have bought. So useful for so many things. I am just doing the vents freehand. Tried a jig but found freehand easier.

          Click image for larger version

Name:	SmartSelect_20210711-222507_Amazon Shopping.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	151353

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Schmitty1944 View Post
            Looks Fantastic so far. I love the Engel kits. really nice quality. Funny how some people like WWII and earlier and some like post war, Seems sort of un-common for someone to be into both but judging from your background everyone likes the Disney Nautilus!!

            Jason
            The Nautilus is my "baby". It is my favorite. I love subs in general but still prefer the post war boats. I know they lack the detail of the WWII boats but that is just me. Some of my friends think the modern subs are too plain. To each their own...

            Comment


            • #7
              Tonight I soldered together one of the hull hand rails. It turned out pretty good. Work continues on the sail. Soon I should have the hand rail on it.

              Click image for larger version

Name:	Image_1626057495.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	151356
              Click image for larger version

Name:	20210711_191845_copy_2016x1512.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	151357

              Comment


              • #8
                I also had to make a change to the sail as the few pictures available of these particular Type IXD2 boats appear to show an upper deck that is asymmetrical.

                Click image for larger version

Name:	SmartSelect_20210711-215433_Messenger.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	151359
                A few strategic cuts and some extra styrene and it is all better now.

                Click image for larger version

Name:	20210712_020208.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	151360
                Click image for larger version

Name:	20210712_020224.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	151361 As compared to what it was.

                Click image for larger version

Name:	20210702_212138.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	151362

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by RCJetDude View Post

                  This little set of bits that I got off of Amazon in my Dremel. They have been one of the best things I have bought. So useful for so many things. I am just doing the vents freehand. Tried a jig but found freehand easier.
                  Thanks, I'll have to get a set of those too. I used my Dremel tool for the vents as well but didn't have these bits.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by RCJetDude View Post

                    I love subs in general but still prefer the post war boats. I know they lack the detail of the WWII boats but that is just me. Some of my friends think the modern subs are too plain. To each their own...
                    Yeah, each his own. WW2 it is for me. For the historical relevance as well as for the looks. I'm thinking more like some of your friends regarding modern boats.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Nice work as usual Steve! You are a very skilled craftsman for sure!

                      Thanks for taking the time to post up your work!

                      Rob
                      "Firemen can stand the heat"

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Nice job. I love that detail with the asymmetrical railing and deck. Well worth the effort.

                        Jason

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Got the upper deck rail built for the sail as well as the second rail for the hull deck. I built wooden jigs to hold the stanchions while I soldered them up which worked well but it was still a PITA! I am just glad they have turned out as good as they have so far. The sail lower deck rail is next. Note: I have not yet mounted the hull rails. They are just sitting on the hull in the last photo.

                          Click image for larger version

Name:	20210714_214207_copy_2016x1512.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	151430
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	20210714_232503_copy_2016x1512.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	151431
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	20210714_232518_copy_2016x1512.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	151432
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	20210714_232708_copy_2016x1512.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	151433
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	20210714_233135_copy_2016x1512.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	151434

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by RCJetDude View Post
                            Got the upper deck rail built for the sail as well as the second rail for the hull deck. I built wooden jigs to hold the stanchions while I soldered them up which worked well but it was still a PITA! I am just glad they have turned out as good as they have so far. The sail lower deck rail is next. Note: I have not yet mounted the hull rails. They are just sitting on the hull in the last photo.

                            Click image for larger version

Name:	20210714_214207_copy_2016x1512.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	151430
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	20210714_232503_copy_2016x1512.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	151431
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	20210714_232518_copy_2016x1512.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	151432
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	20210714_232708_copy_2016x1512.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	151433
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	20210714_233135_copy_2016x1512.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	151434
                            Liking your brass work Steve! Very well done!

                            Rob
                            "Firemen can stand the heat"

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by rwtdiver View Post

                              Liking your brass work Steve! Very well done!

                              Rob
                              "Firemen can stand the heat"
                              Thanks Rob! It's possibly one of the more tedious parts of the build. The stanchions that came in the kit were intended to secure straight down through the deck but they mount on the side on a type IX so I had to remake every one from scratch. If I can sort out the sail lower deck rail with the hand rail that goes around the sail I will be home free.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X