X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • coryhenry
    Lieutenant Commander
    • Jul 2020

1/96th Kilo blowing fuses at depth

Strange phenomenon that I can't seem to trace. The kilo runs fine on surface and 3 ft under but when it hits 5-6 ft it blows a fuse. I can't imagine the pressure causing that much more drag on the prop. Any thoughts?
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by coryhenry
    Strange phenomenon that I can't seem to trace. The kilo runs fine on surface and 3 ft under but when it hits 5-6 ft it blows a fuse. I can't imagine the pressure causing that much more drag on the prop. Any thoughts?
    Pressure is deranging the running gear at a bearing or coupler, increasing the torque load. There is relative motion between your motor-bulkhead and the rest of the running gear.
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• coryhenry
      Lieutenant Commander
      • Jul 2020

So if this is the cause I should be able to stiffen up the drivetrain mounts and relative motion and stop the friction? Fiberglass strips to stiffen?

Comment

• redboat219
        Admiral
        • Dec 2008

Would increase outside pressure cause the shaft seal lip to tighten up too much against the shaft?
        Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• RCSubGuy
          Welcome to my underwater realm!
          • Aug 2009

If it's running cup seals, that could be, but at those shallow depths (relatively speaking) I can't see the difference being considerable. More likely Dave's thought. Pressure is distorting things, causing binding somewhere.

Comment

Working...