Scratch Build project SM U-23 Class World war one U-boote. Zero Bubble model design.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DrSchmidt
    Captain
    • Apr 2014

You are dealing with nothing, you are just commenting like I do. David is dealing with his built, and he can build whatever he wants. Top rudder, blunt superstructure, dive plane guards the shape he wants. All fine to me. Btw, what you think are rectangular dive plane guards are in my opionon outlines for bigger dive planes. David is working of the same plans that I have and they show a generalized version of the Type from U-19 to 56. All the same basic deisgn but with lots of alterations (like removed top rudders). The dive planes were enlarged because they were so ineffective as they are positioned in front of the props and not behind them. Same on my SM U-1 or Bernhard Wenzel's SM U-9.

Comment

• JHapprich
      Captain
      • Oct 2017

At ease, Mr., for i did not intend to put that matter on a personal level nor do i - with all appropriate respect - appreciate you lecturing me.

Beeing usually not that serious about forum chatting , I at this point feel obliged to give a crystal-clear commentary defining my intention:

I am refering to David's ongoning request for input on the U-23 and sisters of that specific series of U-boats. It is my experience that plans-especially on such a rarely documented subject-are often different from the actual "real" thing. Now the photographs do not lie, pennant numbers neither. On the contrary, what we cannot see is open for qualified guessing.

Once again:

The thread is about U-23. The pictures show the knife stern with a top rudder. One cannot deny that.

Done.

Your argumentation suggests one may also call a VII A an VII C on the base of beeing Type VII.

I it not my responsibility to make use of that knowledge or leave it as-is.

Furthermore, by pointing out the existance of details i deem vital to contributing to a scale model i have every right to "speak" out freely as long as demanded and welcomed just like you did by directing attention to the stern transition. Until this very moment, i experienced the recent conversation beeing a discussion of producing character, not a contest.

I fail to see your justification in critizising my usage of the term "to deal with something". Both our native language is not English.

I do not use google translate, do you?

This very model is the brainchild of David Hughes and he commands the outcome of his project. His critizism and opinion towards my writing is the only force to be acknowledged here, certainly not yours or mine.Agreed.

Jörg
      Last edited by JHapprich; 08-16-2021, 05:01 AM.

Comment

• Davidh
        Captain
        • Nov 2010

Lads!

Please don't argue over my U-boat. I have asked for feedback and both of you have given valuable feedback that I appreciate. You have both convinced me to change the rear end. It is advice I am grateful for. It has come at a good time in proceedings. I knew that when I started this project there would be lots of question marks. I have a habit of picking rare and obscure projects. I am coming to the realization that unless I get clear pics of U 23 then I will only get drawings that cover a range of U -Boats and not ones specific to U-23. As a result I will inevitably misinterpret details in drawings. The drawings cover such a wide range of boats that variations are going to occur. Being able to narrow down to U-23 is hard.

So to cover as many possibilities I will create extra parts. I will create the Rudder horn to fit over the tiller and mark on the raised deck side the exit points for the push rods. I will then also create a upper rudder. Customers can fit either, or both as maybe seen in the lower image. Awesome image by the way...

Click image for larger version

Name:	U-boat sterns at dock annotation..jpg
Views:	392
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	152487

I really like that this pic just shows a hint of the stern tubes just like my other pic. I will never get this boat absolutely right. I just want to create something that looks realistic on the water and gives customers another choice rather than just another type VIIC.

Dave H

Thanks

Comment

• Davidh
          Captain
          • Nov 2010

Hello all,

I've done some drastic work on the stern after some solid feedback from the resident German's among us. Who am I to argue?, an Aussie building a German boat! Outrageous.. However, more on that later. Small bits for now.

I have gone back to looking at the Torpedo tubes and thinking about producing the tube doors. I decided that I would produce a small part that could simply be glued on the front of the round flat section at the front of the tube. So I decided to start be getting on the lathe and machining up some shallow round Brass bar. Brass is my favourite material to turn. I am a bit scared of steel. Brass also looks nice. So I measured the inside diameter of the tube area and then turned down a thin section of about 2 mm and then parted off. I did that twice, checking for fit within the tube entrance.

Name:	IMG-6300.JPG
Views:	383
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	152602

After making both these parts I then cut out some small pieces of styrene to make the supports for the spring mechanism. Then I took as very small piece of round dowel to simulate the spring mechanism that sits in the middle. Unfortunately I don't have a photo here. As far as I am aware the hinge is inwards and the door opens inwards.

Name:	IMG-6299.JPG
Views:	330
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	152603

These will simply be glued to the front of the tubes on the kit. I then turned back to a feature that I had been deliberating over for a while. There is evidence to indicate that the stern and forward planes have slight bulges where the pivot shafts run along their width. From pics of other boats that I have seen and also having details like this featured on the vertical rudder I decided to recreate the bulge along the width of the planes where the shaft enter. I measured this position although It already coincides with where the shaft hole is. I then cuts some very fine slivers of balsa and glued them along the lines laid down. I couldn't find any dowel or material with a small enough radius that I could easily cut to do the job. So balsa and some initially fine sandpaper would see the balsa turn to the round profile that It would need to be.

Name:	IMG-6331.JPG
Views:	347
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	152604

Filler and sanding. The bulge will certainly add character and I would expect the planes to look like this from a boat of the early twentieth century. I would be interested to know if the designers of these early U-boats did tank testing. It would be really interesting to know what the hydrodynamic thinking behind these designs was.

Name:	IMG-6333.JPG
Views:	337
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	152605

Then after lots of sanding and filling a shot of the blue spray filler. Then more sanding...

Name:	IMG-6334.JPG
Views:	360
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	152606

After this I decided to work on some fittings that appear on the conning tower. There is what looks like a 'helm' a steering wheel for the officer on the conning deck. I decided that this would once again be made using a small brass shaft turned on the lathe. I then carved a small round wheel to be attached the side of the brass shaft and then drilled a small recess in the top forward section of the conning deck to place this helm in just behind the front of the steel and fabric frame covers.

Name:	IMG-6362.JPG
Views:	324
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	152607

Some styrene straps around the side to increase the thickness at points. After this I repeated the process for the vertical pole section that extends from the forward lower tower section up till almost the deck. I have no idea what it is but it is on the drawings. Can someone illuminate? Looks cool..

Name:	IMG-6372.JPG
Views:	335
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	152608

David H

Comment

• JHapprich
            Captain
            • Oct 2017

Hi dave, that could be a compass daughter. I will see to send some helm post pictures of the conning

Comment

• Davidh
              Captain
              • Nov 2010

Hello all,

Still more small appendages. A couple of weeks ago i posted some pics showing all the stern pieces in position. These included the hydroplane guards. Like most things on this class of boat, trying to work out exact shape and geometry has been a challenge, as what has been made abundantly clear to me is just how much variation there has been in the design over the successive boats. I am at a stage of creating to the masters where I have to consider what detail to put on the hull from here on. I could put a lot more scribing work into creating a set of hull ballast tank vents along the bottom of the boat ,but I simply don't know where they are located and how much variation could there be across the entire range of boats in this class. The plans simply don't give the information and there are almost no photos showing clearly the very underside of these boats. Oh, to have the documentation that comes with the Type 7C.

Anyway, the drawings do show guards. These guards are curved rails around the front of the forward and stern planes and I believe serve two purposes. One is to protect the planes from damage from piers when alongside. The other I guess, is to ride the mine cables around the outside of the plane and not get stuck on a shaft and seriously end badly for the crew. The drawings show a generic shape. I decided to make sure that the clearance would be acceptable for both so created a set of guards for both the front and then back.

Name:	IMG-6375.JPG
Views:	347
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	152781

So I took a piece of brass 2.3mm rod and placed it in the lathe. Tapered am mm in down to about 1mm. This is tricky as it wants to deflect when the tool goes in. If you push to hard it will simply bend and go wacky on you. Then just a fine file and a little more smoothing down. This is to allow the point to sit in the tip hole at the outside shaft exit. The shaft connecting the two sides wont go all the way through. I wont be making the forward planes move. Never have. I then take some pliers and then bend the two bends making sure that when I do this I start the bend at the right point and don't need to bend back otherwise it will simply snap off.

Name:	IMG-6376.JPG
Views:	315
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	152782

The stern plane guard has a little more room forward. The arm length is less than the front at the curve of the hull is moving inwards as opposed to the front where it is moving outwards. The inner section of the plane is angled outward as this will allow the plane to move up against the curve of the upper hull above it.

I have no information on where the guards have a airfoil type profile to their root sections. This is very clear on WW2 German Uboats. Clearly documented on the Type 7C but unsure or WW1 boats. I decided to go with profiles anyway along the trailing edge of the guards.

Name:	IMG-6380.JPG
Views:	304
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	152783

To do this I took some really small bits of Renshape and glued them to the inner surfaces of the guards. Them sanding and some filler. More sanding and some more filler and....

Name:	IMG-6411.JPG
Views:	307
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	152784

The line is to mark out the distance to the small divitt that will indicate where the guard is to sit forward of the plane. The gouge beneath is the location of the shaft exit point that will be covered over by an exit gland.

Name:	IMG-6415.JPG
Views:	323
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	152785

The next step is to work out how the rudder shaft is held. The lower half will be made using a hard shell glass mold. These molds aren't really the best for fine detail and small parts. Also because they are rigid then getting parts out could be seriously difficult. Draft angles and such. The small cut out are as seen above by the Rudder where the shaft is exposed by the square cut out begs for a small extension of the extreme end of the keel to house a small bracket to hold the rudder shaft. Mold this would be near impossible with F'glass. So I intend on cutting out a rectangular section along the bottom and then casting a small rectangular block with a hole in one end. This block will have the brass rod pushed through and then glued in the bottom back end of the keel to secure the rudder.

Name:	IMG-6401.JPG
Views:	300
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	152786

Name:	IMG-6403.JPG
Views:	283
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	152787

Name:	IMG-6406.JPG
Views:	284
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	152788

The Saga continues next week....

David H

Comment

• Davidh
                Captain
                • Nov 2010

Hello all,

For quite a while I have kept the stern raised middle deck section broad without much taper. I had in the back of my mind been thinking about tapering it and at the same time not being sure how to interpret the drawings. Did the stern raised deck taper very sharply like is the case with the U9 class. My lack of pointy rear end on the U-23 class ended up causing a bit of a stoush with the previously mentioned German members. Friction over an Australia U-boat. Well pretty quickly it became clear that the stern was going to have to be quite tapered. Time to break out the hacksaw, files and sandpaper.

Name:	IMG-6235.JPG
Views:	320
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	153019

First thing to do was to cut two angled cuts emanating from the center back and finishing at the same point either side further forward. I would then have to take the hacksaw and cut horizontally along the base of the deck and file down smooth the transition point.

Name:	IMG_6533.JPG
Views:	281
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	153020

As I was cutting I would be breaking through a combination of materials such as Balsa, Renshape, Expandable foam and filler. This means that as you are cutting and filing you can tear away at the material at different rates if you are not careful. I had to move between various tools and grades of sandpaper.

Name:	IMG_6535.JPG
Views:	275
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	153021

I decided once again that i would use Renshape replacement strips in the back end. So to accommodate their thickness I had to cut back a little further below the raised deck and make sure that the expanding foam wouldn't get in the way of the new strips. The main problem that I had was that the old profile created an inner curve and stop to the material behind. You can clearly see the outline of where the vertical sheet sat and behind this was just void. This would mean the need for some extra filler and material placed in their. So I got some small bits or Renshape and blocked them in and the rest would be filler.

Name:	IMG_6537.JPG
Views:	285
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	153022

Name:	IMG_6538.JPG
Views:	268
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	153023

Below is the scrubbed up and looking a little more respectable back end. Still more fine tuning with the pointy bit but in the meantime I thought I would also do a write up over the next point of contention amongst the German contingent. Rear upper rudders.

Name:	IMG_6550.JPG
Views:	272
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	153024

I have decided to go with two options for this kit. I will make an upper rudder for those who wish to give the boat a rearward upper rudder and pushrod connections for those who don't. Jorg even managed to find me a photo that showed one of the U-boats had the best of both worlds. Push rod connection and rudder over the top. Way to Go! I am not going to offer that combination, sorry.

Name:	U-boat sterns at dock jorg.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	153025

So I made another rudder out of Renshape. I don't have any really clear photos of rudders on the U23 class, there are only some grainy ones. So I am speculating.

Name:	IMG_6541.JPG
Views:	279
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	153026

More next week.

Dave

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                  • Aug 2008

When I train someone in the Craft, the first thing I tell them is to be contemptuous of the project: It is not your master, you are the master. Take whatever measures, ruthlessly, to put right an error.

Your above example of the stern correction is a shining example of courageous model building. Slash away, Jack! You're my kind of model-builder.

Yes, your finished product is still crude looking and needs much refinement to be classified as 'museum quality', but you have, over the years, embraced so many new techniques and tackled so many tough projects, that eventually you will be able to dedicate yourself to becoming proficient at refinement of the completed display.

You are model-builder in the classic sense.

Go get 'em Tiger!

Your fan, David
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Davidh
                    Captain
                    • Nov 2010

Thanks David,

Its nice to get feedback and I appreciate the comments.

Last week i hacked away at the stern upper deck section and majorly tapered it to comply with what everybody is telling me it should look like and is suggested on the drawings. I am happier with how it looks and know that It fits in with the design principles of the time. The taper has seen some more filling and sanding and is looking alot smoother now. It then started looking at the creation of the stern upper rudder for those so inclined because with the U-23 class its not totally certain that it had a top rudder. Photos certainly suggest it but this is a class of boats that theoretically extend as far as U-41 so i thought I would add some flexibility to the design.

The next step is creating the push rod mechanism for the rudder if you don't go with the top rudder. This detial is best shown by the photo that i have of the U-39's rear end. You can clearly see the upper push rod connections in a 'hub' like structure. For want of a better term it looks like a servo horn with some solid looking push rods either side. I have seen several photos showing this design. As mentioned in a previous post I am intrigued as to why its on the outside. Did it need regular maintenance? Is could be more exposed to battle damage..

I created the push rod hub by turning up a really tiny piece of Renshape. I turned it down to about 5 mm. I then drilled a 2 mm hole through the center. I parted it off and gave it a delicate sanding as this is a really small part. I then took a piece of the Renshape strip that I had and used the mill to shave off a couple of mms. I then cut it to size to create the flat plate section that effectively makes the horns either side.

Name:	IMG-6555.JPG
Views:	322
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	153312

I then turned up an even smaller diameter piece and drilled an even smaller hole for the outside push rod supports.

Name:	IMG-6557.JPG
Views:	247
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	153313

Then some spray putty and some really fine filing.

Name:	IMG-6558.JPG
Views:	318
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	153314

I then see how they ft over where the top of the rudder shaft is positioned. I then need to work out the exit points into the pointy stern raised deck section. I am not going to make the push rods, that will have to be down to the customer. The Calipers shown the distance needed between the push rod movements. It is about 17 mm from centers. The photos that I have shown push rod exits either side as a wide tube exiting either side of the rear raised stern section inside a rectangular plate with rounded ends. I will be making the push rod exit pieces, tiny as they are.

Name:	IMG-6562.JPG
Views:	267
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	153315

The exit tubes will have to be a bit wider than the shaft rods as like a servo push rod you have radial movement not purely linear so there will be some sideways movement that needs to be catered for. First thing that I do it take some of the tube of the Renshape that I turned up for the outer push rod supports and parted them off. This was soo tiny I parted off with a Stanley knife. I then take a section of flat strip and then mill the slot for the tube to be glued in at a tangent.

Name:	IMG-6563.JPG
Views:	259
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	153316

Once this is done I then need to cut the profile after checking for the size and fit of the tube.

Name:	IMG-6564.JPG
Views:	258
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	153317

I then need to carve a groove for the push rod as it will run inside the surface of what would have been the side of the deck. I have run the file right through to give as much flexibility to the pushrod exits and allow that radial movement. I then cut out the profile and then glue the tube in at the right angle.

Name:	pushrods and hair..jpg
Views:	257
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	153318

I then repeat the exercise with the other side by making two. I will be scribing the outline of the part on the side of the deck. If a customer wants to do the rudder they simply fill in the scribed outline. If not then the drill or mill out this section and place the push rod exits in an attached their own push rods that are wither working or dummy.

Name:	IMG-6570.JPG
Views:	260
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	153319

The above photo of U 31 also shows the outline of the lapped metal plate outline around the torpedo tubes. I have been meaning for some time to address this and give it some detail. So i took some styrene and then cut some very fine strips. I then wrapped then around the shape to create a 'v' shaped profile.

Name:	IMG-6572.JPG
Views:	260
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	153320

Name:	IMG-6576.JPG
Views:	267
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	153321

Nice little bit of Styrene trim on the side. The Hull is approaching being ready for mold making and tooling. So much fine checking filling and sanding, filling and sanding....

More next week.

David H

Comment

• JHapprich
                      Captain
                      • Oct 2017

Wow, thats really small! You could have used brass instead.

New 3D-Printer?

Comment

• Davidh
                        Captain
                        • Nov 2010

Hi Jorg,

I could have but I really like using Renshape. I had company in the workshop today, a big fat Bluey. ( Bluetongue lizard.) This one was big, about 300mm long.

Name:	A89B76C5-1A45-4D0E-B3CF-B1CF1EA195F4.jpeg
Views:	261
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	153329

Comment

• JHapprich
                          Captain
                          • Oct 2017

Nice pet! What's it's name? Doe's it like subs,too?

Last edited by JHapprich; 09-12-2021, 02:53 PM.

Comment

• Davidh
                            Captain
                            • Nov 2010

Hello Jorg and all,

I haven'y named him yet as I haven't seen him in a while unlike the Kookaburra that parks his but on our back Verandah. He often laughs with his mates over something that's not funny...

Name:	IMG_6529.JPG
Views:	235
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	153537

Anyway, getting back to the U-23.

So the hull is mostly done, I have just been doing the odd little bit of filler and sanding here and there and some coats of primer just to show up the odd little imperfection that needs my attention. I laid down some styrene strip that emulated a rim that runs along the gunwhale of the hull. I will have to be careful when I mount the hull on the splitter board that I don't chip the styrene off. I also had to replace some last minute access plates on the hull to make sure that I go the full number according to the drawings. Lots of fine imperfections to chase up.

Name:	IMG_6577.JPG
Views:	229
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	153538

In the meantime It is time to start with the parts / appendage molds. I have the biggest number of appendage parts of any kit I have produced. I will need to create approx 4-5 molds. Plus the molds for the screws and a large one for the conning tower. That should be fun. I have asked HWSNBN for his opinion on how to mold this up as I wanted to do a polyurethane mold unlike my previous ones that have been glass lay ups. I decided to start first with the hydroplanes. The forward and stern hydroplanes look similar but have slightly differently geometries.

Name:	IMG_6442.JPG
Views:	208
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	153539

in my usual style I like to create a rectangular box. I could do what David does and wraps them in a round container made of tape with a huge central sprue and carve out the vents later. I guess whilst I am interested in doing new things and trying new techniques I often in some procedures like to stick to what I know works. Even though this box is a lot more work. I like it... Here you see the forward guard and both forward and stern planes. The outlines for the vents and also the sprue funnel. Next step play doh...

Name:	IMG_6464.JPG
Views:	216
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	153540

Recycled side pieces of MDF and plywood screwed onto the base. Vents of paper clip and sprues of Balsa strip and Play Doh.. Pour in the silicon. I have chosen Red as my colour for this job. Once cured you then pull the silicon off the base, remove the parts and rub some lanolin in as a release agent and then pay up the parts and sprue and Ply-Doh again and repeat the process for the second half.

Name:	IMG_6480.JPG
Views:	211
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	153541

I am quite happy with how this half has turned out. I will re groove the air vents and widen the sprues as needed.

Name:	IMG_6492.JPG
Views:	198
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	153542

Second half of the mold has been made and the first pour of urethane and pressure pot treatment. First parts out of the mold. I will have to cut some more air vents off the top of the third plane and the side of the second plane as their was air trapped or maybe it thickened a bit too quickly in this spot.

Name:	IMG_6493.JPG
Views:	204
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	153543

I cut a few more air vents and then the problem disappeared. These planes have since come out looking complete and without air bubbles. I will take on the challenge next, of making the molds for the steel railing and canvas cover. That is going to be fun...

David H

Comment

• rwtdiver
                              Vice Admiral
                              • Feb 2019

David,

I am really enjoying your sub build! But I also enjoy seeing your animal friends! (Bluey & the Kockaburra) Keep the photos coming! The Kockaburra sure has his eyes on you!

Rob
                              "Firemen can stand the heat"

Comment

• Davidh
                                Captain
                                • Nov 2010

Thanks Rob,

I haven't seen the Kookaburra for a while. For the moment it has been magpies swooping everyone because its nesting season. I had a dogfight last week with one over the slope at my local beach, I should have been flying my faster glider.

Anyway back to U-23.

So the first mold has been done and with the creation of some extra air vents cut into the silicon, a re-pour of the resin has produced parts with air bubbles of gaps. Really happy with how they have turned out. The Hydroplane guards look really thin however the resin has stiffened and they are rigid enough. The next mold that I decided to tackle is one that I am most unsure about. The Upper conning tower frame of these early U-boats featured a Steel frame railing. This railing was either open as was the case with submerging and for surface running there was a canvas fabric covering that was attached to the railing for protection of the crews on the surface in bad weather. Previously I wanted to re create the sagged fabric look of the canvas. I did this with styrene heated and fitted over a brass frame. Now I was to create the moulds to recreate the texture and the sagged effect of the fabric as it is wrapped around the frame. The below photo of U9 clearly shows the canvas wrapped over the steel frame.

Name:	conning tower U-9.JPG
Views:	201
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	153756

I had spent a bit of time looking at how I would create the molds for this. My main concerns were the irregular shape of the parts and the really thin wall of the fabric/ styrene. I was concerned that the wall thickness being so thin that the silicon mold sides may press down and touch as the gap between then two surfaces is down to about 1 mm. I then had to work out how I would position the frame on the usual wooden base board that I use to create my box molds.

Name:	IMG_6495.JPG
Views:	237
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	153748

Previously almost all of my parts are relatively flat and don't curve and deviate from a central plane. The curve of the railing frame pieces throws this out. I decided to create sections at either end where the curve dips down below the usual plane that I work with. As a result I then carved down sections on either side to accommodate the wrap around. The raised bulge in the centre will be covered by large amounts of Play doh.

Name:	IMG_6497.JPG
Views:	185
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	153749

So I use the milling machine to create the two rectangular sections at either end. I have put a tilt on the piece so that the air bubbles will rise up the upper rim of the part and out through an air vent.

Name:	IMG_6503.JPG
Views:	204
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	153750

Register points have been drilled down and the outline in pink shows the limit of the Play Doh that will rise to meet the underside of the frame part. Air vents are also shown. The air vents will be the usual paper clip wires that will run down from the top and up the sides of the Play Doh.

Name:	IMG_6505.JPG
Views:	189
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	153751

I have made sure that the pouring Sprue meets the front top of the frame and that it will start at a lower point on the plane. The Play Doh angles down at the front of the frame. The first part mold process often plays havoc with the paper clip air vents. I often try to keep them in place but often they come out and I press some lanolin to the groove to act as a release agent and not allow silicon to not fill the void. I now strip the base down and place the masters inside the mold and repeat the process. I don't need to use the Play- Doh anymore. So far so good.

Name:	IMG_6512.JPG
Views:	192
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	153752

Rub the silicon mold with Lanolin and make sure that the parts are well pressed down inside the first half.

Name:	IMG_6521.JPG
Views:	187
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	153753

The completed two part mold. Happy with how its turned out. The big test will be whether the small distance between the two fabric surfaces and a small amount of pressure could make the two halves touch at the middle between the squares of the frame making the fabric appear to have holes in it. I recently bought a batch of urethane resin and it turned out to be colour less and almost transparent. I then found some metallic pigment and added some to the mix. Wasn't enough to give it full colour and i think the parts will come out skin coloured. Oh well...

Name:	IMG_6525.JPG
Views:	206
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	153754

I like the wrinkled texture of the front top canvas panel on the starboard side. I f it wasn't Fabric that I was simulating, I would be annoyed. I Think these parts have turned out really well. I have since done some more with grey resin and they look great.

Name:	IMG_6526.JPG
Views:	184
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	153755

Cut out the small little blobs and some slight flashing other wise, parts I am happy with.

David H

Comment

Working...