X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TINFISH
    Lieutenant
    • Apr 2019

Upholder Refit....second try

Ok, I am trying again with this posting pics thing. I revised my previous post but nothing ever happened so here we go....

Click image for larger version

Name:	BOB UPHOLDER RT SIDE.jpg
Views:	621
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	144630Click image for larger version

Name:	BOB UPHOLDER FRT LFT.jpg
Views:	526
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	144639
    This is pretty much how the boat looked as I received it. Although the interior saddle parts were in need of refitting and the new WTC will have a different footprint.

Name:	20201004_222105.jpg
Views:	516
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	144632
    Since Bob is making room in the WTC there should be ample room for forward torpedo's. I cut out the shudder openings but will come back and relieve the two center-lower doors. These will be the working tubes.

Name:	20201004_221513.jpg
Views:	528
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	144633
    Next I cut the hull and inserted some 3d printed flood valves. I decided to leave the opening in the valve so as to all air to escape when trying to dive.
    Also, in this picture you can see 4 of the bow bollards and plates.

If anyone notices I do not know the proper names for any of the features, please feel free to correct me.

Name:	20200924_071025.jpg
Views:	504
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	144634
    I do not know what this hatch looking thing is but it is scribed into the hull. There is one also on the stern deck. I 3d printed one that is .015 thick. All 3d printed plates will be glued into position once all original paint is removed from the hull.

​​ Click image for larger version

Name:	20201004_221505.jpg
Views:	567
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	144635
    I believe all rc airplanes should have pilots and all subs, when on the surface, should have look outs. These two chaps will be cut up and reposed so their arms stay within the confines of the tower opening.
    This will allow them to retreat into the tower as the air power scopes come up. This way, when the boat is surface running they will be looking out, before it dives they will go below and the scopes will come up.
    I have also added the windscreen per the real boat. These two are new to this boat as they were originally on my Arkmodel Type VII. Their new uniforms are coming. lol

Name:	20201008_134620.jpg
Views:	512
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	144636
    Two smaller sonar vents are present on the real boat so I have add them here.

Name:	20201008_134627.jpg
Views:	502
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	144637Click image for larger version

Name:	20201008_134637.jpg
Views:	505
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	144638

The last detail for now is the rear hatch. Not sure if this is how it works on the real boat so I am taking some design liberties here.
    There is a floor under the door that will locate the air valve that will be used to air up the on-board air tank that operates the scopes.
    Also present is are two rear bollards.

Thanks all for now. Feel free to chime in.

Cheers!
    Mickm
    Attached Files
  • redboat219
    Admiral
    • Dec 2008

I can see! Nice pics.

BTW, the bow doors are called shutters. Lol
    Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• TINFISH
      Lieutenant
      • Apr 2019

Hi Redboat, glad you can see the pics now.
      I did know the correct word was "shutters", but I did not catch that I misspelled it.
      More to come.

Cheers!
      TINFISH

Comment

• RCSubGuy
        Welcome to my underwater realm!
        • Aug 2009

Looking AWESOME, Mike! Has your new cylinder arrived yet?

Comment

• TINFISH
          Lieutenant
          • Apr 2019

Hi Bob,
          Thanks for the kind words.
          I have not received the cylinder yet, it is scheduled to be here tomorrow. I have already removed the original saddle mounts/
          Cheers!
          TINFISH

Comment

• TINFISH
            Lieutenant
            • Apr 2019

Hi All,
            A couple updates on the Upholder.

Name:	20201024_132409.jpg
Views:	469
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	144751
            I drill and files out 9 rectangular slots in the bottom bow of the hull.

Name:	20201024_132401.jpg
Views:	466
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	144752
            Ok, not sure what these recess cutout features in the bow planes are, but I did added this detail.

Name:	20201024_132608.jpg
Views:	497
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	144753Click image for larger version

Name:	20201024_132614.jpg
Views:	498
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	144754
            The forward and rear cylinder mounting parts have been removed. The new cylinder Bob has built for this boat will be a out 3 inches longer than the original OTW cylinder.

More the come,
            TINFISH

Comment

• Schuka
              Ensign
              • Oct 2020

Looking well buddy ..... here is a pic so you know who it is :) Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0310.JPG
Views:	387
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	144795

Comment

• TINFISH
                Lieutenant
                • Apr 2019

Awesome job my friend.

Comment

• TINFISH
                  Lieutenant
                  • Apr 2019

Hello all and Happy Holidays,
                  I have gotten some more detailing done to my boat while waiting for the new WTC from OTW. It is scheduled to be here early January so the timing is working out quite well.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20201220_104717.jpg Views:	0 Size:	51.9 KB ID:	146072Click image for larger version  Name:	20201220_104730.jpg Views:	0 Size:	62.9 KB ID:	146073
                  First, I have completed the addition of all 3d printed features to the upper hull.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20201220_104645.jpg Views:	0 Size:	50.5 KB ID:	146074
                  There are a couple of additional features not present on the hull originally that I think should be added. These are the widened walk area on both side of the tower and the flowing flange at the rear of the tower.
                  These were constructed from Marine Tex which is a marine epoxy specifically for water craft. It gets harder than Superman's knee caps, but is easy to work with.

Click image for larger version  Name:	crew old.jpg Views:	0 Size:	46.8 KB ID:	146080Click image for larger version  Name:	20201220_110843.jpg Views:	0 Size:	43.9 KB ID:	146081Click image for larger version  Name:	crew new 2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	50.7 KB ID:	146082
                  Also, while I've got time to kill. Remember those two crew members left over from WWII, well, a couple of Captain and Cokes brought out the Dr. Frankenstein in me so I cut them up so they would look more at home in this newer boat.

Now for the working scopes......

Originally Bob had a floor glued in that had small pieces of tubing which allowed for the scopes to be removed for travel. This was a very good idea but I wanted to have the scopes work. This boat, with it's larger tower footprint, seemed to yield itself to this.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20201127_211732.jpg Views:	0 Size:	49.0 KB ID:	146075
                  First thing I did was completely remove the original floor and 3d print and install a new one.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20201201_233506.jpg Views:	0 Size:	42.4 KB ID:	146076
                  In order to know where to drill the centers, I printed a series of plugs with center guide holes.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20201202_121541.jpg Views:	0 Size:	57.9 KB ID:	146077
                  This made center drilling the holes for the scope sleeves easy and precisely centered.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20201217_163605.jpg Views:	0 Size:	49.1 KB ID:	146078Click image for larger version  Name:	20201219_131404.jpg Views:	0 Size:	45.0 KB ID:	146079
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	20201220_121133.jpg Views:	0 Size:	63.5 KB ID:	146083
                  This is the periscope assembly. Both out and installed in the upper hull and what it looks like inside the hull. It uses thin wall stainless tubing for both the sleeves and the scope shafts with .007" tolerance between the two. There is a 4" duel action air cylinder in place that takes care of the movement. It requires only 2" of space beneath the hull floor. Which is more than enough to clear the top of the WTC. Also, this should leave ample room for the torpedo's.

My plans are to use 2.4 gig radio with this boat so the ESM will have the antenna run thru it and protrude 2" longer than the top. This should yield a full 6" of room for the boat to submerge above the top of the tower before loosing radio signal. Plenty for me!

I'm happy to report they are working flawlessly and freely. Here is a short video showing them in action. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUqyihJM3UY

Happy Holidays
                  Mike
                  Last edited by TINFISH; 12-21-2020, 09:47 PM.

Comment

• TINFISH
                    Lieutenant
                    • Apr 2019

Name:	image_45770.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	146257 The Upholder is getting close to having a new cylinder. Weather here is too yucky to paint so I thought I would take a design que from Bob and make a stand and name placard.
                    Last edited by TINFISH; 12-31-2020, 01:31 AM.

Comment

• redboat219
                      Admiral
                      • Dec 2008

Where do you get air for your pneumatic cylinder? Do you have a dedicated compressed air cylinder inside your WTC or are you just using a pump to move air to and from your WTC to operate the pneumatic ram?
                      Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• CC Clarke
                        Lieutenant Commander
                        • Aug 2020

This is a nice-looking build and a good example of using 3D printed parts.

As for submarine terminology, the "bollards" (land-locked posts) are called cleats and are retracted before diving along with the capstan(s).

CC
                        Last edited by CC Clarke; 12-31-2020, 09:49 PM. Reason: spelwing

Comment

• TINFISH
                          Lieutenant
                          • Apr 2019

Redboat219 - The foundation for my system is an rc scale aircraft retract system. I ordered a 4" double throw cylinder. I have an onboard air storage tank fitted beneath the rear deck, that is filled via the hatch on the deck behind the tower. The air coupler will be connected to a servo inside the WTC. There will be two tiny air lines with quick disconnects to join everything together. I pump the system up with a Robart hand pump, with an attached gauge, to 100 psi. My testing has proven to get upwards of 20 full cycles on a single change without any issues or binding.
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	20201231_113229.jpg Views:	0 Size:	63.3 KB ID:	146288Click image for larger version  Name:	20201231_113236.jpg Views:	0 Size:	63.8 KB ID:	146289

CC Clarke = Thank you for the kind words and the terminology correction. Learning as I go here.

Cheers!
                          Mike
                          Last edited by TINFISH; 12-31-2020, 06:45 PM.

Comment

• TINFISH
                            Lieutenant
                            • Apr 2019

Click image for larger version  Name:	NEW WIRING LAYOUT COMPLETE.jpg Views:	0 Size:	66.4 KB ID:	146407Click image for larger version  Name:	NEW WIRING LAYOUT.jpg Views:	0 Size:	80.7 KB ID:	146408
                            Little update on the scope assembly. The ESM has been added now plus I wasn't pleased with now "untidy" the unit looked. Beside those darn little wires would stick you if you tried operating it by hand to check heights. So, I covered the ends in brass tubing, enlarged the holes in the aluminum coupler and added another bulkhead to make certain everything is running straight and smooth. This made a nice difference and I am now pleased with it. I have operated it countless times with over 20 complete cycles per charge without a single issue. This chapter is closed and moving on to torpedo shutter (thanks CC) door operations.

Here's a link to a new video with all four scopes in action. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEU8...ature=youtu.be

Cheers!
                            Mike
                            Last edited by TINFISH; 01-04-2021, 10:55 PM.

Comment

• TINFISH
                              Lieutenant
                              • Apr 2019

Hello all,
                              Not sure if I should post this here or in the Torpedo section. I'll put it here for now.
                              With the scope project being completed I have moved on the torpedo project. The first thing to address was opening and closing the shutters. I decided to use the lower outside shutters as this would yield room inside to house the WTC for the servos to operate everything and allow the controls for the doors to be place between the tubes.
                              The last video is a test to be certain the fish will exit the sub without hanging up. Both tubes worked as intended. Note: the pillow was never in any danger during this test fire!!!
                              Here are a couple videos showing everything in action.

Cheers!
                              Mike
                              Last edited by TINFISH; 01-09-2021, 05:48 PM.

Comment

Working...