X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SubDude
    Captain
    • Dec 2019

As if I don't have enough projects - 1/76th Ohio'ish sub

I have always liked the Ohio class subs so decided to try my hand at something that is a total hybrid. I never intended this to be completly scale but just close. Based on a piece of 6" schedule 40 PVC pipe it nets out at a little under 7-1/2' long. I designed and 3D printed the nose, tail cone and deck sections out of PETG. I will be making silicone molds to cast the stern control surfaces and fairwater planes out of resin while the deck to hull transitions and sail will be epoxy fiberglass. My intention is to install a modular sub system on a slide out tray of G10 with the bow and stern being removable. In the end it is a big experiment.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200615_190624_copy_2016x1512.jpg Views:	6 Size:	65.1 KB ID:	140694
    Last edited by SubDude; 06-15-2020, 08:04 PM.
  • SubDude
    Captain
    • Dec 2019

I hear ya. I haven't yet decided where I am taking this. It could easily be the basis for a set of molds. Undecided on that at the moment. If I had better CAD skills I would make the sail, transitions and control surfaces out of PETG as well. It is pretty stable stuff even in the sun. The way I designed the missile deck it could easily be secured to the PVC hull in a way that would allow it to "float" so to speak. Certainly need to take it all into consideration.

Comment

• eckloss
      Lieutenant, Junior Grade
      • Nov 2014

I give it a cool factor of 9.5.... Ohio boats are sexy, and bigger is always better imho

Comment

• ffr2608
        Lieutenant Commander
        • Oct 2009

Ultracal 30 plaster molds. About 30 bucks for a 100# bag.

Comment

• HvyCGN9
          Lieutenant Commander
          • Jan 2013

Nice !! A club mate of mine who produces detailed 1/72 ship hulls is thinking of doing an Ohio class in 1/72 one day...it will be super detailed too, with possibly two versions of the missile deck one with opening hatches, and a cheaper version without.....but it is a fair way down on his list of hulls at the moment!!

Bruce

Comment

• SubDude
            Captain
            • Dec 2019

I have decided to go ahead and make fiberglass molds of the sail, missile deck, tail cone and nose cone. I also purchased a 3D file for a nice 7 blade scimitar prop that I have filled and sprayed with high fill polyurethane primer which I plan to cast out of resin as well. I have almost everything I need to complete this boat and will be working to get all of the FG and resin parts made ASAP. My current goal is to have it done for Subfest 2020.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200723_205943.jpg
Views:	735
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	142147

Name:	20200723_224242.jpg
Views:	696
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	142148

Comment

• SubDude
              Captain
              • Dec 2019

Shhh...don't tell anybody but it is actually described as a Russian sub propeller. ;o)

Unfortunately I have not had much success finding a file for a proper one. Seeing as how this project is more of a POC build for me which is part of a larger plan, it will do for now. I agree it is not accurate. Outside of the basic dimensions and shape I have not endeavored to make it accurate to scale but Ohio'ish. I cannot even determine if it is the correct size. My next one will be bigger and more accurate. This one is helping me to learn better molding materials/practices from my friend Darrell Sprayberry.

You sir have an uncanny eye for detail. Something to be admired.

Comment

• SubDude
                Captain
                • Dec 2019

High fill primer on and wet sanded with 400 grit. She's ready for molding.

Name:	20200803_123827.jpg
Views:	772
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	142567

Name:	20200803_123859.jpg
Views:	744
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	142568

Comment

• HvyCGN9
                  Lieutenant Commander
                  • Jan 2013

Name:	navyprop.jpg
Views:	661
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	142588
                  How big is the Prop?? I read some where ages ago that it is about 27foot dia!! Which would be about 110mm in 1/72....!!
                  Last edited by HvyCGN9; 08-05-2020, 09:39 AM.

Comment

• SubDude
                    Captain
                    • Dec 2019

Originally posted by HvyCGN9

Name:	navyprop.jpg
Views:	661
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	142588
                    How big is the Prop?? I read some where ages ago that it is about 27foot dia!! Which would be about 110mm in 1/72....!!
                    Thank you. That is good to know. The one I made is 90mm in diameter. At 1/76th scale it should be 108mm based on what you are saying. Interestingly I could always say I am trying to make the USS Montanna from the Abyss. At least the prop rotation direction would be right for it.

Name:	20200805_215334_copy_2016x1512.jpg
Views:	658
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	142595

Comment

• Das Boot
                      Rear Admiral
                      • Dec 2019

Originally posted by RCJetDude
                      High fill primer on and wet sanded with 400 grit. She's ready for molding.

Name:	20200803_123827.jpg
Views:	772
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	142567

Name:	20200803_123859.jpg
Views:	744
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	142568
                      That’s going to be a monster. Very nice.
                      Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                        Welcome to my underwater realm!
                        • Aug 2009

Loving it! Great work, Steve!

Bob

Comment

• SubDude
                          Captain
                          • Dec 2019

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

I think you would be better served going with the OHIO class wheel (different scales I built for the Crimson Tide movie) illustrated here. Also in the shots are the wheel for the bad-guy AKULA miniature (the one that 'imploded' at the end of the flick).
                          That thing is a monster! OK, I didn't want to pester you but where does one acquire an Ohio prop that is roughly 1/76th scale or around 100mm in diameter since I assume such doesn't already exist but you have surprised me at every turn so I am starting to think that anything is possible.

Comment

• a1965l
                            Lieutenant Commander
                            • Apr 2020

Two problems with that propeller:

Unless the photo was flopped, it spins the wrong way. Most American single-screw submarines have the wheel rotating in a clockwise direction (right-hand pitch) going ahead, when looking forward.

Also, the pressure face of your wheel appears to be under-cambered, it should be convex to almost flat at the tip. The blade section of almost all non super-cavitating marine propellers is of almost symmetrical camber throughout the span.

David
                            HEY! You didn't bag on me for using a wrong rotation prop on my 688.... or perhaps you were just overwhelmed by it's sheer bulk
                            "It does not take so many words to speak the truth" Chief Joseph

Comment

• SubDude
                              Captain
                              • Dec 2019

I only got so much venom per strike, pal. Take a number, sit down and wait your ****ing turn! Don't worry, you're still at risk.
                              Too funny!!

Comment

Working...