Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SteveNeill
    Commander
    • Apr 2020

So lets see. Where do I begin. Making the bow planes functional (if they are really "Functional" at all). What I mean by this is, do they have any influence on the boats behavior at this size or not? Do they just look cool moving.

I have found in most cases with the exception of the Type 7 and a few other boats that they just look cool because they move. Yes on the Gato and VIIC they work. But these 214 mid planes are so small and not nearly as far forward of the CG to make me wonder because I'm going through a lot of trial and error to get them to move.

The WTC has two servos in the front. They are forward of the planes. I have two choices. Run a long shaft from the aft dives planes control to the bow planes or bend backwards 1/16 wobbly wire on magnets to the forward control shafts. I tried that. It works but it's kinda of funky. As you can see in the picture I have this bent control shaft. It's a temporary and it works. If I go this route I will use it as a pattern to make some a bit more palatable to the eye.

The other issue I have with this model is the resin cast parts. Although most are OK this one dive plane was cast poorly. Either the resin was old or not mixed thoroughly because no matter what I do it sweats an oily substance that eventually comes of through the primer. The primer remains gooey and nothing I have tried seals it.

So the only option I have is to scratch build a new dive plane. Not what I bargained for on a customer build.

Today I will finalize the bow planes and with any luck move on to the model building and painting of this model.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-5963.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	140999Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-5965.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	141000Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-5958.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	141001Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-5956.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	141002

Comment

• RCSubGuy
      Welcome to my underwater realm!
      • Aug 2009

Been a while since I've been able to stop by, but great work, Steve! Loving it so far.

In regard to the remote switch, yes, it needs to be removed from the casing. That done, your size is reduced considerably and there is ample room to drop it in the battery compartment, tucked over the LiPo, or you can go twin 1500mAh batteries and have TONS of extra room to put it in. There are also smaller versions, but only rated at 10A, which should be fine, but the 15A unit would make me feel better.

Bob

Comment

• RCSubGuy
        Welcome to my underwater realm!
        • Aug 2009

Oh, and in regard to your dive plane, that situation is often caused by inaccurate measuring, not mixing thoroughly or by curing in cold temperatures. Try moving your piece to a warmer spot, or even curing in the oven at very low temps for a few hours. If it doesn't dry, try coating it with a thin layer of properly mixed resin.

Comment

• SteveNeill
          Commander
          • Apr 2020

Thanks Bob! Well I did it. Perfect bow planes. Pictures later on but it's all solved.

Comment

• SteveNeill
            Commander
            • Apr 2020

Well after another three hours of head scratch and engineering that worked but didn't live up to my expectations I scrapped everything I was doing for the past two days and did the most simplistic thing I had a mind to do but didn't think would work on this boat. It did.

I ran a carbon rod with brass connectors both ends from the stern planes control shaft to the bow plains. In 30 minutes I had extremely well working plains, solid, lots of travel and smooth. Just perfect. Sometimes when things seem to good to be true they actually are true.

Installing the connector to the stern planes via a magnet is dead simple and reliable. I was able to turn on the boat and in seconds close it, put in the one screw to hold the deck down and was ready for action. Good!

Don't worry that brass attached to the resin will be wrapped and sealed with CA and thread. Now that it's all functional I need to finalize everything, clean it up and secure it for good.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-5970.jpg Views:	0 Size:	70.1 KB ID:	141037Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-5969.jpg Views:	0 Size:	61.0 KB ID:	141036Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-5968.jpg Views:	0 Size:	61.5 KB ID:	141035Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-5967.jpg Views:	0 Size:	70.9 KB ID:	141034
            Last edited by SteveNeill; 06-24-2020, 09:43 AM.

Comment

• SteveNeill
              Commander
              • Apr 2020

Thanks Rob! I need to order more carbon fiber rods. That was the last one I had. I use them in my large scale RC gliders I still fly.

Comment

• SteveNeill
                Commander
                • Apr 2020

She got her first coat of semi gloss. Looks like gloss to me. But no worries that's what a series of dark grey and flat black panels are for. Give me some tape, an airbrush and I'll make it pop.

Got the the NAV lights open so I can make the lighting mounts and install the lighting. Got some real bad panel etching in the model to redo. I really wish when people make a master that they would before making a mold correct the mistakes. Some of these look like they were done free hand.

They are a lot of things that showed on this hull once it was all one color. 3D printing is not the answer a good eye and a steady hand is. More work for me to do.

​​​​​​​Overall though it's a sexy looking German boat. Like their Porsche use to be (can't stand the new designs) it just looks so clean and functional. Nothing gawdy about it.

Interior has a heavy acrylic coating of Matt black to even it all out and make it more eye pleasing. It really pops out David's hot looking WTC.

Name:	IMG-6052.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	141270

Name:	IMG-6055.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	141269

Name:	IMG-6043.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	141267

Name:	IMG-6041.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	141266

Name:	IMG-6053.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	141268 ​​​​​​​

Comment

• SteveNeill
                  Commander
                  • Apr 2020

She can be shinny I have found. I need to get the water level rub on decals. Any idea where I might fine these? It's been awhile.

Name:	Matrozos.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	141273

Comment

• SteveNeill
                    Commander
                    • Apr 2020

Thanks Rob. They do look good just black but the weatherer in me can't resist. Now That I have finished the USS Enterprise for my customer it's full time on this boat later this week. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-6074.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	141291

Comment

• SteveNeill
                      Commander
                      • Apr 2020

Rob my videos are on Vimeo. I don't like using free sites that constantly wound you with copyright violations and ads. I pay for my Vimeo account and it's so much better. Thanks Rob!

Comment

• SteveNeill
                        Commander
                        • Apr 2020

This video at the beginning shows everything work as it should.

Comment

• SteveNeill
                          Commander
                          • Apr 2020

Some of the scribe lines and detail on this hull needed pointing up. Lots of imperfections in the hull that were bugging me. Also the semi-gloss wasn't so semi. So I started in with Matt or flat black and it when buffed out a bit will have the correct sheen. The panel still needs a bit more touch up but it's getting there. The opposite panel is fine. The whole hull could use re-scribing all over but it's not too bad and once painted and weathered will look fine.

Some kits are this way, others don't need any correction at all. It's the nature of garage kits.

I should nearly finish this week and get her in the water.

Attached Files

Comment

• SteveNeill
                            Commander
                            • Apr 2020

Did some weathering to here using oil paints and some airbrushing to give her a bit of scale and life in the sea. Scum line all subdued for me but these 214's tend to be black and clean but not that clean in my research. Today is lights. Had to wait for oils to dry. She gets two more parts and that's about it except for the hull markings. At this size it would be rather difficult to do the little numbers next to each water level white line marker. Decals come off or chip so I'm going to make up painters tape masks and airbrush them on.

As for those pesky bow planes nothing I could do or try stopped them from oozing resin and keeping the paint from setting up. So I took the best of the two and made a quick waste mold in silicone so today I can cast two new ones with my resin and move on!

Name:	amold.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	141476Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-6154.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	141477

Name:	IMG-6168.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	141478

Name:	IMG-6157.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	141479

Name:	IMG-6158.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	141480

Comment

• bassplayer1
                              Lieutenant Commander
                              • Mar 2010

Good day sir

With all your respect, instead of complaining about those bow planes or anything else you should contact me through Bob or directly and I would replace them immediately! That would save you a lot of husle!!! You've done a great job by the way, I like the way she turned out !!( Your waterline is a bit high, it should be where the upper hull ends)

Comment

• SteveNeill
                                Commander
                                • Apr 2020

Thanks Rob. That's very kind of you to say. I have to say though if it were not for my friendship with David Merriman back all those years ago I wouldn't be half the modeler I am today. The movie industry taught me how do do things quick and dirty under a lot of pressure. David taught me how to build models with more craftsmanship and skill. He's has selfishly helped so many people and even mentored them under his own roof. He never gets enough credit IMHO.

Comment

Working...