Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MFR1964
    replied
    David,

Yup, stone-age tech, but if properly modified it will give you a true peroscope runner at high speed, to quote you, if it works don't change it.

Manfred.

Leave a comment:

• JHapprich
    replied
    Analog. Loving it.

Leave a comment:

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
    replied
    My God!... is that angle-keeper a modified Futaba helicopter mechanical rate-gyro/accelerometer?

You cave-man, you!

David

Leave a comment:

• MFR1964
    replied
    Things are moving along, finished compartment two, placed the gyro and started to work on the airlines,

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220204_163524.jpg Views:	0 Size:	52.1 KB ID:	159424

Started to make some room for the gyro, which will be placed at the designed bracket.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220204_164315.jpg Views:	0 Size:	52.7 KB ID:	159425

More order into the wires, it cleans up nicely.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220204_171046.jpg Views:	0 Size:	50.2 KB ID:	159426

Last test with the not yet altered steering-print, guided the wires through needed to control the gyro.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220205_165021.jpg Views:	0 Size:	56.3 KB ID:	159427

Gyro is in and the rebuilded steering-print is placed inside, did some testing if all works as intended, that screw at the bracket of the gyro is used to set it level if needed, when set the screw is locked with a small M3 nut.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220205_165030.jpg Views:	0 Size:	49.4 KB ID:	159428

The last compartment i have to finish, steering unit of the gyro has to be placed, adjusting the steering of the scope and schnorkelmast, have to alter the software of the transmittor, don't need that much movement at the servo.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220205_165052.jpg Views:	0 Size:	52.2 KB ID:	159429

Today i glued in the tubes for the airlines, decided to make them through the aluminum deck to keep the hatch clear, i need to open this hatch time after time, don't need broken things or take connections loose.

When the glue is set i can start with making the T connectors for both the scope and schnorkelmast, run the airlines, soldering the final connections at the scope and schnorkelmast and start testing with the steering of both of them.
    Don't know if i need the restrictors in the airlines but they are there anyway, if needed is can use them, if not is can leave them completely open, hope to finish up those things this week.

Manfred.
    Last edited by MFR1964; 02-21-2022, 03:34 PM.

Leave a comment:

• MFR1964
    replied
    Romel,

It should work like that, for now i keep it on a dedicated channel, if it works well i can allways hook it up to the levelkeeper

Manfred.

Leave a comment:

• redboat219
    replied
    So the more they swing out the more lift they produce, ingenious. Are you going to couple the deploy mechanism with a sensor like an automatic depth keeper?

Leave a comment:

• MFR1964
    replied
    Nick,

All that spaghetti is needed to run my boat, building dryhull boats is a different ball-game compared to building SD/WTC's, all servo's are in working order, launchsystem is working, the prop can spin, the pressured air system is almost done, a pieces fall together, i hope she can see some water within a few months,
    Before i take the plunge she will be tested on all levels, for now busy with rebuilding the steering-print, when that is done i can create some room by ordering the wires to place the pendulum gyro as a last act, all has to be done before i can start on the last compartment.

Romel,

That wing has a airfoil shape, it's symmetrical intire all lenght, i suspect it will give me some lift while driving slow speeds underwater, pretty much the same as with forward diveplanes, the angle i can set it will give a different lift so steering it all the way was critical hence the effort with the fly-wheels to get me full swing.

Manfred.

Leave a comment:

• redboat219
    replied
    Manfred, regarding the front wing, is it airfoil shaped? Symmetrical along the entire length?

Leave a comment:

• Monahan Steam Models
    replied
    Manfred,

You just need some home made tomato sauce and meatballs to go with all that spaghetti. But seriously, that is a lot of wires, you maniac! Keep the progress with this build coming. Looking forward to your next build update. You’re getting really close to this boat being operational.

Nick

Leave a comment:

• MFR1964
    replied
    Thanks Nick,

I've rounded up things about the wing, now it gives enough movement to play around, started to hook up all wires,

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220209_194354.jpg Views:	0 Size:	48.1 KB ID:	159247

The steeringrod is shortened, turned it down to 3 mm and tapped some new thread M3 for the connector, bended the small rod between those two graupner connectors to get me maximum deflection, very curious how this will work in de water, from documentation i know they had some stabilityproblems during slow speeds, placed the wing to counter that, we will see if it will work for real.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_50952.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	159248
    This is the maximum play i have to both sided, if i want small deflection i only need to use the trim on the transmittor.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220204_145030.jpg Views:	0 Size:	51.7 KB ID:	159249

This nest of wires i have to sort out, the steering-print will be rebuild with connectors only, too much wires and too little room to stuff them away, the master-relais will be replaced because i need more contacts, besides the old relais is turning hot after some time, have to replace it anyway.
    Made all connections and did some testing, for now everthing is working as intended, when this is done i can place the connections for the air controlling the scopes, decided to make them into the aluminum deck itself instead of the hatch, i want to keep the hatch clear of things, this is my loading-hatch it will come off each time i have to charge the boat, no need to break things when i take the hatch off.

Manfred.
    Last edited by MFR1964; 02-13-2022, 12:15 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Monahan Steam Models
    replied
    Great progress with working out the wing mechanism linkage. Looking good!

Leave a comment:

• MFR1964
    replied
    Done some work on the mechanism to steer the wing, pictures

Name:	20220206_135441.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	159235

Before i started to work on the mechanism i made this, a simple block of wood with all the stuff in hand-reach.

Name:	20220208_162201.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	159236

Took a scrap-piece of circuitboard and drilled the holes with the pressdrill, modified the piece which hold the wing and added a connection to turn the big fly-wheel.

Name:	20220208_165653.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	159237

Used the cuttingdisk to get me this shape, it has to fitt on top of the torpedo-launchtubes.

Name:	20220208_202735.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	159238

Tapped some holes M2 to give me a rigid connection, have to change the steeringrod itself, for now it's too long, signed off the difference and will shorten it, will tap some new thread M3 to hold the connector.
    When all is done i can start testing of this is the solution,

Manfred.

Leave a comment:

• MFR1964
    replied
    Thanks Casey,

First compartment was a breeze compared to the second compartment, first i have still to add more wires, i will rebuild the steering-print with connectors only to eliminate the attached wires and adding LED's, every electrical component in the boat has his own LED to show if it's under power, it will decrease searching for problems, either it will be power or mechanical.
    But first solve the issue with the wing.

Manfred.

Leave a comment:

• Das Boot
    replied
    Manfred,
    it’s impressive how you turn a mass of wires, a sows ear, into a silk purse. Very nice.
    Casey

Leave a comment:

• MFR1964
    replied
    Switches are places, more wires and i ran into a problem,

Name:	20220129_152553.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	159208

Both switches are placed, for now they function without the rubber watertight boots, left switch is the masterswitch to turn the boat on, and the right is used for the compressor, it has three positions, towards the A means automatic, middle position is neutral and towards the H means controlled by hand.

Name:	20220129_152558.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	159203

Name:	20220131_172050.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	159204

This nest of wires is still growing, have to add even more, the print is used for steering the main valve, controlling the levelkeeper, shutdown of the compressor going underwater and controlling the steering of the future antenna.

Name:	20220207_192103.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	159205

Now my problem, that strange wing on front has to be functional, now i have this as maximal output steering it, the servo is set at 120% at both directions, still not enough.

Name:	20220207_192221.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	159206

Turned to mechanics, used a small flywheel and a big one, marked the positions and connected them by using a O-ring, this is the neutral position.

Name:	20220207_192229.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	159207

Turned the big fly-wheel about 1 cm, this gave me halve a turn at the small fly-wheel, now this looks promising i'm going to build this in copper and printboard to give me a actual testbed, i have this weekend to sort those things out, stay tuned.

Manfred.

Attached Files

Leave a comment:

Working...