X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SubDude
    Captain
    • Dec 2019

Originally posted by trout

I agree with Bob, it is really a cool look. For whatever reason, it fits the Nautilus theme. It has a Steam Punk look and feel to it. If the frame is painted an antique bronze it will be eye candy on the inside. Steve, you are doing.a great job on this submarine.
    Thank you sir. I am such a newbie at this. I like to experiment and try new things though. I replaced the wheelhouse and salon windows and am working on vacuum forming new lenses for all the lights around the salon windows now. My receivers will be here tomorrow and the running gear is progressing well. It won't be much longer and she'll be ready to get wet.

Comment

• SteveNeill
      Commander
      • Apr 2020

I think the lighting in the wheel house is spot on. And it helps me as does your painting of the boat and the Vallejo rust I did know about. I ordered their entire compliment. Starting my smaller Nautilus today that replaced the boat you now have.

Did you ever see how life started for this boat? Ran over by UPS and the whole in a million pieces the client ordered another one for me to build. He told me to keep this one and when I finished and shipped his boat I started piecing it back together like a gig saw puzzle.

This is a fitting end to my old friend for many years at the pond!

Attached Files

Comment

• SubDude
        Captain
        • Dec 2019

Originally posted by SteveNeill
        I think the lighting in the wheel house is spot on. And it helps me as does your painting of the boat and the Vallejo rust I did know about. I ordered their entire compliment. Starting my smaller Nautilus today that replaced the boat you now have.

Did you ever see how life started for this boat? Ran over by UPS and the whole in a million pieces the client ordered another one for me to build. He told me to keep this one and when I finished and shipped his boat I started piecing it back together like a gig saw puzzle.

This is a fitting end to my old friend for many years at the pond!

I can't begin to tell you how much I appreciate these pictures. It is incredible what you had to work with and even more so what you managed to do with it. Really helps me to appreciate all the more just what I have. Thank you so much for making the effort to repair it. Because if what you did, I am now able to realize something I had only dreamed about and quite honestly was starting to feel would never happen. When was it that this occurred?

Comment

• SteveNeill
          Commander
          • Apr 2020

I think about 2010. But I cheated. 40 plus years on movie effects and making things for producers that had to work and in record time prepares you for things like this. Some times things would just get destroyed on set my idiots. You had to fix it and have it working the next morning. So making the impossible possible has always been my job. ;)

Comment

• SubDude
            Captain
            • Dec 2019

I had an opportunity to talk subs on the Merry Boozers RC show tonight. I hope I was able to promote The Nautilus Drydocks and the hobby overall. I am certainly no expert but this big boat has gotten the attention of many in the RC community.

Comment

• RCSubGuy
              Welcome to my underwater realm!
              • Aug 2009

That was great, Steve! I watched the whole thing. You do a great job explaining things and you're a great ambassador for the hobby!

Thanks for sharing!

Bob

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                • Aug 2008

Well done, Steve. And your care to site attribution as to sources and assistance is much appreciated. An excellent presentation, sir.

David
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• SteveNeill
                  Commander
                  • Apr 2020

Nicely done. It was nice to see you and hear you. You have the it. I know what is the it? This is an expression that my old actor friend Gary Lockwood told me about when he was first discovered. His agent told him he has the "it". He then went on from there to the successful career we know him for today. Well you have "it"! ;)

Comment

• SubDude
                    Captain
                    • Dec 2019

Originally posted by SteveNeill
                    Nicely done. It was nice to see you and hear you. You have the it. I know what is the it? This is an expression that my old actor friend Gary Lockwood told me about when he was first discovered. His agent told him he has the "it". He then went on from there to the successful career we know him for today. Well you have "it"! ;)
                    Thank you sir. "It" is nice to know.

Comment

• SubDude
                      Captain
                      • Dec 2019

Working on a giant squid for static display. This is the aluminum armature that will be covered with Sculpey clay.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200518_204916.jpg
Views:	395
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	139481

Comment

• SubDude
                        Captain
                        • Dec 2019

The clay on it...

Name:	20200619_154852_copy_2016x1512.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	140819

Comment

• SubDude
                          Captain
                          • Dec 2019

Pool trials have begun. She floats and trims out at the waterline. So far so good.

Name:	20200619_133253_copy_2016x1512.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	140823

Name:	20200619_133208_copy_2016x1512.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	140824

Name:	20200619_132906_copy_2016x1512.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	140825

Comment

• SteveNeill
                            Commander
                            • Apr 2020

Great Steve!!

Comment

• Subculture
                              Admiral
                              • Feb 2009

I estimate your twin sphere tanks are around 2 litre volume. Do you need all that volume to get that trim, or are you running with part flooded tanks?

Comment

• SubDude
                                Captain
                                • Dec 2019

Tanks are dry. Fair amount of foam to get the waterline trim established. Working on submerged trim now. The water tight enclosures, motor and two batteries are fairly heavy. With this boat there isn't much space above the waterline to add foam.

Name:	20200620_095938_copy_2016x1512.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	140974

Comment

Working...