X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • QuarterMaster
    Rear Admiral
    • Sep 2015

U-91035 "PROTEUS" Build Log 2020-02-12: PROPULSION

I don’t know why this particular step was so difficult for me to start. Certainly not in terms of complexity, probably more like a feeling I’ve hit a point of “no return” with my design of her propulsion system. IOW, once these bad boy’s are in, I’m committed. No backup plan of using “bilge pump” thrusters now like Rick Teskey uses on his.

The nozzle tubes have been “tacked” in place using West System components 105 Resin, 206 Hardener (Slow), and 403 Microfibers. I used 4 pumps each, and 7 measured tablespoons of 403. The consistency was just about like mayonnaise.

Click image for larger version

Name:	01.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	136722

Name:	02.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	136723

Name:	03.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	136724

Here the nozzle tubes, along with their “alignment jig” have been laid in. They are level, square, and parallel to the long axis of the ship.

Name:	04.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	136725

Name:	05.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	136726

The jig has been removed and I'm test fitting the actual propulsion components.

Like I said, the point of “no return”.

Name:	06.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	136727

Name:	07.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	136728

Name:	08.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	136729

At this point I’m ready to adhere the “jet drive” mounting units to the hull. The issue here is the alignment of the exhaust nozzle of the drive to the nozzle tube. Exactly 1 tube diameter center to center! These photo’s show the ⅝” silicone tubing I was contemplating. But I think I’m going with something robust. Thicker wall flexible tubing such as an automotive heater hose. The Admiral would be upset if she finds cut up pieces of her garden hose in the yard. The force of the nozzle being held fast against the rubber hose will ensure no “blow by”.

The plan is that the motor/jet drive as well as the rubber hose/brass tube assembly will be removable for service/repair or replacement. The Brushless motor housing can be broken down as well, to either lube the shaft seal, or replace the motor. I think long term.

The good news is that at this point, I can toss the whole thing in the water and test what works, and even get some current draw readings. After that I plan on securing the lower half of the upper hull and continue with the assembly.

Now that I got past this mental hurdle, things are moving quickly. Crap I’ve had this hull since we ran in Johnston RI (2002/4 time frame) !!!!
    Last edited by QuarterMaster; 02-12-2020, 08:14 PM.
    v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
    NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
    USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS
  • george
    Captain
    • Dec 2010

What happened tot he pictures? The text is there.

Comment

• QuarterMaster
      Rear Admiral
      • Sep 2015

Originally posted by george
      What happened tot he pictures? The text is there.
      Not the easiest forum to post pictures to, especially if you edit.

I was told they were not there, funny thing is I saw them, on multiple devices multiple times!!

Hopefully fixed now.

Thanks!
      v/r "Sub" Ed

USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

• Bob Gato
        Captain
        • Feb 2019

A picture is worth a thousand words-especially if most people only look at the pictures! Looking Good!

Comment

• trout
          Admiral
          • Jul 2011

Picture were gone earlier, but they are here now.
          If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Rick Teskey
            Lieutenant Commander
            • Jan 2009

I love watching your build can't wait for Proteus under power !
            What is plan for reverse? I may have missed the build log on that.

Comment

• QuarterMaster
              Rear Admiral
              • Sep 2015

Originally posted by Rick Teskey
              I love watching your build can't wait for Proteus under power !
              What is plan for reverse? I may have missed the build log on that.
              No reverse.

The NQD pump jet inlets are within the hull. No forward outlets to accommodate.

I contend anyway the "real one" does NOT have reverse. Just like a jet ski doesn't have reverse unless they have the reverse bucket. The large inlets at the bow are apparently for passive cooling of the reactor, I would surmise they discharge into the propulsion system stream and water is drawn in by that. The moving faster, and generating larger power draw, the faster cooling water is drawn thru to cool the increased reactor output.

Name:	Proteus-036.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	136743

I also feel the Engine Intakes are just that...intakes. They're larger in surface area than the exhaust nozzle. Thrust is related to water velocity. Someone correct me here I'm wrong with the hydrodynamics. I submit Low Pressure on the large intake side, through the motor, compressing to high pressure on the low diameter nozzle side, increasing velocity out the narrow nozzle. To reverse that would give her very little exhaust pressure on the inlet side, especially with those small diameter nozzles acting as intakes. Maybe some elaborate valve plumbing redirecting the Reactor coolant back fwd through the engine, but again...no nozzle at the intake to increase water velocity.

Plus I'm just reading the "writing on the wall".

Name:	Proteus-050.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	136744

Rick, you have more experience driving and diving this boat than anyone I know.

Do you think she would need reverse?

From what I remember seeing you drive her she can spin on a dime with those jets being so far apart. ​Not many know that those nozzles were meant to be articulated as well

Name:	bp_proteus_s-01.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	136745

She's a slow boat with all those angles and wetted surface area, I think even with boat jet pumps screaming at 22k RPM that I'm never going to really need to "ALL BACK EMERGENCY". I don't EVER plan on backing her into a slip lol! I'll just have to learn to drive her, especially with other playmates.

I look at her as Capt. Owens intended her to be: "Designed for Piscatorial Research--the Spawning Habits of Deep Sea Fish."

AKA a slow moving, highly maneuverable, research sub.

So summarize this rather long no.....

No.

v/r "Sub" Ed

Comment

• Scott T
                Commander
                • May 2009

You usually go with the blood flow. Quiet turbulent when you get to the heart of the subject.

Comment

Working...