Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SSBN659
    Commander
    • Feb 2009

I wasn't, I've just been interested in subs for a very long time and my name is "Will" Rogers. I'll be watching your build and enjoying it.

SSBN659
    "Will" Rogers

Comment

• QuarterMaster
      Rear Admiral
      • Sep 2015

Originally posted by SSBN659
      I wasn't, I've just been interested in subs for a very long time and my name is "Will" Rogers. I'll be watching your build and enjoying it.

SSBN659
      "Will" Rogers
      Well you got me! lol
      v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
      NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
      USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

• roedj
        Captain
        • Sep 2008

HeWhoCannotBeShamed,,

There comes a time in everyone's life when we must admit all(OK, some) of our faults.

One of mine - when it comes to model building - is that I have absolutely NO skill at filing out limber holes. None I tell you - absolutely none. My attempts come out as trapezoids, at best, but mostly look like Rorschach test ink blots. I've tried all kinds of files; used many different tricks to outline the holes - all to no avail. I'm always on the lookout for yet another brilliant idea to lift my modelling skills. To that end I'm asking - what are you doing in this photo?
        Click image for larger version

Name:	2JZCwf.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	134950

Thanks ever so much.

Commander Curious
        Born in Detroit - where the weak are killed and eaten.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by roedj
          HeWhoCannotBeShamed,,

There comes a time in everyone's life when we must admit all(OK, some) of our faults.

One of mine - when it comes to model building - is that I have absolutely NO skill at filing out limber holes. None I tell you - absolutely none. My attempts come out as trapezoids, at best, but mostly look like Rorschach test ink blots. I've tried all kinds of files; used many different tricks to outline the holes - all to no avail. I'm always on the lookout for yet another brilliant idea to lift my modelling skills. To that end I'm asking - what are you doing in this photo?
          Click image for larger version

Name:	2JZCwf.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	134950

Thanks ever so much.

Commander Curious
          In almost all forms of fabrication, be it earth-moving (site survey); sheet-metal work (blue dye and scratch-awl); machining (plan reading and tool set-up); or sculpting (model analysis and lofting) there is the first step: lay-out. Or, if you will, mark-off, or lofting. The process of identifying the shape of the thing to be added to or subtracted from. Measurement plotted between established datum points, lines or planes. Sometimes the job requires creation of an intermediate model, a 'mock-up' (stiff paper, cardboard, clay, etc.), to understand the eventual fabrication process and materials selection -- the mock-up built from an easier/cheaper/quicker medium.

Creation and use of stencils and templates is a must if the shape of the item you wish to create is to be accurate of form.

(they don't teach this stuff in school anymore, do they? Just CAD and how to press the 'enter' key).

So, here are various forms of lay-out and mock-up work:

Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

limber and flood-hole punching is no different. What you see there, scribed onto the surface of the model are the artifacts of a proper lay-out job; the identification of the vertical and horizontal demarcation lines that define the size and shape of the holes to be punched out. Just stay within the lines, and you're good.

David
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Davidh
                  Captain
                  • Nov 2010

Seriously,

Someone needs to collect all this stuff and put it in a book. ( I don't have the time) I would buy it though! I get many inquiries from newbies, I just send them here and mention something about a one stop shop.

David H

Comment

• JHapprich
                    Captain
                    • Oct 2017

Yes. His majesty shall call it "tales from the crypt" :-)))))
                    For HHSNBN will be dug out in a few millenias with his workshop as an example of the 21st century "homo modelensis"
                    Sorry couldnt resist

Jörg (continuing his bloody business right away)
                    Last edited by JHapprich; 11-26-2019, 05:15 AM.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Davidh
                      Seriously,

Someone needs to collect all this stuff and put it in a book. ( I don't have the time) I would buy it though! I get many inquiries from newbies, I just send them here and mention something about a one stop shop.

David H
                      As you point out, this is the place. And, may I add: THIS FORUM IS THE BOOK!

If all you want is smiley-faced fluff, and empty platitudes the other forums are for you. However, if you want the straight dope on the subject of model submarining, from those in the know, this is the place.

David
                      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• JHapprich
                        Captain
                        • Oct 2017

Still would be a shame should your knowledge and experience get lost. Forum shutdown, server fails etc.. and its gone.i agree writing it down in a book to preserve it would be a great thing

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by JHapprich
                          Still would be a shame should your knowledge and experience get lost. Forum shutdown, server fails etc.. and its gone.i agree writing it down in a book to preserve it would be a great thing
                          I've written countless articles for the magazines and contributed to several hard-back books. And you don't even know about it. Now you realize how worthless those means of knowledge transmittal are in todays world of Internet and robot made stuff.

You artfully dodge around the issue: How can you carry on when guys like me die. Then what? Does all that talent fade from existence as a brain decomposes inside a dark box buried in the ground; will that knowledge be lost to the world?

Take what comfort you can from this: The knowledge and experience we 'experts' have will not be lost if guys like you pick up the torch and continue the race. I learned from my betters, as you are learning now from me and my peers (few that there are).

Always be the student! As am I.

And when your time is up -- before you become a drooling idiot strapped to the bed and outfitted with a diaper and/or assume room-temperature -- make every effort to pass on as much knowledge as you can. It's your duty. And your only chance to secure for yourself a little slice of immortality.

Leave things a bit better than you found them. You do that, and your last thoughts will likely be good ones as the torch slips from your grasp into another set of hands.

Learn. And pass it on.

Back to work!

David
                          Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 11-26-2019, 07:01 AM.
                          Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...