Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 598602G
    Captain
    • Jan 2017

Let's see if this video of a Echo II posts on here right. No sound on the video. You can guess what my next project is going to be. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_2tRCYtd9g

Comment

• 598602G
      Captain
      • Jan 2017

Now it is starting to look like a Victor III. Even tho I put a surface coat of epoxy before I started laying cloth some of the weave came through slightly but only on the lower sides of the hull. Sanded it down with 320 grit sand paper and no more weave.

Comment

• Tom Spettel
        Lieutenant, Junior Grade
        • Dec 2009

Very nice!!!! What did you use to give the impression of a second hull, That looks real good

Comment

• 598602G
          Captain
          • Jan 2017

Don't know what you mean by impression of a second hull. The lower hull I haven't filed the flood holes out yet. Pics of that tomorrow.

Comment

• 598602G
            Captain
            • Jan 2017

Dave this is how I pore the stern planes and rudders. I make 1 mold. Slit the mold on each side at the top where you pore. Then I rubber band the mold. When part is cured I take the rubber bands off and open the top of the mold to the slits and pull part out. No more voids air pockets or flaws. Got smart and hated working with those split molds.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
              • Aug 2008

Originally posted by 598602G
              Dave this is how I pore the stern planes and rudders. I make 1 mold. Slit the mold on each side at the top where you pore. Then I rubber band the mold. When part is cured I take the rubber bands off and open the top of the mold to the slits and pull part out. No more voids air pockets or flaws. Got smart and hated working with those split molds.
              Good looking part. I usually do split tools for the vacuum assisted pours.

David
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• 598602G
                Captain
                • Jan 2017

I just don't have all the fancy stuff to cast with. Hand pores. Should have your kit done this week Dave. Ran out of casting resin and RTV mold making green goop.

Comment

• 598602G
                  Captain
                  • Jan 2017

Pics of the lower hull with flood holes filed out. Plans show flood holes but I just got tired of filing.

Comment

• 598602G
                    Captain
                    • Jan 2017

Resin cast appendages. Used Alumilite Alumires RC-3 resin. Real tough stuff.

Comment

• 598602G
                      Captain
                      • Jan 2017

Upper hull almost done. Don't know why I am posting pics nobody interested. This is going to end soon.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by 598602G
                        Upper hull almost done. Don't know why I am posting pics nobody interested. This is going to end soon.
                        I hear, understand, and well know your frustration at doing all this work only to be rewarded with cricket chirps. It comes with the territory, pal.

Here's the deal, as I know it: I've been writing magazine articles; contributed to books; worked on TV and movie productions; and have spoken at numerous symposiums, panels, and lecture halls about the craft of model building. I'm pretty dammed good at those forms of communications. Yet, the most feed-back I get concerns words miss-used or miss-spelled; my unconventional writing style; my squeaky voice; and questions as to why Ellie and I don't get screen-credit on Guild supported TV and movie productions.

The only salve I can offer you, Tim -- for the apparent lack of attention to your good works here and elsewhere -- is to remind you that our audience comprises fellow introverts, social retards, and self-involved loners…. guy's just like us.
                        We're in a game whose audience is not given to unending expressions of amazement, love, and offers of marriage. You want these Sheldon Cooper types to pat you on the back with a big 'thank-you'? Ain't happening here, my friend.

Model building is pretty much a lone-wolf activity with very little positive feed-back from our fellow model-builders. (in the voice of Walter Cronkite) And that's the way it is.

As to your work: for what it's worth, I like it.

In a few years the Craft -- as we practice it -- will be dead. Surrendered to the robots. You and I, and the few like us -- the last Craftsmen -- get to preside over the funeral.

David
                        Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 07-29-2019, 01:44 PM.
                        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
                          Admiral
                          • Jul 2011

Tim,
                          I did not realize you were the type that needed the constant pat on the back. In fact, I thought the opposite when on another site I asked what the cost of the Vic III would be. Your response was less than friendly. Again, I think your work is wonderful and my friend is waiting to purchase your sub once you say it is ready for purchase. So, for what it is worth, keep up the good work.
                          Peace,
                          Tom
                          If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                            Welcome to my underwater realm!
                            • Aug 2009

Rest assured, Tim, there are lots of people lurking quietly and appreciating the craftsmanship you're exhibiting. In my experience, you'll see a lot of initial interest as people get familiar with your project and ask questions. The in-process stuff is mostly just appreciative watching from afar. They're checking in, no doubt about it. Post up a question or ask an opinion and they'll come out of the woodwork. Most people (and I'm bad for this, too) just won't take the time to post up a, "Looking good, Tim!", even though we're definitely thinking it.

Bob

Comment

• 598602G
                              Captain
                              • Jan 2017

Tom didn't mean to be short with you. Pretty can't stand RCG and those clowns. Not the kind of guy that needs or craves attention. I was showing a big B-58 jet on groups and hardly anyone cared or I got the prima donna rc jet airplane engineers throwing there 2 cents in. Had another unusual Russian jet build on RCU and I had over 6,000 views and hardly a comment. Currently I am also showing a 1/8 Mig-21 jet build on groups but same thing. So I am not even going to show the build from start to finish. Y'all been good to me. I am just under a lot of pressure because I have to take care of my 93 year old mom and build models.

Comment

• trout
                                Admiral
                                • Jul 2011

First, all is forgotten as far as the east is from the west. We unfortunately have little time to understand how someone ticks and in doing that we make wrong assessments. Your work is appreciated and I personally look forward to your postings. I am not making my own hulls (yet), so have little to add. Tom Spettel is the one who wants your kit......Hopefully you and he have talked already.
                                As far as no-one commenting, like David already shared I have seen a ton of this already. Speaking for myself only, I do my builds to hopefully inspire someone to get into the hobby. It would be to easy for me to just say skip it and not post (save myself a ton of time), but people like David who continually share their knowledge with no expectation of a return, taught me a lot and I want to return that to others.
                                Having recently gone through taking care of a mother, I can relate and am sorry you have that on your plate.
                                If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

Working...