Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 598602G
    Captain
    • Jan 2017

I just got a 1/72 688 LA class SSN kit from Bob. Anyone build one of those kits yet?

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

Whoh!, whoh ….. whoh!, there Tom. Didn't I sneak into your room the other day and cut out your kidnys? Oh! …… wait. I'm mistaken, that was someone else.
      Never mind

Tim: You get on the FOXTROT project and I'll assist any way I can. Let's make that beauty happen! We already have a massive head-start:

David
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• 598602G
        Captain
        • Jan 2017

OK Dave the Foxtrot is on. I am making the Victor sails today. Wish I had a way to 3D print those sails as they are a pain in the rectal cavity to make. You got anything for my 1/72 688. Those 688's just came out when I was on boats. Have to go get some shipping boxes for Bob's stuff and your Victor. Soon as I get back I will get a hold of my Russian comrade and order the Foxtrot plans.

Comment

• 598602G
          Captain
          • Jan 2017

Guess I better not change my name to Rick Palumbo.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by 598602G
            OK Dave the Foxtrot is on. I am making the Victor sails today. Wish I had a way to 3D print those sails as they are a pain in the rectal cavity to make. You got anything for my 1/72 688. Those 688's just came out when I was on boats. Have to go get some shipping boxes for Bob's stuff and your Victor. Soon as I get back I will get a hold of my Russian comrade and order the Foxtrot plans.
            For God's sake, Tim! Don't give in to the Dark Side! You got two hands and a brain …… use 'em!

I've only done a comprehensive mast array for the 1/72 THRESHER/PERMIT kit. Nothing for American boats after that class in that scale. Sorry. Here's what I do have -- let me know what you need and I'll cast them up for you, Tim:

David
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• 598602G
              Captain
              • Jan 2017

Dave whatever Thresher masts/parts you think the 688 could use yeah I will take whatever I can get. The 688 kit is real nice. Made in the Czech Republic. I thought I made thick hulls. Put my calipers on the 688 hull and it is .145'. Uses like a pvc sewer pipe for the main hull. Might have to show the build on that. Dave how about you make the sail molds and maybe the appendage molds and I will do the hull. Need to find some pics or drawings that show the hull plating lines because I will mold those in the hull.

Comment

• 598602G
                Captain
                • Jan 2017

Dave your Victor kit should be ready by Wednesday. Going to ship Bob's Victor tomorrow.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Dave your Victor kit should be ready by Wednesday. Going to ship Bob's Victor tomorrow.
                  (joyous squeal of joy like a little girl) Thank you, sir. I'll put it into the rotation. Just as soon as I work out the topside displacement I'll prepare your SD and get it off to you.

David
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

• 598602G
                    Captain
                    • Jan 2017

Cool. I was just checking out the 688 kit. Man that center hull is heavy. It feels like it weighs about 5lbs. Is that going to be OK for a RC sub or am I just going to have to make a epoxy glass hull? That thing gets a direct hit from a depth charge and it won't dent it.

Comment

• 598602G
                      Captain
                      • Jan 2017

Pic of the 688 hull. .145" thick.

Comment

• trout
                        Admiral
                        • Jul 2011

Woof, that is beefy!
                        If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Cool. I was just checking out the 688 kit. Man that center hull is heavy. It feels like it weighs about 5lbs. Is that going to be OK for a RC sub or am I just going to have to make a epoxy glass hull? That thing gets a direct hit from a depth charge and it won't dent it.
                          Well, you're in luck. Modern American single-hull submarines have a ridiculously low reserve buoyancy of about 15% (the later flights of LA's anyway). So the freeboard of your 1/72 LA models hull is about .75". Work the math for volume of water displaced by the above waterline portions of that hull, add to that the displacement of the sail and upper rudder, then crank in 15% because we're dumb-asses, and you get the volume of water we need to move in and out of the ballast tank.

God damn, that's thick!

David
                          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• 598602G
                            Captain
                            • Jan 2017

That hull could almost stop a AK-47 round. I bet those Czechs used schedule 80 pipe instead of schedule 40. Have to go nose around Lowe's and see if I can find a schedule 40 pipe that is exactly 5 1/2" in diameter. Not much in the way of instructions on how to build it but I have it figured out. I will show the build on here. Thanks god I have one of your 7 bladed 65mm props I can use for it.

Comment

Working...