Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 598602G
    Captain
    • Jan 2017

Here is the second sail mold. First one I didn't like. The grey stuff is my mixture of West epoxy, fiberglass powder and aluminum oxide powder. Makes a bullet proof surface coat. Tomorrow I will lay the glass cloth on that and have it done. Waiting on 6oz boating cloth to make the sail. Having a hard time in finishing the Victor as I am splitting my time between it and my Mig-21.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

I'm intrigued with your r/c plane work, Tim. Can you share some pictures of the Mig-21?

David
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• 598602G
        Captain
        • Jan 2017

I was building the Mig-21 a few years ago and gave up. Moved to TX and dusted off the fuse molds. The fuse molds and the cutting templates to cut the foam wing cores was I kept. The rest I threw away. This time Mig is going to be better. I refinished the fuse molds. Ready to make glass fuses this week. Mig-21 is 65" long and has a 35" wingspan. Using a carbon fiber 110mm edf fan. Thing is guys are wanting Mig kits and I can sell way more of those then sub kits.

Comment

• Davidh
          Captain
          • Nov 2010

Keep doing what you do. I agree with the comments about this discipline being one with little acknowledgement beyond our modeling circle. Comments from our fellow model builders mean the most. I sometimes wonder if any one notices the stuff I put up but over time I see the views accumulate, with the odd valued comment. One thing for sure HWSNBN’s contribution is appreciated, even his cajoling.

Our form of creativity is not acknowledged or even respected by the wider community. We aren’t a ‘dime a dozen’ like musicians and dancers, the kind of stuff that saturates our media. We do a solitary pursuit that is as David has mentioned,narrowing, every so often I find a kid at school who is interested...

I know my work has a way to go, but I admit, I love it when someone enquires about one of my kits...

keep going

David h

PS, Nice Fishbed! I do like MiGs.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Davidh
            Keep doing what you do. I agree with the comments about this discipline being one with little acknowledgement beyond our modeling circle. Comments from our fellow model builders mean the most. I sometimes wonder if any one notices the stuff I put up but over time I see the views accumulate, with the odd valued comment. One thing for sure HWSNBN’s contribution is appreciated, even his cajoling.

Our form of creativity is not acknowledged or even respected by the wider community. We aren’t a ‘dime a dozen’ like musicians and dancers, the kind of stuff that saturates our media. We do a solitary pursuit that is as David has mentioned,narrowing, every so often I find a kid at school who is interested...

I know my work has a way to go, but I admit, I love it when someone enquires about one of my kits...

keep going

David h

PS, Nice Fishbed! I do like MiGs.
            Well said, Davidh

I am amazed and shocked at what today's society holds in high regard and what it holds in contempt: Smart kids at school are shoved into lockers and called the most horrible of names; public schools have been dumbed down to day-care status; stupid singers with studs and tattoos are worshipped by vaper sucking retards; dumb-ass talk-show hosts are regarded as paragons of wisdom; Congress critters are elected by constituents who can't read a bubble-gum card. And NASA continues to be a play-thing of government pork producers.

America has turned upside-down. And the first fatalities of this downward slide will be the Craftsmen. Too bad I can't sing and dance and twerk (sorry for that awful visual) maybe that would save me.

David
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• 598602G
              Captain
              • Jan 2017

People are cruel.
              Last edited by 598602G; 07-31-2019, 08:16 AM.

Comment

• Tom Spettel
                Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                • Dec 2009

Tim i have great interest in your victorIII. I just dont want to sound like a broken record. Im on here twice a day checking on progress.. you used aluminum oxid in your
                mold? What does it do? Very nice work
                Last edited by Tom Spettel; 07-31-2019, 04:15 AM.

Comment

• 598602G
                  Captain
                  • Jan 2017

Tom I ordered more cloth and will be here this week. Today I am going to buy more resin.

Comment

• 598602G
                    Captain
                    • Jan 2017

Tom the aluminum oxide powder stiffens the surface coat. A few times I have had to sand down and fix minor flaws in molds and you can see the aluminum powder when I sand. Super hard surface coat. Bullet proof.

Comment

• DMTNT
                      Commander
                      • Jun 2018

Slick work, Tim! Echoing what others have said - I too know how frustrating it is to put the sweat of your life into something and get very little in the way of a reply. Conversely, I’m not great at always providing useful feedback. Partly because I’m still not sure I really deserve to be counted amongst the ranks of you SOB’s.

David, the pessimistic storm cloud that he’s been, makes an unfortunately good point. The talent and creativity shown in this funny little hobby of ours consistently blows me away. You’ve built a beautiful boat thus far - and at 1:72?! Jeeezus.

Not to derail this, but you tugged at my heartstrings the minute you said Large Scale B-58. I want pictures and details right now, ******. That’s one of my all time favorite airplanes. If it’s built even half as well as you’re Victor III, I can’t wait to see your work.

Keep it up!

-Brady
                      Dead men tell no tales...

Comment

• 598602G
                        Captain
                        • Jan 2017

Thanks Brady. The B-58 I made the molds for a glass fuse, engine nacelles and landing gear covers. It is 84" long with a 48" wingspan. Uses four 70mm edf fans. I only made two kits. Sold one and waiting for a guy to buy a kit and the molds. Been working on the Mig-21. Bob bought the Victor molds and the Victor I was working on. Dave is going to get a Victor kit. Once I get a few things done going to start making more boats like a 1/72 Charlie II, 1/72 Echo II and maybe a 1/72 Foxtrot.

Comment

• DMTNT
                          Commander
                          • Jun 2018

Originally posted by 598602G
                          Thanks Brady. The B-58 I made the molds for a glass fuse, engine nacelles and landing gear covers. It is 84" long with a 48" wingspan. Uses four 70mm edf fans. I only made two kits. Sold one and waiting for a guy to buy a kit and the molds. Been working on the Mig-21. Bob bought the Victor molds and the Victor I was working on. Dave is going to get a Victor kit. Once I get a few things done going to start making more boats like a 1/72 Charlie II, 1/72 Echo II and maybe a 1/72 Foxtrot.
                          Good stuff. I’ve read that the -58 was a dream to fly, but was nonetheless a real challenge for pilots. Reminds be a bit like a modern F1 car. Incredible potential for performance, but if you go too fast, it’ll kill you. But if you don’t go fast enough, and it won’t work right, and it’ll find other ways to kill you.

My primary experience with the B-58 was building the somewhat ancient and infamous 1/48 Monogram kit. That thing was born a pain in the ass and hasn’t changed a bit over time. Gorgeous airplane though. Three guys and one giant nuke tied onto an enlarged F-106 wing, driven by the absurd power equivalent of two F-4 Phantoms. I love it.
                          Dead men tell no tales...

Comment

• 598602G
                            Captain
                            • Jan 2017

Guys here is the latest on the Victor. Bob Martin bought the Victor molds and the Victor I am building on here. I am making Dave a Victor kit. I only made 3 Victor kits so I will have one. This week I am going to ship the Victor molds to Bob. So any of you guys that want a Victor III kit contact Bob Martin at Nautilus Drydocks. In a couple of weeks I am going to start making plugs and molds for a 1/72 Charlie II, 1/72 Echo II and a 1/72 Foxtrot if Dave wants me to make the hull molds for that.

Comment

• trout
                              Admiral
                              • Jul 2011

Foxtrot! I will sell a kidney for that one!
                              If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• 598602G
                                Captain
                                • Jan 2017

I have to order the Foxtrot plans. These plans are the most scale/detailed Foxtrot plans. They come from Russia.

Comment

Working...