X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 598602G
    Captain
    • Jan 2017

1/72 Abraham Lincoln SSBN 602 build

Yep just felt the need to build my old boat in what scale? Sorry Scotty just beam aboard. Boat is 63" long with a 5 1/2" beam. Started making the turtle deck separate as I think that is the only true way to build. Going to make molds upper and lower so for you people who live where roo's bug you to death and want one I can always hack the back off a little so it won't cost $600.00 for shipping. Started carving the sail today. I will have some resin casts masts to go with it. Other build I am close to being done on is a 1/72 Thresher.
  • type7
    Lieutenant Commander
    • Apr 2009

A good start!

Comment

• RCSubGuy
      Welcome to my underwater realm!
      • Aug 2009

You got me excited that you were doing the Abraham Lincoln from 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. That would go nicely with our 77th scale Disney Nautilus!

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by SubHuman
        You got me excited that you were doing the Abraham Lincoln from 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. That would go nicely with our 77th scale Disney Nautilus!
        Only a high-ranking clergy from the Church of Goff would make that assumption, sir.

David
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• 598602G
          Captain
          • Jan 2017

Now I am confused

Comment

• 598602G
            Captain
            • Jan 2017

OK guys I haven't forgotten about this boat and the Thresher and November. Been working on my Su-7 jet. My West epoxy resin should show up tomorrow so going to do all 3 at the same time. Just have to push my hangar of airplanes away for a while

Comment

• 598602G
              Captain
              • Jan 2017

I bet you guys thought I gave up on the 598. Nope. Just got side tracked building my Sukhoi jets. Pics of the boat so far. All the appendage molds pretty much done. Have some work on the split stern planes because I ran out of silicone rubber mold stuff. Going to scribe details in sail. Pics or turtle deck before I lay final layer of finish cloth. Hull I will be glassing this weekend. Almost done with 1/72 Thresher goodies. Once I get back to Dallas I am gearing up to do a 1/72 Charlie II, 1/72 Victor III and a 1/72 Yankee II. Yes I said 1/72 Yankee II. That big boy will be 72" long.

Comment

• 598602G
                Captain
                • Jan 2017

Here is what I have so far. Pretty much finish glassing and scribe work then it is mold time.

Comment

• Aug 2008

This monster will be a welcome addition to the fleet.

David
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

• 598602G
                    Captain
                    • Jan 2017

The monster is going to be the 1/72 Yankee II at 72". I just got the vector drawings for that today. I am thinking about redoing the Delta III again only this time 1/72.

Comment

• george
                      Captain
                      • Dec 2010

Why don`t you cross over to 1/96 scale? Easier to handle for one person and easier to ship by you the builder. Less material needed also. Come on Timmy.
                      George

Comment

• 598602G
                        Captain
                        • Jan 2017

Cross overs are for cars Georgie. 1/96 you need a magnifier to see the boat. It is the same thing with my big jets. I went to day to have my Yankee II drawings enlarged to 1/72. Now that is Russian BIG boat. 72.5" long. That will strain your gonads when you pick it up.

Comment

• george
                          Captain
                          • Dec 2010

Hi Tim are you sure your NOT over compensating for some lacking in size by making ONLY 1/72 ? 1/96 can be VERY satisfying for someone who knows how to use it!
                          George

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by george
                            Hi Tim are you sure your NOT over compensating for some lacking in size by making ONLY 1/72 ? 1/96 can be VERY satisfying for someone who knows how to use it!
                            George
                            ... and this thread takes an unexpected and disturbing turn.

David
                            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• 598602G
                              Captain
                              • Jan 2017

Canuks go figure

Comment

Working...