Victor III

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bwi 971
    replied
    I’m sorry that I vanished for a while……..”she who must be obeyed” wanted to renovate the bathroom completely. So “he who’s has no choice” neglected his hobby for over a month. But I’m fine with it honestly (**** mumblemumble).

All necessary pieces are cut now…..allocation and dimensions are marked on masking tape. One day this pile of blocks will turn into a sub.
    Why I cut them all?….well to get the max out of the modeling board with the min amount of waste.
    I made a scheme with the dimensions needed and calculated how they will best fit in the modeling boards I had. Click image for larger version  Name:	2018-05-06 11_37_54-Berekening renshape.xlsx - Excel.jpg Views:	1 Size:	274.5 KB ID:	126222
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Labelite-cut.jpg Views:	1 Size:	382.5 KB ID:	126224
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Labelite-labeled.jpg Views:	1 Size:	409.0 KB ID:	126223

Stern moulds.
    As you will know I like doing things complicated and like designing stuff. Here again I calculated what is the most economic thing to do (as this is not my occupation I don’t give a darn what amount of time I spent doing it):
    • Make the moulds just by pouring a vast amount of silicone into a box or
    • Make the moulds by shaping some modeling board and use a thin jacked of silicone to take the shape of the stern master.
    Both materials are expensive but the most economical was the lather….ok ok I admit I had give it a shot anyway because I liked the challenge of it and it looked like the most fun to do.
    Did it turn out ok? well it was a hell of work, it was challenging, precision was the key. I had to make dowel pins and pockets so the multiple pieces that forms the Articulated mould will fit perfectly together. The master is plain so I needed a caliber to make things hollow. The master is not provided with an index to take the hull parts I had to take that in the design too. But I think It turned out ok. Will it work? I don’t know, I will see in a later stage if it works , if it does not…..we had fun anyway.

Dowel pins and pockets (clearance between them is 0.02 mm) I think I made close to 50 pc of them know....and counting Click image for larger version  Name:	Dowel-pin- fabrication-001.jpg Views:	1 Size:	627.9 KB ID:	126225

Caliber mould, with integrated dummy index lips Click image for larger version  Name:	mould-caliber-001.jpg Views:	1 Size:	491.4 KB ID:	126226

Caliber mould end plate, after casting it will become one with the caliber and fitted on the mould masters to make the cast of the part hollow. Click image for larger version  Name:	mould-caliber-base.jpg Views:	1 Size:	428.6 KB ID:	126227

The articulated caliber mould in different stages of assembly Click image for larger version  Name:	muld-caliber-004.jpg Views:	1 Size:	251.2 KB ID:	126228
    Click image for larger version  Name:	mould-caliber-003.jpg Views:	1 Size:	440.8 KB ID:	126229
    Click image for larger version  Name:	mould-caliber-004.jpg Views:	1 Size:	389.2 KB ID:	126230

Mould master base plate, the silicone sleeve inside need to be casted in both mould master halves, so I needed a base plate to do it. Click image for larger version  Name:	Mould-base-plate.jpg Views:	1 Size:	423.3 KB ID:	126231

Base plate fitted to one of the master halves Click image for larger version  Name:	mould-part-halve-001.jpg Views:	1 Size:	383.6 KB ID:	126232
    Click image for larger version  Name:	mould-part-halve-002.jpg Views:	1 Size:	451.1 KB ID:	126233

the articulated master mould assembly Click image for larger version  Name:	mould-masters-003.jpg Views:	1 Size:	477.4 KB ID:	126234
    Click image for larger version  Name:	mould-masters-004.jpg Views:	1 Size:	498.3 KB ID:	126235

All parts of the moulds Click image for larger version  Name:	Articulated moulds.jpg Views:	1 Size:	423.5 KB ID:	126236

Thats it for now,

Grtz,
    Bart
    Last edited by bwi 971; 05-06-2018, 03:20 PM.

Leave a comment:

• bwi 971
    replied
    I'm currently gently rocking in a corner trying to process all this.

Grtz,
    Bart

Leave a comment:

• HardRock
    replied
    Pop!!! And there's another mental image for the catalogue. (Bart appears to be smiling however).

Leave a comment:

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
    replied
    Originally posted by Trident
    I am very eagerly following this project. Not quite getting wood like Dave but still excited about this project. Dave and I have had many conversations that the Victor III is one of the best looking USSR boats and was wanting one in 1/96 scale. You are doing very good work and I look forward to seeing the final model.
    Kevin and I have been associates in this game for a very long time. Friends and Craftsmen. And whenever we discuss 'future' projects we always start the conversation with the VICTOR-3 in 1/96 scale. However, other projects always intervened.

With Bart's project now underway, both Kevin and I are delighted to see this beast finally taking shape and the project being helmed by one of Europe's best model builders in this game.

Go get 'em, Bart!

(now, does anyone have a crow-bar?? ... need it to get my nose out of Bart's butt)

David

Leave a comment:

• Trident
    replied
    I am very eagerly following this project. Not quite getting wood like Dave but still excited about this project. Dave and I have had many conversations that the Victor III is one of the best looking USSR boats and was wanting one in 1/96 scale. You are doing very good work and I look forward to seeing the final model.

Leave a comment:

• bwi 971
    replied
    Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
    Oh, man! This is really shaping up, Bart. The creeper shaft farings actually gave me wood. This is going to be a beauty!

David

Damn....you got me good here......how do I suppose to work on it without this mental picture popping up each time I even look at it.....this will take long to vanish..
    Grtz,
    Bart

Leave a comment:

• HardRock
    replied
    "The creeper shaft farings actually gave me wood." There's yet another image that I will never be able to unimagine. The horror; the horror.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Oh, man! This is really shaping up, Bart. The creeper shaft farings actually gave me wood. This is going to be a beauty!

David

Leave a comment:

• bwi 971
    replied
    I’m working as hard as I can gents.
    Test fitting all the parts for the stern. No real issues found.

Now the most time-consuming part to be dealt with, the alinement of the planes and rudders.
    Lessons learned from my AKULA, don't forget to give enough clearance to compensate for the primer that will be applied later and for the final paint coat applied when she will be finished.

Grtz,
    Bart

Click image for larger version

Name:	Stern Assembly (3)001.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	526.8 KB
ID:	125468

Name:	Stern assembly001.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	509.4 KB
ID:	125467

Name:	Stern Assembly (2)002.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	501.7 KB
ID:	125466

Leave a comment:

• HardRock
    replied
    Envey be my constant friend.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by HardRock
    Ooh ooh ooh, Victor III, (unintentional squeel of joy). Can't wait to see this this one happen. Great work Mate.
    It will make the perfect companion to this:

David

Leave a comment:

• HardRock
    replied
    Ooh ooh ooh, Victor III, (unintentional squeel of joy). Can't wait to see this this one happen. Great work Mate.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Good looking work as usual, Bart.

David

Leave a comment:

• bwi 971
    replied
    The rough towed array pod.
    She is now resting in the "ready to paint and finish" box.
    missing but not forgotten, bushing for rudder, towed array exit hole, hatches

Grtz,
    Bart

Name:	Towed Array Pod (7)001.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	522.5 KB
ID:	125268

Name:	Towed Array Pod (6)007.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	489.0 KB
ID:	125267

Name:	Towed Array Pod (2)003.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	379.5 KB
ID:	125266

Name:	Towed Array Pod (4)005.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	261.2 KB
ID:	125269

Name:	Towed Array Pod (5)006.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	416.7 KB
ID:	125270

Leave a comment:

• HardRock
    replied
    Never mind WHERE it is - who let Darth Vader in there!

Leave a comment:

Working...