Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Greevesman
    Uh oh. Mobius skipjack is a tongue and groove joint. tongue is on the bottom. Gaps are not vey big of very long. Maybe some very slow curing putty and saran wrap on top. Do small areas?
    The edge tightening on this model are only locale fixes -- usually the transition points between longitudinal and radial hull half edges -- not the entire length of the break between hull halves. On those areas you fix you'll loose the tongue-and-groove union. No sweat.

David
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Greevesman
      Ensign
      • Dec 2016

I think careful work with sanding block and fine files. Most areas are only a few inches in length.. I am getting some waviness at the main glue joint. I think I read about that somewhere. How long before that settles down?

Comment

• Aug 2008

I think careful work with sanding block and fine files. Most areas are only a few inches in length.. I am getting some waviness at the main glue joint. I think I read about that somewhere. How long before that settles down?
        About 60 days if it was a gel type glue.

David
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Greevesman
          Ensign
          • Dec 2016

I did what your manual said, Liquid followed by gel. So don't fair that area for two months.

Comment

• Aug 2008

I did what your manual said, Liquid followed by gel. So don't fair that area for two months.
            That's right, keep it in primer gray as you run it through sea-trials. Come late April (by then all the glues solvents will have evaporated out) fill the 'wrinkles' with some filler, block sand, overcoat with thin CA, prime and repeat till everything's smooth and paint that sucker!

David
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Greevesman
              Ensign
              • Dec 2016

Do I need to prime it for sea trials? Just leave it bare plastic until it is running right?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Do I need to prime it for sea trials? Just leave it bare plastic until it is running right?
                Sure, the crummier looking the better -- drive it like a rental, then when everything's working paint it like a museum piece. That's what I do

First open-water testing of an extensively modified 1/60 scale, SubTech ALBACORE model submarine

First run of the first assembled kit from the recently purchased Small World Models r/c submarine tooling. This (still in primer-gray) 1/96 BLUEBACK is seen ...

David
                Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 02-09-2017, 01:04 PM.
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Greevesman
                  Ensign
                  • Dec 2016

Nice! Today was raining and no one was here so I decided to fit the top to the bottom. Marked out tight spots then sanded the joint.surface in that area that area with a hard block. Not much at a time, maybe 15 strokes, clean out the groove and test fit. Repeat. The tight spots in the front were preventing a good fit in the aft end of the joint. Kept at it until I felt the fit was good. A lot better than I ever expected. I don't expect to have to use very much filler if any on the horizontal joint. Plan on staying away from the vertical joint until it settles down. I guess I need to upload files as "Large". Thanks for your help David

Comment

• Greevesman
                    Ensign
                    • Dec 2016

I am about to start working on the sub driver on my skipjack.. The hull is looking really good.
                    Do the fairwater planes piggyback on the stern plane servo/pushrod or does it need its own servo?
                    On the two stern yokes, I am assuming the pushrod mounts on the hole furthest out to slow the travel. Is that correct?
                    Need to finish the driveshaft. I have the brass part that came with the fittings kit and a length of the correct size tubing. What do I need to buy from Dumas to complete the driveshaft. Their website is not clear. Part number?
                    Thanks.

Comment

• greenman407
                      Admiral
                      • Feb 2009

The fairwater planes need their own servo. It sounds like you need a Dumas Dogbone to complete your drive shaft. Nautilus Drydocks should have them. Ill look for a link
                      IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• greenman407
                        Admiral
                        • Feb 2009

Go to Nautilusdrydocks.com Under the heading "Shop" go down to "props, bearings and seals. There is a dialog box where you can leave your info and Bob will see if He has any. Sounds like you need a 3/16" dumas dogbone. You cut it in half and attach it to each end of your drive shaft with CA and a cross drilled pin.

Comment

• greenman407
                          Admiral
                          • Feb 2009

The link in the next window will take you to page one, from there go to page 24 and 25 for more info on your current problem
                          Last edited by greenman407; 02-13-2017, 09:17 PM.

Comment

• greenman407
                            Admiral
                            • Feb 2009

Here is my Skipjack build page one. I think youll find it quite detailed.
                            We welcome all your projects here, regardless of the model manufacturer. You can upload photographs to your own album and display them here.

Comment

• Greevesman
                              Ensign
                              • Dec 2016

Thank You! I bookmarked your page and will go thru it and I'm sure, learn!

Comment

• Greevesman
                                Ensign
                                • Dec 2016

Greenman407, I have read thru about half of your thread and have a couple of questions regarding the fairwater plane linkage you installed. There are photos around page 24, I think, showing a clevis you had modified with a larger hole and a control rod which is contained in an orange sheath/cover. I like the look of that system. How did it work out for you? Where can I get the parts your used? Du=Bro? Do you have part numbers? Any corrosion issues?
                                THANKS

Comment

Working...