Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by bwi 971

OOOOOH NOOOOOO.......that will mean no dust, no fumes, no scribing, no primer, no sanding, no primer, no sanding, no primer, no sanding……….........did I mention no sanding? .......What's wrong with you people.

Nice looking model Redboat….and a great Idea if you go for a one ping boat….I have to do at least 2 of them.

Grtz,
    Bart
    That's right! ... no worky, no ticki! Blow your lungs out on primer dust. It's the American way!

Greg Sharpe is one of the greats in this game, his work graced many a page in the SCR and other publications. Not only an excellent modeler of actual prototypes, he also produced fanciful 'what if' type submarines. One in particular, his SEAVIEWSKI -- a what-if the Russian's had their own version of the SEAVIEW. Stunning work all around. A true submarine nut-ball, here's the boy with a watertight transmitter of his own manufacture and his book version of Vern's NAUTILUS.

Click image for larger version

Name:	th?&id=OIP.M6575887f5d055d0cf2d263d1c649a904o0&w=285&h=187&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0&r=0.jpeg
Views:	166
Size:	5.2 KB
ID:	116264

However, I so wish Greg had dropped the other shoe and extended the stern on his SKIPJACK/BELUGA conversion into a proper Hogner stem; that would have enhanced the Russian flavor of the subject.

... Something our Belgium friend won't miss. Can's wait to see what Bart the Magnificent comes up with as he slaps the ALBACORESKI together.

Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
      Admiral
      • Jul 2011

I was getting over the mental picture of lipstick Tom.
      BtM (Bart the Magnificiant), between David's colorful creative phrases and my imagery, we can always come up with another something for you to scrub out of your mind! It seems to be a gift here.

If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• zhuravlik
        Lieutenant
        • Mar 2011

Juicy:http://forums.airbase.ru/2011/06/t81...ekta-1710.html

Red boat, you convinced me! I can see myself ordering a sub driver (hear hear) and a Skipjack for Christmas!

Dave, where can I get more info about Greg's watertight transmitter?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by zhuravlik
          Juicy:http://forums.airbase.ru/2011/06/t81...ekta-1710.html

Red boat, you convinced me! I can see myself ordering a sub driver (hear hear) and a Skipjack for Christmas!

Dave, where can I get more info about Greg's watertight transmitter?
          An old issue of the SCR, which one, I don't know. Greg's been out of the game for some time.

David

Attached Files
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• QuarterMaster
            Rear Admiral
            • Sep 2015

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

An old issue of the SCR, which one, I don't know. Greg's been out of the game for some time.

David
            SCR #9, June 1992, Page 18.
            I remember it soooo well. Not that I'd ever sit at the bottom of a lake in a lawn chair!
            Last edited by QuarterMaster; 09-27-2016, 08:57 AM.
            v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
            NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
            USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

• bwi 971
              Captain
              • Jan 2015

David, can one scribe in Renshape 450?

I know it cost a buck but I need good production time on this sucker, the use of tooling board as a material is in my opinion a timesaver……......4 years like on the AKULA is not an option........I have a pretty cramped wishlist that I want to empty.

Grtz,
              Bart
              Practical wisdom is only to be learned in the school of experience.
              "Samuel Smiles"

Comment

• Aug 2008

David, can one scribe in Renshape 450?

I know it cost a buck but I need good production time on this sucker, the use of tooling board as a material is in my opinion a timesaver……......4 years like on the AKULA is not an option........I have a pretty cramped wishlist that I want to empty.

Grtz,
                Bart
                Bart,

It's the ideal model making medium, the very dense expanded polyurethane board is expensive, but it's perfect as a model building raw material: Consistent density and other properties throughout the log; takes to primer and adhesives aggressively; is easy to machine and scribe; and not at all responsive to normal temperature and humidity changes.

I use the large-cell dense Renshape (20 lbs. per cubic foot) for basic hull fabrication. Turns and cuts like butter. However, it has a rough, soft surface which must be filled before it will take primer and produce a smooth surface:

Name:	DSCN0001 (2).JPG
Views:	232
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	116292 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0009.JPG
Views:	228
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	116293 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0086.JPG
Views:	225
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	116297

The small-cell type of RenShape (40 lbs per cubic foot) I use for small parts and masters. After sanding it ready to take primer without any filler or putty, the bubbles are that tightly packed. This is what the dense Renshape looks like:

Name:	DSCN0028.JPG
Views:	256
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	116294 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0024.JPG
Views:	231
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	116295 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0121 (2).JPG
Views:	238
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	116296

Money well spent on this stuff! I you have to sweat the money you spend on this hobby ... then, you're in the wrong hobby!

M
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• bwi 971
                  Captain
                  • Jan 2015

Ok well understood, thks.
                  I'm going all the way with support of “she who must be obeyed”....Yes I know I'm a lucky SOB and she is the best.......after reading this you will understand this message will self-destruct in ten, nine, eight,......

Grtz,
                  Bart
                  Practical wisdom is only to be learned in the school of experience.
                  "Samuel Smiles"

Comment

• gantu
                    Commander
                    • Apr 2009

Regards Gantu

Comment

Working...