Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MFR1964
    Detail Nut of the First Order
    • Sep 2010

The beast is alive!!!!!!, it wiggled it's tail, see for yourself.

Manfred.
    I went underground

Comment

• MFR1964
      • Sep 2010

It has been a long time and she's covered by dust, but i'm heating up this project for some more progress, is it possible to move this thread to Builder Threads?

Manfred.
      I went underground

Comment

• MFR1964
        • Sep 2010

Talking about dust, she must have been untouched for two years, no fear !!!, i've cleaned her up bright and shiny.

Started again with that doomed tail, i noticed that the rudder was a bit small, certainly not scale, took up the task to make me a new one, cladded with aluminum foil and some rivets, next time the dive-planes.

Manfred.
        I went underground

Comment

• MFR1964
          • Sep 2010

It took me some time, but the complete rear is cladded with aluminum foil, still have to add the rivets to the underside of the rear, pictures, and get your sun-glasses on, it's blinking.

It's tedious work, but the result is worth it, this the upperpart.

Flipped the boat upside down, and started on the underside.

By constant rotating the hull i worked my way around with the aluminum foil.

But once everything is done, you get this as the result for the underside, still have to do the rivetpart thingy, but there's light at the end of the tunnel.
          The cladding took me some weeks, did this step after step, because the swearingtin was filled up to the top.

Manfred.
          I went underground

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
            • Aug 2008

Oh, man! You maniac!!!!! I so hate you today. You're doing your documentation proud, pal. YOU are the gold-standard in the detailing department.

M
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• MFR1964
              • Sep 2010

Hah!!!!, it seems your knee is making you grumpy, get it fixed!!!,crawl, walk and run my friend, there's more to come, be patient (or not, i don't care)

Manfred.
              I went underground

Comment

• Aug 2008

Looking at those stern planes. Did you cank in some tab differential to counter propeller torque????

M
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• MFR1964
                  • Sep 2010

You mean the tapering at the base of the sternplanes?, if so, this has happened due to the fact of hiding those sliding rods, needed some more height.

Manfred.
                  I went underground

Comment

• trout
                    Admiral
                    • Jul 2011

If I understand what David is asking, are the stern planes not in alignment (one slightly up and one slightly down) to offset the torque of the prop? Is that what you meant to David?

You got it, Tom.

M
                    Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 01-04-2015, 04:05 PM.
                    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• MFR1964
                      • Sep 2010

Ah, to relieve you guys, no, they are aligned, due to cladding the aluminum foil, one went up the other went down, normally they stand neutral, for encountering the torque issue i'll follow the same path as i did with the V80.
                      This boat has also a simular cross section at the rear, i simply putted the heaviest parts the lowest inside the hull, she stands like a rock, even in tight turns.

Manfred,
                      I went underground

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by MFR1964
                        Ah, to relieve you guys, no, they are aligned, due to cladding the aluminum foil, one went up the other went down, normally they stand neutral, for encountering the torque issue i'll follow the same path as i did with the V80.
                        This boat has also a simular cross section at the rear, i simply putted the heaviest parts the lowest inside the hull, she stands like a rock, even in tight turns.

Manfred,
                        Thanks, Manfred. That answers.

M
                        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Von Hilde
                          Rear Admiral
                          • Oct 2011

I was wondering what the purpose of the foiling? Im tuning late to this post, but the idea, gave me another idea. I use gold and silver leaf quit a bit in my signage business. It is rather pricey if you use the 22kt actual gold leaf, but there are quite a few synthetics in various metals, silver, copper, bronze, ect. I used the silver on a model of the "spirit of st louis" for one of my son's elementry school history projects, some many years ago. I burnished the cowling with a small pencil eraser, by hand. The effect turned out real well. I may try some antique bronze on plastic props.

Comment

• MFR1964
                            • Sep 2010

Von,

This way i can make my rivets visible, and as a bonus you get real panel-lines instead of scribed one's.

Manfred.
                            I went underground

Comment

• Von Hilde
                              Rear Admiral
                              • Oct 2011

Originally posted by MFR1964
                              Von,

This way i can make my rivets visible, and as a bonus you get real panel-lines instead of scribed one's.

Manfred.
                              Verry good sir. I did a similar laminate, on a wood plug hull for the same reason. I used sheet aluminium and fitted each pannel. No rivets tho. I have used beer can aluminium, that I made rivet lines from the backside, by pressing a fine tooth saw blade on the metal before installing the piece.

Comment

Working...