X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Albion
    Captain
    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by redboat219
    Will you be making the snorkel mast retractable?
    nice idea, but no!
    Next time someone points out it takes 42 muscles to frown, point out it will only take 4 muscles to b1tch slap them if they tell you how mnay muscles you need to smile:pop

Comment

• Albion
      Captain
      • Dec 2008

Another step nearer, ballast tank full
      Attached Files
      Next time someone points out it takes 42 muscles to frown, point out it will only take 4 muscles to b1tch slap them if they tell you how mnay muscles you need to smile:pop

Comment

• ADDINGTON
        Lieutenant
        • Sep 2008

Could you please estimate total weight of lead you used for ballast, and general distribution?
        I realize your build is unique with the snorkel, but I am also in the bathtub trial phase and am curious.
        Thanks,
        Kerry

Comment

• redboat219
          Admiral
          • Dec 2008

Albion other than a swimming pool where do you sail your subs in Singapore?
          Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• oztruck
            Commander
            • May 2010

Sitting nice. How does it sit when empty?

Cheers Chris

Comment

• Albion
              Captain
              • Dec 2008

Oz - above waterline , im being more critical about getting a good submerged trim with tip of periscope/ snorkel above water. With some features missing this is as far as i want to go right now, as i add the snorkel, sail details etc the hull will sit lower.

Redboat - no access to pools right now so im brown water sailing in the reservoirs, of which some allow access.

Lower Seletar is easiest as i can park close by, but v deep water, wouldn't want to lose one there.
              Pandan reservoir has nice small area which isn't too deep, but also isnt very wide, kind of safe check out, but long walk from carpark

Addington see photos. Note the brass parts are heavy, and also the thicker prop shaft and brass props all add up. i don't have a lot of lead in mine, and could probably remove more from the rear middle section to reduce the foam at the rear (I did try to pry at it the other day, but i risked breaking the hull, so might need to drill some of it out. Both ballast bulges are full of foam, and there's some more from stern which is not shown

I'm please with the brass work, but the stern area could do with some weight reduction
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Albion; 01-25-2012, 12:31 AM.

Comment

• redboat219
                Admiral
                • Dec 2008

Hey Albion, any updates on your boat? Got any new photos?

Comment

• redboat219
                  Admiral
                  • Dec 2008

What every happened to your boat?

Comment

• Albion
                    Captain
                    • Dec 2008

It's sat on the shelf looking down at me, I finally got the decks and tower nicely secured with magnets. Everything is really good to go, just needs about a day of love to wrap it up. Unfortunately it's my ginger haired child, at this size it's very tight to get fingers in there, so I've been pushing it back. Currently plans are

Finish permit wtc and install , couple small tasks to finalise.
                    Dirty up the M1 and reassemble the linkages and drive shafts. Took ages getting the wavy camo paint right, so I'm nervous about weathering this in case some paint goes down wrong and I need to start from scratch.
                    Lastly finish the damn kilo, I mean type VII

Went up stairs, got it off the shelf, Stb front plane had snapped, forgot I needed to fix that, and I stole the Dumas coupling hubs for the M1, I only have one pair which are opened out to 5mm ;)
                    Last edited by Albion; 07-19-2015, 07:31 PM.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Albion
                      It's sat on the shelf looking down at me, I finally got the decks and tower nicely secured with magnets. Everything is really good to go, just needs about a day of love to wrap it up. Unfortunately it's my ginger haired child, at this size it's very tight to get fingers in there, so I've been pushing it back. Currently plans are

Finish permit wtc and install , couple small tasks to finalise.
                      Dirty up the M1 and reassemble the linkages and drive shafts. Took ages getting the wavy camo paint right, so I'm nervous about weathering this in case some paint goes down wrong and I need to start from scratch.
                      Lastly finish the damn kilo, I mean type VII

Went up stairs, got it off the shelf, Stb front plane had snapped, forgot I needed to fix that, and I stole the Dumas coupling hubs for the M1, I only have one pair which are opened out to 5mm ;)

Don't fret, here's how you 'protect' the underlying coat of paint: On that god-awful M-1 of yours, lay down a heavy coat of clear. Then do your worst with weathering agents over that. You screw the job up, just scrub off the weathering with some fine sandpaper -- removes the weathering an a bit of the clear coat, but the underlying paint job is saved. If you need a second go at it, just lay down another clear coat and try again.

I also caught the KILO blast at Romel. Ha!

M
                      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Albion
                        Captain
                        • Dec 2008

Good thinking Batman I like it, I will lay down some 'clear tonight', and at least this post reminded me to get some more couplers and fix the fwd plane.

The boss forced me into a big spring clean last weekend, which meant i found a few parts which were forgotten / lost :) Also the Special navy Type II which was still hiding in its box, plus all the remaining Type VII fittings and parts which i had jammed in the box with it - result
                        Last edited by Albion; 07-19-2015, 10:46 PM.

Comment

Working...