X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Albion
    Captain
    • Dec 2008

Type VII Build

Having failed to get a RCABS working on this hull I bit the bullet and went snort. The use of the snort pump with the gas tank is a big step forward, and means you could use this in a pool without using any gas makes for an attractive package.

Before moving on to the new WTC, a quick review of where the hull is up to. I started this way before the fittings kit was even conceived, so it’s all using the kit appendages.
    In my usual style, everything is over engineered and strengthened. Once I get a bit further on, I will profile the brass parts so they look more in scale. Strength has already been proven after one of the cats knocked the hull off the desk, it landed on the stern and slightly misaligned some parts but otherwise it escaped. Also shown is my A123 battery pack
    Attached Files
    Next time someone points out it takes 42 muscles to frown, point out it will only take 4 muscles to b1tch slap them if they tell you how mnay muscles you need to smile:pop
  • Albion
    Captain
    • Dec 2008

Being a cheap skate I decided to buy the kit and assemble myself, can’t be hard can it, the motors and servos are already assembled along with the seals, so it’s a doddle.

Hmm on opening up the packaging and looking at what’s included there is a daunting variety of parts and screws. I remembered there was a thread about building a sub driver, so went to that and gradually got a picture for how it all goes together.

Step one was to connect up power to the ESC, and RX and ensure it was all working, as you may have seen on another thread I have a minor compatibility issue with the RX and the ADF, but otherwise all working ok.

Step two was to get the ballast tank assembled, something which I thought was going to be a mother of a job, however Tuesday was a public holiday, so I sat down and made a start. Aside from a couple of schoolboy errors (one bulkhead back to front, gas tank in wrong way round [there’s a cut out to clear the conduit]) the whole lot was together in less than an hour, and that included coffee, mistakes and general laziness 

I also fitted a switch to the dry forward end cap. Drilled a hole to accept the threaded part, then a slightly bigger recess, which I then dremmeled out into a rectangle to accept the switch body. Also drilled out the wiring strain relief block and epoxied it into place. Need to get some more silicon wire, and finish up the wiring now.

Lastly the snort manifold was slightly misaligned, so I opened the holes up and prepped this for attaching to main bulkhead
    Attached Files
    Next time someone points out it takes 42 muscles to frown, point out it will only take 4 muscles to b1tch slap them if they tell you how mnay muscles you need to smile:pop

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

Congratulations, Doctor Meacham. You have successfully assembled your Interocitor. A rare achievement, indeed.

And, in so doing, you have passed our test.

Report to the air-field tomorrow morning for your flight to our facility.

Looking forward to meeting you.

Exeter,
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• oztruck
        Commander
        • May 2010

Impressive. Looks like you are having a lot of fun. Keep the photos coming

Comment

• Albion
          Captain
          • Dec 2008

Not much this weekend, had a wedding Saturday. Anyways tested the ballast tank, and firstly noted it holds just shy of 250ml, not bad considering.

Then noticed i had water getting into engine room area. Looking at the o ring it seemed to be seated ok, but there was just a whisper of water passing the o ring. Took the bulkhead screws out and wiggled the bulkhead and tried again, this time no leak. i suspect one of the screws was just pulling the lexan tube out of shape, and so i've backed off the screws a bit, they are only for axial location anyway.

Need to resolve the Rx problem now and get some wire.
          Last edited by Albion; 05-22-2011, 07:56 AM.

Comment

• Albion
            Captain
            • Dec 2008

WTC nearly assembled. Need to relocate the snort pump as the hoses are being blocked by the ballast servo. Also vent valve is leaving, do you need quite a bit of force to hold this shut???

Lastly with the WTC central lengthways in the hull and just off the bottom of the hull, the WTC shaft ends are about 1 1/4" from the output shafts, but with around 1/2" offset. Is this normal, looks like im going to have a noisy transmission with that kind of offset

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
              • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Albion
              WTC nearly assembled. Need to relocate the snort pump as the hoses are being blocked by the ballast servo. Also vent valve is leaving, do you need quite a bit of force to hold this shut???

Lastly with the WTC central lengthways in the hull and just off the bottom of the hull, the WTC shaft ends are about 1 1/4" from the output shafts, but with around 1/2" offset. Is this normal, looks like im going to have a noisy transmission with that kind of offset
              Your running gear, from SD to shafts, should look like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0156.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	63326Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0162.jpg
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	63327Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0136.jpg
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	63328
              Last edited by Kazzer; 12-21-2011, 01:53 PM. Reason: Author hasn't learned to post large photos!
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Albion
                Captain
                • Dec 2008

Looks like the drive shafts from the WTC are just beyond the rear of where the saddle tanks fair into main hull. If thats the case i should have enough spacer length.

Here's the assembled WTC now using the sombra SL-8 which works flawlessly with the ADF.

Still slightly leaking through vent valve, which also doesn't seem to open very well. but we are getting there
                Attached Files

Comment

• beeryboats
                  Lieutenant Commander
                  • Jun 2011

Thanks to all your photos, I've found out where a couple of the parts to my Gato are supposed to be used! The wire strain block is for the switch and the dog bone with set screws is for the forward planes. I swear, building this sub is like putting together a puzzle without a box top photo to guide you. I think it makes a better builder out of you. It makes you really think.

Comment

• Albion
                    Captain
                    • Dec 2008

Im Snorting :)

Geez, i was having a really bad time with the vent valve, i was getting leaks or not venting at all. I was at stalemate. So i went back to the transmission side of things. I got my drive shafts remade. Re aligned my inboard bearings and generally made the boat more tidy (remember I'm not using the fittings kit! I got the WTC nicely installed in the hull, and realised they way forward now was to finish the WTC. I was glancing over the caswell website and found this

Doh, this is exactly what i needed, so three things to adjust
                    Wheel collars
                    Schrader valve ( I didnt know this, double doh)
                    and lastly the the vent valve itself.

Not realising the second part i was trying to make the vent valve work in harmony with the schrader, not realising the schrader could be moved. As David says in the video, last resort is the vent valve. I had been taking my vent valve on and off and resealing it and losing a day every time.

Anyway a couple of hours (i had to reset the RX and the ADF) and every thing is working well. Should be able to get it properly wet after christmas :)

The snort manifold on top of the WTC is sat with its RTV drying right now
                    Last edited by Albion; 12-19-2011, 09:15 AM.

Comment

• oztruck
                      Commander
                      • May 2010

Good to hear you have had a win. Don't forget to take your camera with you when you get the boat wet.

Without photos it didn't happen!!

Cheers Chris

Comment

• redboat219
                        Admiral
                        • Dec 2008

Albion,
                        Did you also get David's fittings kit or just the SD unit?
                        If you didn't, whose props are those?
                        Have you already made the twin rudder turning mechanism?
                        Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• Albion
                          Captain
                          • Dec 2008

When i started the fittings kit wasn't around, those are Raboesch props. 5mm screwed. Im using engel shafts, and engel bearings.

will post some photos of my twin rudder setup soon. Not as neat as the gear system, and its not parallel on full turn, but do i care :) Cut down wheel collars, brass rod and some soldering

Comment

• Albion
                            Captain
                            • Dec 2008

slowly slowly. some brackets to hold velcro strap in place and hold the WTC tight. You might think the snort is in wrong place, however im building a Snorkel type VII, so using the snorkel mast for snorting

Then the guards for the bow planes, again im using brass to avoid anything snapping off :)

Also shown is the twin rudder control
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Albion; 01-15-2012, 08:31 AM.

Comment

• redboat219
                              Admiral
                              • Dec 2008

Will you be making the snorkel mast retractable?
                              Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

Working...