No longer will I settle for paltry PLA, or even PTEG, it's ABS, ASA. PA-CF or bust.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • QuarterMaster
    Rear Admiral
    • Sep 2015

No longer will I settle for paltry PLA, or even PTEG, it's ABS, ASA. PA-CF or bust.

With my Snapmaker 2.0 now failing to print adequate ABS structural parts, and with all that OT I've been working since January, I bit the bullet and ordered this:

Bambu Lab X1-Carbon Combo 3D Printer

Got here yesterday (6 days from China). Takes about 30-45 minutes to set up. I'll leave it up to you to see what it came with, but I also ordered 3 additional ABS spools to use in that AMS unit. I prefer ABS due to it's finishing/Strengthening capability with an Acetone Vapor bath.

I "print build" most everything now but a hull itself because I prefer GRP hulls, period. If I were to do that I'd bite the $$ bullet and use the more expensive PA-CF (Nylon Carbon Fiber).

Here's why:
    Bambu Lab X1 Carbon 3D Printer Review | Prints Nylon

My No. 2 priority (after Functionality) Is Durability, Cyberdyne Systems Model 101 TERMINATOR grade survivability.

Set up and use is so freakin' easy even a Boomer like our "resident Luddite" can do it! It walks you through it. Even if something goes south, it will not only tell you, but it points to steps to resolve the issue.. The 4 Spool AMS holder automatically knows color and type of filament is loaded when you use Bambu's Filament. Which I will as I'm guaranteed it's engineered for the product. Look, I dig $$ is a factor, but so is loss due to wasted time. MY time. This thing just takes all the guess work out!

I'm not going to go through the Specs/features like an Ad here, you can do that at their website and/or YouTube. But if you're looking for a new printer, tired of tweaking (understand if that's your thing), or wasting more time to get that print, then take a hard look at this. In my not so humble opinion if you can live with a 256mm3 Build volume, you can get a hull diameter on the order of 10" if you want.

If you're new to filament printing, take a GOOD look at this brand, seriously. Even the entry level would be adequate for those that would print PLA hulls. I jumped to the Flagship only because I wanted the flexibility of printing most any material tailored to a requirement. Of course the discretionary spending OT $$ helped.

Ran the ubiquitous #3DBenchy test. Default settings with their PLA Basic Filament This thing is fast. 25 minutes! It was just so darn easy! Allowing it too cool it practically fell off the build plate!

Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20240524_030635693.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	180292

Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20240524_031542758.MP.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	180293

I don't normally "rave" about products, doing so only when I really feel it's worth it. This is worth it.

Right now I'm having an old spool of generic ABS+ drying in it, yes it will dry your filament too, which I just discovered is actually critical for good prints. The AMS Spool holder has room for desiccant allowing your filament to be ready to go. FWIW, I also purchased a 2 spool filament dryer.

I'll give updates on this new printer journey, and may give a walk through at a Dive Tribe should Bob permit.

I yet to load and look at it's slicer, the Bambu Studio, I'll let you know about that.

I'm compiling a list of the "good" YT videos worth watching to share on this as well.

But I'm really excited about this one folks, more so than in a while with filament printing.

The Snapmaker is now slated for CnC or laser engraving only lol!

v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
    NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
    USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS
  • CC Clarke
    Commander
    • Aug 2020

If I were to get an FDM printer, Bambu Labs is the leader at the moment, blowing away much higher-priced competition, like Raise3D, which I used exclisivelyy for years. I can't see a use for their multi-color feeder as I never used the second nozzle feed on any other printer to change colors mid-print.

FDM printers are good for fixtures, (press-fit is possible) bulkheads, and simple shapes where small details aren't important. Once I started printing in resin with sub-50 nm resolution, I changed course. Both technologies complement one another.

Any CF printed hull is begging for TX/RX issues though.

Comment

• tifosi12
      Commander
      • Jul 2020

I believe the Bambu printer is what a friend of mine got and it cut down printing times dramatically.

I don't care much about finish and level of detail but reducing printing (aka baby sitting) time is key to me.

Comment

• Subculture
        Admiral
        • Feb 2009

For speed look for CoreXY printers, that's what Bambu are using amongst others.

Some seem to be having speed races, although quality not great at such extreme speeds.

Last edited by Subculture; 05-25-2024, 03:56 PM.

Comment

• QuarterMaster
          Rear Admiral
          • Sep 2015

Latest updates shipmates...

Needless to say, first set of prints are remarkable! Now granted only time will tell, but this unit is exceeding expectations.

After watching many videos on unboxing, reviews, how-to's and what not, I decided to start with Dessicant holders to insure my filament stays dry. Watching all these taught me the need for drying and keeping dry your filament. I realize this was part of the issue in the past including my PLA prints. I never gave it a thought until this printer just jamming filament in and running with it! Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks? I won't go into the how's and why of Filament care and feeding, but suggest you look it up on YT.

Now onto the Filament prints.

ALL of these are Generic grey ABS from Amazon. The spool was purchased back in January, and wouldn't even make the first layer without clogging the 0.4mm nozzle on the Snapmaker 2.0. Dry your filament!!

For the record, I had printed quite a lot of this filament before on the Snapmaker when ABS worked lol, only problems were just the usual layer adhesion or Layer delamination/warping, NOT clogging. This is the 3rd nozzle replaced and was new. PLA works fine, but I want ABS as my go to filament. I love it's properties and Acetone vapor bathing for "functional" parts.

I have NEVER successfully printed ABS in the first shot as I did with this!!

First off they are thing, somewhat complicated compared to a disk for a bulkhead, and parts fit together like a glove.

I used the default settings in Bambu Studio. Textured build plate, no glue stick. After completely cooling they were easily removed. The filament was first dried for 12 Hrs using the X1, keeping in the ABS will negate the need of for that everytime.

FWIW, the printer Autolevels the print Bed, and Inspects the 1st print layer each time you print reducing failure.

Of the slicers I used, I find Bambu Studio the most intuitive. But I'm no slicer expert and rarely tweak unless absolutely necessary. With that being said, the help is phenomenal with thee how and more importantly, why of a particular choice!

Again, go online to learn more if you go the Bambu route.

My highly recommended tutorial, link to the complete playlist!
          This guy is good and setting explanation will help anyone!

Bambu Slicer Tutorials

My highly recommended tutorial, link to the complete playlist!

Let's look at the prints!

Again, I would never have had these results using ABS on my enclosed Snapmaker, much less even tried it! This was "as is" with default settings!

Print Time was 6h47m

Judge for yourself.

Now here is the desiccant setup in the AMS unit.

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20240526_115922050.jpg Views:	0 Size:	55.9 KB ID:	180332
          Filling the front holders.

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20240526_121319201.jpg Views:	0 Size:	56.2 KB ID:	180333
          Filling the under reel holders.

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20240526_122556312.MP.jpg Views:	0 Size:	57.3 KB ID:	180334
          ​Desiccant holders installed in the AMS.

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20240526_122608823.jpg Views:	0 Size:	57.2 KB ID:	180335
          The AMS already dropped down to 10% RH while outside it's a rather balmy 71% in my garage! Note the Internal thermometer is in Farenheit, I subsequently changed it to Celsius.

This is agrees with the simple AMS onboard Humidity indicator, shown as LEVEL 1 (the Dryest).

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20240526_133824057.jpg Views:	0 Size:	61.5 KB ID:	180336

That's it for now.

I do hope to get a multi color print by the end of this Memorial day weekend to see how that works. I'll post it.

Finally, to be honest, I couldn't care less which printer you think is the best,. I'm not writing this as a comparison piece other than with my frustration in printing the material I want, the first time, without errors on my recent experience with the 3 yo Snapmaker. Maybe it's just old, or I'm not realizing how humid the day's were, etc. I really don't care. Also, I'm not concerned about the speed of a printer, only that prints are a success. I don't run a print farm, or sell anything. In my not so humble opinion, more time is wasted on bad or failed print than anything else.

This printer just worked right, out of the box, with the default settings.

Which again IMNSHO, is perfect for those of you new to 3D FDM printing!

This is the one to beat.

Be cool.
          Last edited by QuarterMaster; 05-26-2024, 10:20 AM.
          v/r "Sub" Ed

USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

• QuarterMaster
            Rear Admiral
            • Sep 2015

Time-lapse video of that aforementioned print.

Awesome tool!

New Tool in the Shed! Bambu Labs X1 Carbon: First Print Test!
            v/r "Sub" Ed

Comment

• tifosi12
              Commander
              • Jul 2020

All pretty exciting stuff, thanks for sharing!

I always thought that 3d printing today is where dot matrix printers were back in the eighties. Give this technology a couple decades and you'll get super detailed, full size prints in color (not that I needed that) for a fraction of the cost in no time. I'm sure we're only seeing the tip of the iceberg now.

Comment

Working...