• biggsgolf
    Captain
    • Jan 2020

3d cad files for subs

How are 3D CAD Files for Subs created?

• Subculture
    Admiral
    • Feb 2009

Depends on the software used and the type of boat you’re trying to model. A symmetrical hull of revolution is far easier than say a Type VII boat.

Comment

• biggsgolf
      Captain
      • Jan 2020

Originally posted by Subculture
      Depends on the software used and the type of boat you’re trying to model. A symmetrical hull of revolution is far easier than say a Type VII boat.
      Which Software's are the most intuitive and preferred? I may take a stab at it if I can get my head around it

Comment

• CC Clarke
        Lieutenant Commander
        • Aug 2020

A 3D modeling/CAD program is used to define the desired shape.

Once the 3D shape is created, the modeling program saves it in a compatible format for a Printer's 3D slicing software. Slicing software turns the 3D shape code into a 3D printer-friendly format that defines the printed shape for the printer to create.

There are two types of modeling: Hard Surface and Organic.

A 3D extruded disk with a hole in the center would be a hard surface 3D example of a washer.
        A human face model would be an example of an organic surface. Both types of modeling require a different skill set.

Modeling requires learning the workflow of the software and gaining enough experience to create desired the 3D shapes efficiently and quickly.

There are two (general) types of printers: Resin and FDM.

Resin can produce a nearly flawless surface with sub-50 micron detail. It is messy to work with when cleaning freshly-printed parts.

FDM printing uses melted plastic filament. It gives poor detail with heavy layer lines that must be sanded and filled to remove. It prints relatively fast, and the printer can be quickly turned around to begin printing another part.

Slicing conversion is automatic, and for FDM printing, easy to set up. Resin printing has a steeper learning curve to get the best quality prints when setting up supports and proper part angles but once you get the hang of it, (through multiple failures) it isn't difficult to configure.

Comment

• Subculture
          Admiral
          • Feb 2009

Originally posted by biggsgolf

Which Software's are the most intuitive and preferred?
          One of those questions where ten different people will give ten different answers.

I'm no expert in this, but what I would say is start small.

I like Fusion 360, which is free for hobbyists with a few limitations (which are unlikely to bother you), there are tons of free online tutorials for this software. Other free alternatives I've tried are Onshape, Freecad, Tinkercad and DesignSpark Mechanical.

Comment

Working...