Congratulations to Dave on his 10,626th "15 minute of Fame Moment"!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • QuarterMaster
    Rear Admiral
    • Sep 2015

Congratulations to Dave on his 10,626th "15 minute of Fame Moment"!

Our very own shipmate Capt. Merriman continues to to show up when needed, deservedly so.

But in this case, Rose got the cameo....

What Happened to the SEAVIEW from VOYAGE to the BOTTOM of the SEA?
    Dan Monroe / Movies, Music & Monsters

Of course Dave has given us greater detail to this story.
    v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
    NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
    USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS
  • Fishb0y
    Lieutenant
    • Jul 2023

And here I am thinking I was going to break the news on an obscure member of this forum...
    Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go on an overnight drunk, and in 10 days I'm going to set out to find the shark that ate my friend and destroy it. Anyone who wants to tag along is more than welcome.

Comment

• Davjacva
      Commander
      • Nov 2022

Wow, you can see what everyone's Youtube experience is right here on the forum. I saw it last night. That photo of the little girl besides the Seaview in Dave's backyard is not Rose, as this was taken about 6+ years before Rose was born. I think the sub was gone from his back yard 92-95. I bet it was still there when you all first started going to Groton. Would've been a great source for Ray Mason when he did his (did he do Nautilus first or Seaview?). It's a completely hilarious story how Dave got this thing and what went on. You don't even need beer for it. An engineer co-worker, who's a sci-fi modeler was telling me one time when he was in high school and lived in Carper Navy housing here at the beach he had a neighbor that had this very large Seaview in his garage. So I went online and Google'd photos showing it when Dave lived in Carper housing. The guy was floored that that happened. So this thing Dave had for at least 13 years. He got it in Navy housing in Mayport, Fl, then it was up here in housing, then finally moved to his current residence. Crazy stuff in people's backyards.
      Later in that same backyard, the FBM sub from 'The Abyss' was rotting back in the corner behind some weeds. I was back there with Ellie one day and I asked her what it was. Brian Starkes (forum member) finally asked Dave for it years later. Good news is Brian is a perfectionist, bad thing is that he has about 52,035 projects going on.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Davjacva
        Wow, you can see what everyone's Youtube experience is right here on the forum. I saw it last night. That photo of the little girl besides the Seaview in Dave's backyard is not Rose, as this was taken about 6+ years before Rose was born. I think the sub was gone from his back yard 92-95. I bet it was still there when you all first started going to Groton. Would've been a great source for Ray Mason when he did his (did he do Nautilus first or Seaview?). It's a completely hilarious story how Dave got this thing and what went on. You don't even need beer for it. An engineer co-worker, who's a sci-fi modeler was telling me one time when he was in high school and lived in Carper Navy housing here at the beach he had a neighbor that had this very large Seaview in his garage. So I went online and Google'd photos showing it when Dave lived in Carper housing. The guy was floored that that happened. So this thing Dave had for at least 13 years. He got it in Navy housing in Mayport, Fl, then it was up here in housing, then finally moved to his current residence. Crazy stuff in people's backyards.
        Later in that same backyard, the FBM sub from 'The Abyss' was rotting back in the corner behind some weeds. I was back there with Ellie one day and I asked her what it was. Brian Starkes (forum member) finally asked Dave for it years later. Good news is Brian is a perfectionist, bad thing is that he has about 52,035 projects going on.
        13 frig'n years! I never did the math. Here's a bit more background on our restoration work:

Who is John Galt?

Comment

• QuarterMaster
          Rear Admiral
          • Sep 2015

Originally posted by Davjacva
          That photo of the little girl besides the Seaview in Dave's backyard is not Rose,

Yes, I had gotten that confused in the past, having met young Rose back in 2003ish while looking at a potential job offer in the area. Dave and Ellie gave us the grand tour of the area. Something I'm eternally grateful for,

Dave did tell us recently that was a young neighbor who was entranced by the SEAVIEW, One can't blame her.

"I’m afraid, Dave. Dave, my mind is going. I can feel it. I can feel it. My mind is going. There is no question about it. I can feel it."
          v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
          NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
          USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

• redboat219
            Admiral
            • Dec 2008

Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1718349716352.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	180731 https://bid.juliensauctions.com/lot-...Model-with-DVD
            Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• Alucard
              Lieutenant Commander
              • Aug 2023

That is so cool being able to buy the large Seaview model and to be able to afford it.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Alucard
                That is so cool being able to buy the large Seaview model and to be able to afford it.
                The guy who commissioned us to do the restoration -- which we completed -- disappeared and stiffed us.

After being stuck with the thing for over a decade, in which time it saw three house moves, Ellie got a call from Greg Jein (one the industries most renowned effects miniature makers and avid collector), for whom we were doing third-party miniature work. Greg heard through the grape-vine that we had the thing. He called and offered 3K for the SEAVIEW.

After that call, me... idiot me... reached out, like a ****ing moron to the guy who saddled us with this huge lawn-ornament -- the supposed owner (who commissioned the restoration in the first place) -- and told him our intention of selling it to recoup our fee. Mr. Ass-Hole pleaded poverty but would arrange a truck to get it back to him and asked if we would be agreeable to our payment soon thereafter.

Long story short: The SEAVIEW was sent off to this schmuck. He (of course) never paid and went dark... again.

And Ellie saw to it I never talked directly to a customer again without her unconditional concurrence.

We got horse-****ed on that job!

And now I learn (glad Ellie is not around to take in this revelation!) the miniature sold at auction for nearly a quarter-million bucks!

Yikes.

David
                Stupid, Gullible, Idiot
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Alucard
                  Lieutenant Commander
                  • Aug 2023

David, I'm sorry to hear that, when you have a troublesome customer always get the money upfront. In my opinion if a person has not paid or contacted you for a year the item is yours and you had it for 10 years.
                  Your not stupid you trust people and that is a noble trait unfortunately there are a lot of bad people in the world. At least you had a chance to touch the original prop from the series.

Comment

• Davjacva
                    Commander
                    • Nov 2022

Originally posted by QuarterMaster

Yes, I had gotten that confused in the past, having met young Rose back in 2003ish while looking at a potential job offer in the area. Dave and Ellie gave us the grand tour of the area. Something I'm eternally grateful for,

Dave did tell us recently that was a young neighbor who was entranced by the SEAVIEW, One can't blame her.

"I’m afraid, Dave. Dave, my mind is going. I can feel it. I can feel it. My mind is going. There is no question about it. I can feel it."[/FONT][/SIZE]
                    It's easy to do. The photos of HIlda working around it are also a misrepresentation, as she's the one who actually feeds Eloi to the Morlocks who work for Dave :) Slave labor

Comment

• Davjacva
                      Commander
                      • Nov 2022

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

The guy who commissioned us to do the restoration -- which we completed -- disappeared and stiffed us.

After being stuck with the thing for over a decade, in which time it saw three house moves, Ellie got a call from Greg Jein (one the industries most renowned effects miniature makers and avid collector), for whom we were doing third-party miniature work. Greg heard through the grape-vine that we had the thing. He called and offered 3K for the SEAVIEW.

After that call, me... idiot me... reached out, like a ****ing moron to the guy who saddled us with this huge lawn-ornament -- the supposed owner (who commissioned the restoration in the first place) -- and told him our intention of selling it to recoup our fee. Mr. Ass-Hole pleaded poverty but would arrange a truck to get it back to him and asked if we would be agreeable to our payment soon thereafter.

Long story short: The SEAVIEW was sent off to this schmuck. He (of course) never paid and went dark... again.

And Ellie saw to it I never talked directly to a customer again without her unconditional concurrence.

We got horse-****ed on that job!

And now I learn (glad Ellie is not around to take in this revelation!) the miniature sold at auction for nearly a quarter-million bucks!

Yikes.

David
                      Stupid, Gullible, Idiot
                      You need to sit down and write the WHOLE story out. About the clown traveling across the country to bring it to you with it strapped ontop of a van, then you all traveling with him to a model show it Orlando..with it strapped on top of the van. Then the van breaks down enroute. When you think about when you got it, about 1980, the show had only been off the air for 12 years, then you had it for 13 years. Crazy thinking that thing we from Navy housing in Mayport, to Navy Housing in Virginia Beach, and only the last 3-4 years it was at your house.
                      How much did the thing weigh? Could you move it/ flip it by yourself?

Comment

Working...