X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • QuarterMaster
    Rear Admiral
    • Sep 2015

60’s Animation Challenge

Fantastic Voyage (Animated TV series) 1968-69 , was hands down my favorite Saturday morning cartoon back in the day. At that time I thought it was the slickest thing since the movie it was based on came out. Granted I was only 7 at the time.

Aurora Model Company released a plastic model of the VOYAGER, which received only one press run due to the short run of the show. As a result, it is one of the rarest kits to find in the Aurora line. Not knowing it existed even, I had inadvertently found one in a toy store sometime in the mid seventies (a must have for me) and it is the 2nd Plastic model I ever built on my own. The first being the SEAVIEW.

It was eventually lost as many things from our youth are.

Fast forward to 2008, where lo and behold I stumble across the Moebius Models version retooled from an original kit. Without a thought it ended up in the (literal) shopping cart. I happen to think it's a really cool looking vehicle!! Very 60's.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Voyager.jpg Views:	0 Size:	78.7 KB ID:	169019

Originally planned as a static model diorama for retirement, I’ve been toying lately with the idea of an RC conversion. Like VTTBOTS flying sub FS-1, it’s both a sub and a flying craft. No control surfaces to speak of, so it would need to be approached much in the same manner as Rick Teskey did with his FS-1 and what Bob is attempting to do in kit form. However, the internal volume of this kit is MUCH smaller than the 1:32 FS-1. But look what Jason did with the 1:128th model!

Is anything really too small?

Regardless, I just may pick up a 2nd kit and save one for that static model diorama I have planned. But for now both projects are on the back burner as I have plenty of other stuff in the queue to build.

Also, this is NOT the “challenge” I mean to put out here.

Since this surfaced recently in my rather chaotic brain, I thought I‘d go take a look and see if I could find that old series I held so dear in my memory. Lo and behold one can easily find all 17 ½ hr episodes on YouTube. Isn’t Tech wonderful? With eager anticipation I sat down the other night and bright up the first episode “The Gathering of the Team" ready to be transported back to the open eyed wonder of my youth!!

Boy are both memory and adulthood worth $#*!

I can’t tell you how difficult it was to sit through the first episode. The animation and storytelling was so poor my now adult brain, some 54 years later barely had the ability to sit through it. I was even kind of embarrassed for expecting so much lol. Am I being harsh? Granted it was a show for children, but man was it....poor.

I surprised how poorly done it was considering what it had been based off the movie of of the same name by the same 20th Century Fox. From my understanding it was originally slated to be a live action series, but as budgets go it progressed to this. Oh what could have been....sigh. I’m hoping it gets better as it progresses. I guess I’m too accustomed to today’s animated practices. But really? Characters Guru and Busby Birdwell?? But I'm determined to see it through.

Does anyone else have that hard a time looking back at what they once thought as awesome?

I’m not going to sit here and critique a 54 yo kid show that barely lasted a season, but I am going to say that sometimes it’s not the best thing to go back and look at something you remember fondly. Leave it where it sits in that precious childhood memory of yours.

So here’s the challenge!

Sit through ALL 17 episodes, and if you do, please post any submarine feature (series/movie/animated or not) that is TOUGH to sit through and post it for our collective misery. One thing that comes to mind is that abortion Dave Merriman selected at SubFest 2022 and then he cut out on us!

If anything, this will help with late night insomnia:

Fantastic Voyage: The complete series

Go ahead…I dare ya!
    Last edited by QuarterMaster; 01-28-2023, 07:27 PM.
    v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
    NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
    USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by QuarterMaster
    One thing that comes to mind is that abortion Dave Merriman selected at SubFest 2022 and then he cut out on us!

Go ahead…I dare ya!

Who is John Galt?

Comment

• QuarterMaster
      Rear Admiral
      • Sep 2015

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
      See all y'all! (Insert East Texan drawl)

Dave "get's " me! (Sad as that is!!)

BTW, some other FV (animated) fans exist:

The Voyager, from the TV Series cartoon "Fantastic Voyage"

There is value in a "simple" static model.

Despite Bob's argument that RC models don't look "right" without weathering, I save that for my static models.
      I run my boats enough they weather naturally lol! I at least get "whisky" dings from myself and target craft, so redoing that perfect paint job unsettles my brain.

Like everything, it's a personal choice. Paint it pink for all I care. Wait, I've seen 2 RC subs in my life painted that color!!
      v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
      NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
      USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

• rwtdiver
        Vice Admiral
        • Feb 2019

Originally posted by QuarterMaster

See all y'all! (Insert East Texan drawl)

Dave "get's " me! (Sad as that is!!)

BTW, some other FV (animated) fans exist:

The Voyager, from the TV Series cartoon "Fantastic Voyage"

There is value in a "simple" static model.

Despite Bob's argument that RC models don't look "right" without weathering, I save that for my static models.
        I run my boats enough they weather naturally lol! I at least get "whisky" dings from myself and target craft, so redoing that perfect paint job unsettles my brain.

Like everything, it's a personal choice. Paint it pink for all I care. Wait, I've seen 2 RC subs in my life painted that color!!
        Ed,

I do agree about the Submarine paint finishes. I love the roll-out-look! Besides! No scum line in my chlorinated swimming pool! Like you said "Choices"

Rob
        "Firemen can stand the heat."

Comment

Working...