X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • redboat219
    Admiral
    • Dec 2008

Restored WW2 Biber

Just add a couple of working torpedoes and witness the firepower of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL Biber.
    Make it simple, make strong, make it work!
  • JHapprich
    Captain
    • Oct 2017

You are aware those midgets were good at killing their pilots but useless for sinking ships?

Comment

• redboat219
      Admiral
      • Dec 2008

I wonder what would have happened if the Kreigsmarine decided on electric only propulsion and used a mother sub (Type IX) to transport the Bibers to their area of operation.
      Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• JHapprich
        Captain
        • Oct 2017

I can tell you: more waste of life. How should electric propulsion improve that coffin? Remember the Biber was a failure and it was designed after manned electric torpedos had failed, too. How would that type IX get past Allied patrols? Type IX was out-dated already by the time the Biber was deployed. Two weapons on a backyard-tinkered "Volkswagen" platform.One man to do the job of an entire crew in a non-automated vessel, that barely worked in a lake! No sight, 1 metre above the water.Ridiculous. There is only one real submarine threat at that time, namely the Type XXI, and gladly those came too late to attack the Invasion Fleet and the resume the convoy war.Frankly i am glad about that, otherwise we would not be chatting here with WWII prolonged in Europe as those two nukes of '45 were originally intended for central Germany.

Comment

• JHapprich
          Captain
          • Oct 2017

I recommend reading THIS:

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220118_185759.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	158097

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by JHapprich
            I can tell you: more waste of life. How should electric propulsion improve that coffin? Remember the Biber was a failure and it was designed after manned electric torpedos had failed, too. How would that type IX get past Allied patrols? Type IX was out-dated already by the time the Biber was deployed. Two weapons on a backyard-tinkered "Volkswagen" platform.One man to do the job of an entire crew in a non-automated vessel, that barely worked in a lake! No sight, 1 metre above the water.Ridiculous. There is only one real submarine threat at that time, namely the Type XXI, and gladly those came too late to attack the Invasion Fleet and the resume the convoy war.Frankly i am glad about that, otherwise we would not be chatting here with WWII prolonged in Europe as those two nukes of '45 were originally intended for central Germany.
            K-Korps was one tough group of hard-core guys. And, as things transpired, many of them were reduced to high-tech cannon fodder. Such is mechanized warfare.

Finally. A sober look at was, what was not, and why things turnout as they did. Well done, Happrich.

History, too often these days, is the playground of arm-chair Admirals. I invite those so interested in man's greatest outdoor activity to slip on the uniform of your country and try reality on for size. A four-year tour would do.

No quicker way to de-romanticize the destruction game than to have been a pawn pushed along the board. Most instructive. And such experience will convey to anyone how lucky we all are that the chips fell as they did during the last world war.

Don't think so? View, The Man in the High Castle series. Heisenberg, Lippisch, Walther, Sanger, Schriever(?), Messerschmitt... given time they could have won the war for the Axis.

David
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...