Couple of videos taken at the Brockwell Dive-in last Sunday.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Subculture
    Admiral
    • Feb 2009

Couple of videos taken at the Brockwell Dive-in last Sunday.

Ramesh's new Engel 212, sans paint.

Chris Netherways scratch built Grondin, including DIY R/C.

• Subculture
    Admiral
    • Feb 2009

Couple more, this time by Chris Netherway filmed from his Grondin and Vanguard class.

Comment

• Albion
      Captain
      • Dec 2008

Very good, i wondered how that video would look. would be good to make the trailing system more invisible
      Next time someone points out it takes 42 muscles to frown, point out it will only take 4 muscles to b1tch slap them if they tell you how mnay muscles you need to smile:pop

Comment

• Subculture
        Admiral
        • Feb 2009

I agree, although by using a thinner cord, you run the risk of it getting caught up in the prop.

Comment

• Kazzer
          • Aug 2008

Try some 20-50lb test fishing line - almost invisible and if you attached it from the sail and on the other end attach it slightly offcenter, I think you'd fix the problem. Imagine a horse pulling a barge on the canal. They never put the line on the bow, it was set back alongside a few feet, so it steered itself away from the bank.
          Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Kazzer
            Try some 20-50lb test fishing line - almost invisible and if you attached it from the sail and on the other end attach it slightly offcenter, I think you'd fix the problem. Imagine a horse pulling a barge on the canal. They never put the line on the bow, it was set back alongside a few feet, so it steered itself away from the bank.
            Like the fly-around body used by the ALBACORE during self-noise studies. Mike's idea here has merit.

David,
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Subculture
              Admiral
              • Feb 2009

That's food for thought, I'll forward on your suggestions to Chris. I'll probably have a go myself too, as I will have the 808 cam watertight housing finished shortly- in time for the Summer Dive-in when we get a pool for the whole weekend to muck about in. These shoot in 720P HD, so the picture quality should be better than Actioncam and Flycamone2, and they also have a much wider field of view.

Andy

Comment

• Mankster
                Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                • Apr 2009

It this a one off camera housing or can you make somemore?

Comment

• Subculture
                  Admiral
                  • Feb 2009

It's a two piece GRP teardrop enclosure with a radial o-ring seal at the widest point. The masters are waxed and PVA'd, so should be moulding this week.

I plan to do a few (your name is on the list) and supply them on a limited basis as a pair of mouldings much like a miniature ballfish, leaving the builder to fashion a sealing ring and fixing mechanism. I have four 808 cams now, three 'version 3' standard definition cams, and one 'version 11' 720P HD cam.

The idea is to hand them out at the Dive-ins so that people can clip them on to their boats. With a much smaller footprint- under half the wetted area of an action cam- and a shape optimised for streamlining I'm keeping my fingers crossed that these will work well on smaller models where the Actioncams might upset the boats handling.
                  Last edited by Subculture; 04-02-2011, 03:53 AM.

Comment

• Mankster
                    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                    • Apr 2009

Good stuff...... "Bring your own Micro SD card and borrow a SubCam for the day..." Good selling feature.
                    Whats the mounting system like?

Comment

• Subculture
                      Admiral
                      • Feb 2009

My idea was to resin/glue in a brass threaded bush into the bottom compatible with a tripod mount- think they're 1/4" UNC thread from memory, will have to check.

Then you could use a variety of ready made adapters or grow your own, adapt Actioncam stuff etc. I thought the best way to fix it to a generic sub hull would be to use releaseable zip tie, cheap, readily available, doesn't add weight or bulk. The other possibility are those velcro straps I see in hardware stores, but they're rather more expensive and also more bulky.

Andy

Comment

Working...