• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • redboat219
    Admiral
    • Dec 2008

Bob's Modular Sub System

Interesting concept.

Why did you opt for a servo operated equalization valve in lieu of a simple float operated snorkel head valve?
    Last edited by redboat219; 10-07-2020, 09:23 AM. Reason: added simple
    Make it simple, make strong, make it work!
  • RCSubGuy
    Welcome to my underwater realm!
    • Aug 2009

The servo operated valve is self contained in the watertight area as opposed to being remotely mounted. More control via the operator, and the design is less prone to leaking.

Comment

• redboat219
      Admiral
      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by SubHuman
      The servo operated valve is self contained in the watertight area as opposed to being remotely mounted. More control via the operator, and the design is less prone to leaking.
      Any risk of dumping water that accidentally got inside the induction pipe into the box?

What about a sump to catch any water drops?

Comment

• RCSubGuy
        Welcome to my underwater realm!
        • Aug 2009

It was manually controlled in the first iteration, so people had to be relied on not to be stupid and open the valve when submerged. I am now testing a slick water detection circuit that will automate that entirely and take it out of stupid hands altogether.

Comment

• redboat219
          Admiral
          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by SubHuman
          It was manually controlled in the first iteration, so people had to be relied on not to be stupid and open the valve when submerged. I am now testing a slick water detection circuit that will automate that entirely and take it out of stupid hands altogether.
          Yes, but unless you have something closing off the top end water will inevitably get inside the induction pipe when you dive. So even if your sensor tells you the snorkel has already broken the water surface you may have standing water inside your pipe and you'll get an influx of water when you open the equalization valve. Maybe not enough to sink your boat but enough to short out vital components.
          Last edited by redboat219; 10-07-2020, 12:28 PM.

Comment

• redboat219
            Admiral
            • Dec 2008

Remember “It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.”

Comment

Working...